A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Fourth Grade

Old 11-28-2007, 01:11 PM
Rookie

Texas
4th Grade Teacher
tutoring ideas

So, hopefully someone can help me. I volunteered to do tutoring after school for my grade-level (4th) in reading. Granted, it's my first year to teach and I'm not sure what to do with the kids that won't bore them to tears. Are there reading games that deal with the main idea, summarizing, facts, etc? Any good books that I could share with them? I don't want to too many TAKS (we're in Texas) passages.... they get enough of those in class... Please, someone help me with fun ideas?

Thanks!!!

Old 11-28-2007, 03:56 PM
Multitudinous

Texas
My coop teacher while I was student teaching had a cause/effect game along with a fact/opinion game. I can't remember the company name. I want to say they have games for all those that you mentioned. Try amazon.com and search for games.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:54 PM
Rookie

North Carolina
4th Grade Teacher
I have some great games that I used once in a while during tutoring. They were inference, comparing and contrasting, main idea, etc. Do you have a teacher store in your area? That's where I found the games. If you have a class catalog such as Classroom Direct, you can find them in there also.
My students greatly enjoyed these games as an enhancement to the tutoring program.
Good luck!
Old 11-29-2007, 06:07 AM
Comrade

Special Education Teacher
I really like the resources from http://www.readinga-z.com/ . It is a paid site, but they have a ton of guided reading books, poems, graphic organizers, fluency passages, etc.

I also have used some of the games from Lakeshore Learning. They have some neat games for reading. http://www.lakeshorelearning.com
Old 11-29-2007, 11:08 AM
Novice

Iowa
Reading Teacher
When I tutored I used magazines and newspapers to do main idea. The kids loved it b/c they got to read something more than the normal book and they could always find a high interest article in the paper or magazine. If you do this though be sure to screen the paper and remove any articles that might not be apprpriate for them. I let the boys use the sports section a lot and the girls I tutored usually loved the celebrity news (I made sure it was appropriate). After they could write summaries of the articles I would start having them write tehir own articles based on what was happening in the school, i.e. boys basketball team wins, 4th grade Christmas play a hit.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:15 PM
Rookie

Texas
4th Grade Teacher
whew...

Thanks for all of your great ideas... I'm going to try and use some of them for next week. There is a teacher store where I live so I'll try there too.

Tags
ideas, tutoring