A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Middle School / Junior High

Old 11-28-2007, 07:34 AM
Rookie

Kansas
7th and 8th Grade Teacher
Matrix Reasoning

This is my first year teaching at the school I am at now, and the previous school I was at did not do any IEP evaluations. One of my students here got an IEP done and it showed a very low score in Matrix Reasoning, but the rest of her scores are average or above average. Could someone please tell me what this means and what kind of approach I need to take with this student? She struggles in all of her classes, spelling especially, but I think a lot of it is that if the work is hard she simply gives up. Advice is appreciated. Thank you.
Kristy

Old 12-01-2007, 06:48 PM
Newcomer

Colorado
School Psychology Practicum Student
Matrix reasoning is a nonverbal perceptual problem solving skill. I came across your post while searching for information on what classroom skills are most likely to be affected by it. From what I can gather it is most likely related to mathematical concepts like following an algorithm, like comparing a partial quotient with a divisor to see if another subtraction is necessary in a division problem. Getting information from a diagram in science or reading maps in social studies are related skills. Spelling is also a visual skill so it is somewhat related.

It is equally difficult to find out what to do to help a student with low matrix reasoning. Some people say to do puzzles or art work with geometric forms, but if this is difficult for her to begin with I wonder why just doing more of it is going to help?

Increase her persistence by breaking assignments down into smaller pieces. Try to provide more frequent recognition that is meaningful to her. There is wide variation in the type of recognition that students like. Some like peer recognition, others like adult recognition. Usually consumables are not anyone's first choice but they matter some to most.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:11 AM
Newcomer

Iowa on the Mississippi River
School Psychologist
Matrix Reasoning is a relatively new addition to the Wechsler series of intelligence tests and I can on to this in trying to figure out the meaning of low scores only on this test. I suspect that impulsive responding, especially in the face of a new or difficult task may be the cause at least some of the time. I hope someone will research this hypothesis.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:45 PM
Newcomer

England
English advisor
Question matrix reasoning

My daughter has also scored very low on matrix reasoning, but very highly on all other tests. I would love to know why this is, and what to do in order to support her in this area. Any help would be so gratefully recieved. She is not struggling with spelling - this is a strong area. Mathis in general is fine, although she doesn't show such an interest. However, she is underperforming hugely at school and I have had to fight to get staff to understand that she is an able child. Fortunately, being in the profession, I knew how to access outside agencies. Can anyone tell me exactly what matrix reasoning measures and how to support it. Also if this could lead to a specific leaarning difficulty.
Many thanks
x
Old 06-17-2009, 04:26 PM
Newcomer

US
Matrix Reasoning

Matrix Reasoning is a subtest of the WISC-IV IQ test (also the WAIS-III). It taps nonverbal (visual) abstract reasoning. It's a kind of "fluid intelligence"--an ability to respond flexibly and well to a novel visual task.

The Matrix Reasoning score by itself tells you very little. I really hope the person who did the assessment provided a report, and not just test scores. You need to know whether the difference between this subtest score and the others is actually statistically significant! One test being low average and others being average doesn't necessarily mean there's an important area of strength or weakness here. The examiner should explain all this (including what it means for the child) in a report several pages long...

In terms of what to do for the child, practice using jigsaw puzzles and other activities that involve recognizing visual patterns should be helpful.

Sincerely,

Dr. Grammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristysRedBarn View Post
This is my first year teaching at the school I am at now, and the previous school I was at did not do any IEP evaluations. One of my students here got an IEP done and it showed a very low score in Matrix Reasoning, but the rest of her scores are average or above average. Could someone please tell me what this means and what kind of approach I need to take with this student? She struggles in all of her classes, spelling especially, but I think a lot of it is that if the work is hard she simply gives up. Advice is appreciated. Thank you.
Kristy

Tags
matrix, reasoning