A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 12-05-2007, 05:39 PM
Rookie

Pennsylvania
mixed ability classroom

I am starting a new cycle tomorrow and I need to create a seating chart. I broke up my grouped tables ( I had a horrible 2 cycles and think it may help) and will have classes with mixed abilities. There will be ESOL and learning support, average and honors students in my Family & Consumer Science classes (no cooking, no sewing). Does anyone have an opinion on the best way to seat them? Together or dispersed throughout? It's easier to assist a group of kids with the same problem but I did have behavior issues with the tables. Hopefully the separate desk arrangement will help but now how do I place the students? Thoughts?

Old 12-05-2007, 08:39 PM
Aficionado

I try to group with fairly mixed ability-- for the most part. If I have a couple of kids that need so much help the other kids won't be able to work independently with me there all the time, I will group them together. Likewise, sometimes I group my gifted kids together since they spend so much time helping other people.

I change tables every 3 weeks. I try to balance it so everyone sits with everyone. It's not fair for the calm kids or the strong academic kids to always be paired with noisy kids or the kids who ask them for help all the time- however, mixing is good for the most part. I think a break once in awhile is good too.... this is pretty ambiguous... sorry!

Tags
ability, classroom, mixed