A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Fifth Grade

Old 12-03-2007, 10:22 PM
Virtuoso

US of A
3/4, Classical Educator
What does guided reading look like in fifth grade?

I've never done guided reading before, ever. I've heard of it, learned about it in school, but never had the oppurtunity to try it out in my own classroom. When I taught kinder, I just did not have the resource to buy the books and none of our programs came with enough books to do guided reading. Well, I have the books now to try out guided reading. I haven't yet because, well, I'm clueless as to where to start. I did a little research on the web, but I found mostly information for younger grades. I figure, I'll just come right here and ask you guys.

Do you do guided reading, tips, suggestions, how long do you spend with each group? I imagine that you meet with the lower level group more often than the higher level group. Anyways, any help and ideas would be great. Thanks! Actually, a routine or schedule on your guided reading groups would be great. For example, what do you do first and how long, second and how long, etc. Oi!!! Am I asking too much?

Old 12-04-2007, 04:01 AM
Rookie

MD
5th Grade Teacher
At my school we teach guided reading every day for about 45 minutes. We have 3 groups- below, on, and above level. What reading program do you use? We use Houghton Mifflin and it comes with the series of guided books to use (although i find them to be very small and they certainly take NOWHERE near a week to get through). I spend the first 2-3 days getting through the books themselves and working on skill sheets. The program itself has very little to supplement the books-- maybe 3 worksheets, one of which is usually a crossword or some vocabulary sheet that I don't find beneficial.
I often pull language into GR, particularly for the low group that needs extrawork with it. I meet with the low group about 4 days a week, the middle group about the same, and the above group about 3 times a week. Each meeting is about 20 minutes or so. I teach mini-lessons on skills that go with the story or things that they have struggled with. I also integrate novels into GR with my high group and middle group at times. I have tons of resource books on projects that are skill based, so we usually do 1 of those a week. I also have a lot of skill games that I try and fit in. The high group also often gets to do research on things that relate to their book or the whole group story, and they share with the class.
I hope that this helps some-- if you have more questionsplease ask.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:42 PM
Novice

Utah
5th Grade Teacher
I use guided reading in my class, we just finished fiction books last term and are working on non-fiction this term. I have http://www.amazon.com/Guided-Reading...6822154&sr=8-2 <--this bookwhich has been extremely helpful as far as worksheets to copy and giving ideas as far as discussions you can have about the books. My students read for 20 minutes and then fill out their worksheets or make an outline about what they read. They enjoy having the freedom to choose a book, and can come up with very nice presentations once they finish the book. Though I teach the high class, I grouped last time by ability (which didn't work out so well because my lower kids did not focus as well and didn't actually finish the book before the end of the trimester. This time, I grouped on interest (had them write their top 3 book choices) and grouped from there, which is working out way better because I mixed up the low/troublemaking kids with very responsible kids who keep them on task. I let them choose the format of their presentation to the class, I had a couple groups make posters and tell about the book, a couple do plays and one did a puppet show (it was cute!!)

The teacher I student taught with had a bookmark kids filled out with vocabulary words, sequence of events, and so on...I have vocabulary sheets they use from time to time, but haven't found any brilliant bookmarks for high ability kids, I will keep looking or maybe make my own some time.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:59 AM
Groupie

Ohio
Peachy,
You need to go to Laura Candler's website. She is,or was, a fifth grade teacher who developed an outstanding literacy program. I use hers, as well as Fountas and Pinnell's, in my classroom. I have been teaching 5th for 6 years now, and have always used guided reading/literacy centers. My 5th grade LOVES the choices, the freedom of moving at their pace,and meeting with me in small group. Let us know what you think after you check out Laura's website!!!
Old 12-09-2007, 08:07 AM
Cohort

texas
5th Grade Bilingual
I do my guided reading in a variety of ways; I have a lot of groups, so although I began a novel with each group, many times we need to work on other skills, too. For the novel study, I've used a lot of the literature guides available online to make assessments/worksheets as groups finish each chapter. We preview their reading, discuss vocabulary, characters, setting and summarize what we have read so far. Then students read independently after we review what they need to complete when they are done (usually a graphic organizer or comprehension questions).

However, I need to cover other content areas in small groups so lit circles are just part of it. I also have science and social studies leveled readers (some come with our Scott Foresman lg. arts set, some from our Leveled Library, some from readingatoz.com) that I use to reinforce concepts. Sometimes we also do word study and focus on skills for their state assessment... whatever each group needs to work on.

Last edited by noreenk; 12-09-2007 at 08:08 AM. Reason: left out a word!
Old 12-10-2007, 08:16 PM
Newcomer

Naples,FL
5th Grade Teacher
Mr. S Guided Reading Lesson Plan

I have different groups. Low,low-medium,medium and high reading level. Each group is a different color: Purple, Blue, Orange and Grey. I do this so when I call them for guided reading, they don't know which group is low, medium, etc. Here is an examples of what I do during Guided Reading. I teach 15 minutes of Guided Reading - Monday to Thursday. Friday is FCAT Friday. I focus on different areas of this wonderful test. lol

Monday
California Gold Rush
Introduce Target “ Drawing Conclusions”
Vocab: nugget, overrun, shifted, blasted, and collapsed.
Predict
Read pp. 2-5
Answer questions 1-3

Tuesday
Vocab: jewelry, sapphire and indicates.
Review Target
Read pp. 6-10
Answer question: 4

Wednesday
Review Target
Read pp. 11-16
Model Target
Answer questions: 5 - 8

Thursday
Review questions 5-8
Review Target
Review entire story
Quiz on California Gold Rush

Let me know if you have more questions.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:12 PM
Newcomer

SC
English Language Arts K-12
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.S View Post
[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"][B]I have different groups. Low,low-medium,medium and high reading level. Each group is a different color: Purple, Blue, Orange and Grey. I do this so when I call them for guided reading, they don't know which group is low, medium, etc. Here is an examples of what I do during Guided Reading. I teach 15 minutes of Guided Reading - Monday to Thursday. Friday is FCAT Friday. I focus on different areas of this wonderful test. lol

Monday
California Gold Rush
Introduce Target “ Drawing Conclusions”
Vocab: nugget, overrun, shifted, blasted, and collapsed.
Predict
Read pp. 2-5
Answer questions 1-3

Tuesday
Vocab: jewelry, sapphire and indicates.
Review Target
Read pp. 6-10
Answer question: 4

Wednesday
Review Target
Read pp. 11-16
Model Target
Answer questions: 5 - 8

Thursday
Review questions 5-8
Review Target
Review entire story
Quiz on California Gold Rush

Let me know if you have more questions.[/B][/COLOR]
Old 07-27-2010, 09:15 PM
Newcomer

SC
English Language Arts K-12
I am trying to develop guided reading for a fifty minute class of levels from 1st grade to 5th grade. Anyone have any suggestions. I am grouping my standards for all grades to pick strategies for the lesson. My units are built on these standards. I will group my students by abilities since the grade levels are impossible. I do have lower readers in fifth. Thanks in advance to any suggestions.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:51 AM
Companion

Virginia
5th Grade Teacher
A book that is good is: The Next Step in Guided Reading by Jan Richardson. She has good ways to approach GR in upper grades (fluent plans) Our county works with her on reading training. I use her plans and ideas along with what I know from younger grades.

I make sure I see my lowest group 3-4 times a week. The middle groups 2 times a week and the highest (usually gifted kids) once a week, and I start them on a literature circle approach pretty soon into the year. (They're usually on an 8th or higher level)

I really like the site Reading A-Z and the printable books. They work well for my middle and low kids. It also gives some ideas on what to do in a group.

Reading groups are def. one of the best things that you can do in fifth. We have had teachers in 4 & 5 who do groups and those who dont, and those of us who do have higher state test scores and even better, more confident, successful readers!

Tags
grade, guided, reading