A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Job Seekers

Old 12-14-2007, 08:18 AM
Novice

New Hampshire
how long after the interview will you hear

I interviewed at a charter school Tuesday. I have yet to hear from the school yet. What are indications that you got the job? How long does it take for them to make a decision? Fyi the principal of the charter school didn't make the interview. All the teachers and a parent were there. My interview lasted 45 minutes an hour if you count the tour.

Old 12-14-2007, 07:45 PM
Companion

Virginia
I had an interview Tuesday as well. I subbed in the school where I student taught today and the principal (who was in the interview) asked me if I'd heard anything. When I told him no, he told me that, while the school board will do official hiring at the next meeting in January, that I should get ready to get to work.

When I got home this afternoon, there was a message on my machine telling me that they wanted to recommend me and asking if I would accept the job if they did.

It seemed like I was worried sick all week, but it was really just three days. I won't tell you not to worry because I know you will anyway, but I'd give it some more time before I worried too much.

Good luck!
Old 12-15-2007, 08:33 AM
Novice

New Hampshire
I'm happy to hear that you got the job or are well on your way. I used to teach in VA. I'm hoping to hear soon. If I don't hear by Friday of next week I'll give them a call. I think they may have been distracted with snow and stuff. Ugh It's been two yrs since I've moved back from VA thinking of moving back
Old 12-15-2007, 08:46 AM
Habitué

2/3 Split
What about sending a thank you e-mail and in it asking about when you might be expected to hear.

You also might consider making that one of your questions at the end of the interview. I've asked, "What is the time-line for this job?" or "When can I expect to hear from you?"
Old 12-15-2007, 09:30 AM
Aficionado

California, USA
2nd & 3rd Grade Multiage
I remember Adam Waxler (I think it was him) saying you should not worry about being annoying by following up. You should follow up, and say you're looking forward to hearing from them.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:41 AM
Companion

4th Grade Teacher
I went on two interviews before I got hired. The first one, the principal promised she would call back within a few days to let me know either way. She never called back. I didn't follow up because I kinda knew I wasn't going to get the job anyway, and it wasn't a position I was overly interested in. She did call me a couple of months later because another position had opened up, one I was more qualified for, but by then I'd already been hired for my current job.

The second interview I did was the one for my current job. I interviewed on a Tuesday and was told I would hear back by the following Tuesday, so I wasn't expecting to hear anything until at least the end of the week. But the very next day, one of the principals who had interviewed me came over to my school (I was student teaching at a different school in the same district) and offered me the job in person! I was blown away.

So I guess it really just depends. It depends on who's doing the hiring, how many other people they've interviewed, what their time frame is, etc. Don't take it personally if you don't get called back right away. It doesn't necessarily mean they weren't interested in you... like I said, the first district that interviewed me didn't call back when they said they would, but the principal did remember me later and wanted to do another interview.

Good luck; I hope you get the position you want!
Old 12-23-2007, 10:04 AM
Novice

New Hampshire
I did send a thank you letter and still didn't hear until I called on Friday. I'm so upset because I can get the interviews but no job. I've done the practice interview thing with different principals, taught 1 and a half yrs in VA(Got that interview straight straight over the phone), was an aide for three, did a maternity leave at the end of last year, subbed etc. What is going on??? Tears. I don't know how long I can put myself out there. It hurts because I know that I'm a good teacher and hard worker. My older sister who is a teacher has even used my stuff in the classroom. So I'm good enough to give family and friends my teaching ideas but can't seem to get a job myself . Help!!!!I don't know what to do. I have an Med in Education, Ba in psych Carear change???
Old 03-10-2008, 12:03 PM
Newcomer

NH, USA
Substitute Teacher
PenCelia, Have read many of your posts. I know your frustration. I,,too, live in NH and have taught in both Maine (where I was certified) and Canada, but still have to take yet another Praxis test. We moved here the summer of 2006. Right now I am subbing and it is very frustrating to have to start all over again.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:17 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
Welcome to A to Z, Zionpro. If Praxis is a problem for you, you might want to visit A to Z's Examinations for Teachers forum, http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/f...aysprune=&f=43.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:31 PM
Multitudinous

Texas
PenCelia, have you looked at Adam Waxler's ebook on this site? I know that several teachers have gotten their current jobs after reading his book. I know I've left more comfortable in my interviews after reading his book. Don't give up hope just yet. I know that most state testing is happening around this time so principals are sure to be busy with that.

Tags
hear, interview, long