A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Early Childhood Education Archives

Old 04-09-2004, 09:36 AM
Companion

Preschool graduation ideas-- 6 weeks and counting.

Can we start a thread on graduation ideas --

I am looking for a song to play as the kids march in. I do not want the traditional graduation song. Last year, we marched in to "I Hope You Dance" by LeAnne Womack. I would like something different.

What do you all use for caps and gowns?
How long is your ceremony?
So far, the kids will be singing one song -- one of my parents (and good friend) wrote a song for us and he will accompany with the acoustic guitar. I would like to incorporate a few more songs.

Also, I want to recognize my parent volunteers with a rose -- I'll ask one child to present to the parent -- any other suggestions?

End of the school gifts for kids???

There is not that much time --6 weeks or so and much work to be done.

Old 04-18-2004, 08:38 AM
Companion

Anyone have any ideas/suggestions?
TIA.
Old 04-18-2004, 08:48 AM
Cohort

Collingswood, NJ
Assistant Principal
My kids absolutely loved Chicka Chicka Boom Boom so we will probably sing the song and make props to go along with it for graduation. I am also giving each of them a copy of Chicka Chicka Boom Boom (I got them with my Scholastic bonus points) with a short personal message from myself and my aide in the front cover. I am also having the kids each put their thumbprint on the back cover and signing their names. At the top I will write "You are 'Thumbody' Special." Then I plan on making a copy of the tape I got to go along with the book with Ray Charles reading the book and John Archembault talking about the book for each of the children.

I also want to try to find inexpenive stationary sets (hopefully I can find something in the dollar store) and give one to each of the children. I want to address some of the envelopes and put stamps on them so the children can write to me and let me know how they are doing since I will be in another state and won't be able to visit them next year .

Last year the kids were each assigned a month of the year and helped write a short poem about what we did in school during that month (I have a small class as it is a small private school). They were dressed in clothes appropriate for that month and had props that went along with what was in their poem. The year before the children helped rewrite the song "The Ants Go Marching" into "The Kindergarteners Go Marching." Again they each helped write something about what we did during the year and had props to go with it. We also wrote "Who Am I" poems and I read them at the end of the ceremony. The parents had to guess which child it was and that child came up to get their diploma.
Old 04-18-2004, 06:20 PM
Companion

Canada
Kindergarten Teacher
We play "I Wonder If I'm Growing" by Raffi as the children come in in their caps and sashes. I recorded it 3 times so it would be just long enough. It's a beautiful song and the parents love it.
As mentioned, the children wear caps and sashes which were made by volunteers long ago. We have a couple of short plays, 2 songs and a couple of recitations, it takes about 40 minutes and then we have a lunch in the classroom for kids and parents.
Old 04-18-2004, 07:16 PM
Newcomer

preschool graduation

We have 2 classes graduating at the same time. What we do is divide the program into 4 parts, emphasizing the ways that the children have grown: physically, intellectually, emotionally, and spiritually (we're a Christian preschool) and do an activity with 4-5 kids from each class, on the stage, for each area. We pick a favorite parachute game, such as fast and slow, for physical growth; we sign the song "Friends, Friends, 123" for emotional growth, we act out the song "Five Little Speckled Frogs" for intellectual growth, and our pastor tells a story for spiritual growth. Then our director calls out each child's name, and they come up to get their diploma. The whole program lasts about 30 min. then the children and parents enjoy refreshments.
Old 04-19-2004, 09:10 PM
Rookie

Grand Fanale

Hi,

We don't have a graduation b/c most of my class is 3 and 4, but the four year olds do move into another classroom. We do have a fine program. We always follow the program with a pot luck.

We tye dye T-shirts (those moving into another classroom make green (for go) and those who will be in my room agian make blue) and write their names on them in big print. We don't make the graduation caps but the teacher for the older class does and she just takes the party hats (we found 10 packs at the dallar store) and cut of the top and add poster board flat on the top.

Usually I have the class vote on thier favorite songs we have learned this year to sing (each year the group picks differnt songs). Some of the songs are on CD and some we just sing.

We march in last year the kids were blowing bubbles (but they spilled them throughout the program so we are not having bubbles this year). Then I usually welcome the parents and introduce the staff.

Then we sing our Good Morning Song that we start every day with. After that we sing three songs that the children have choosen. This year we are doing the Bubble Gum, Please Sit Still (Mr. AL CD), and the Mosquito Song (Penny and Pals CD).

Then I have a power point slide show that I have put together with pics of the kids doing daily activities.

After that we sing one more songs 5 Little Monkeys (Tony Chestnut CD).

Then we hand out the certifcate for the year and the children go sit with their families as they get their certif. After everyone has the certificate we sing our Good-Bye (The kids sing standing with their families)that we end with everyday.

Then everyone moves into the other classroom for a pot luck. It is great fun.

If anything is unclear please don't hesitate to e-mail me.

Becky
Old 04-28-2004, 06:04 AM
Unregistered

we have a little song the kids sing as they come in, it goes like this....

We are here to graduate, graduate, graduate.
We are here to graduate on this special day.

Its short and easy for the young ones to remember.
Old 05-10-2004, 09:37 PM
Unregistered

For a song the children can walk out to there is a song by Vitamin C called "graduation (friends forever)". It is a really excellent song. For parent volunteers, the children can make the flowers out of tissue paper and give them to the parents with a thank you card signed by the graduates.
Old 06-03-2004, 10:29 PM
ngatsby

Lightbulb preschool Graduation

For this Years Graduation our theme is Patriotic.. so we come in to the stage singing God bless America then followed by "The world is a rainbow",color my world crayola,we also sing "You are you" (with sign language) then we recite "i know number" then we closed with "Proud to be an American"...we also have 20 minutes of slide shows.
I just love our Graduation!!
Old 06-05-2004, 12:18 PM
Companion

Thanks for all the replies! We had it last night -- I kept it super simple and it was gerat!!!

The children sang three songs and one original song written by a parent accompanied by acoustic guitar -- they were so cute.

I made all the decorations along with the kids! We put together collages of them (pictures throughout the whole year). The parents each brought a dish (potluck) and we all had fun just relaxing.

monday is our last day. I like to end after the ceklebration because we can say our goodbyes in a quiet setting. We are also having a pajama party that day!

Tags
counting, graduation, ideas, preschool, weeks