A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Middle School / Junior High

Old 10-23-2007, 08:23 PM
Cohort

Philadelphia, PA
7th & 8th Reading/Language Arts
7th & 8th Grade "English" (reading/language arts)

what is generally the THEME for reading/language arts for these grade levels?

for example, 9th grade might be american lit, 10th world lit, 11th european lit etc. you get what i'm saying? so i'm wondering what all do you (wish to) cover in 7th and 8th grade? Like, i know they'll do personification, alliteration, grammar etc. But like, what kind of heading does that go under?

hopefully i'm explaining this correctly. oh, i just started this position a week and two days ago and we're having a kind of 'back to school night' thing where they'll get to voice whatever they need to and we'll show them what we're going to do. so i want to have something to show them because the teacher before me does not have anything.

for any advice
Romans 8:28
For in the end we know that all things work together for the good of they that love the Lord & are called according to HIS purpose

Old 10-23-2007, 09:35 PM
Comrade

Texas
Grade 8 English & reading
First of all, congratulations! I hope you love middle school as much as I do! 8th graders are my heart.

I do a great deal of historical fiction with my kids, mostly because, in TX, they study Amer. history to 1865 in grade 8, but also because I love that genre. Most of the literature is young adult stuff in middle school...The Outsiders, Where the Red Fern Grows, Touching Spirit Bear...are all titles I've used with 7th grade. With 8th grade...The Giver, The Pearl, Across Five Aprils, Johnny Tremain, The Diary of Anne Frank, Nothing But the Truth. Cover your literary elements through those titles, as well as through poetry and short stories; throw in some writing and grammar; and you'll have a successful year! I'm including a link to my class webpage...
http://www.birdville.k12.tx.us/schoo.../pope/pope.htm
Feel free to use whatever you find there, or PM/email me if you have questions.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:16 PM
Cohort

Philadelphia, PA
i really appreciate that. so much...

although it has me a little worried that i'm unprepared because i am thinking back to when i was in ms and my teacher(s) were all prepared in september for us! and here i am, NOTHING! i feel like i have to plan for now until june in (an hour?-cuz that's what time i wanna go to sleep)
For in the end we know that all things work together for the good of they that love the Lord & are called according to HIS purpose
Old 10-24-2007, 05:36 AM
Comrade

Texas
Trust me, they were not as prepared as you thought they were! Smoke and mirrors, my friend! Seriously, though, I wouldn't worry about having my entire year planned out just now. Get a general idea of where you want to go/what you want to do, then take it a week at a time for now. Then, over the holiday breaks, you can spend time on some long-range plans. What I usually do is make a table of the year, divided by six weeks and topics (lit., grammar, writing). Once I fill that in, I focus on the first six weeks on a calendar...just general plans. I use that calendar each weekend to write my lesson plans in more detail for the upcoming week. I'm going to PM you as well.
Old 10-28-2007, 05:22 PM
Aficionado

Kentucky
Middle School Teacher
Our 8th grade teachers follow the 8th grade social studies curriculum when teaching literature.

Sixth grade focuses on skills, and seventh grade focuses on genres.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:01 PM
Aficionado

MA, USA
Prinicpal 7-12 Private School & SS
What I would suggest is first create a syllabus of your rules, policies, grading system, expecations, etc. be as detailed as possible who cares if it is long. (Mine is 9 Pages, and yup we go over all of it and they get a quiz on it).

Then obtain a copy of your curriculm and slowly begin planning your literature, writing, grammar, and vocabulary units.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:47 PM
Aficionado

Texas
HS English and Driver's Ed
In our district, the middle school ELA classes don't have that central topic, like American lit, British lit, etc.

The focus is moving from just reading comprehension to developing the ability to perform literary analysis. Because middle school is such a time of transition, most teachers simply chose to focus on exposing them to as much quality YA literature as possible. They'll get Shakespeare in high school where the teachers are *bound* by state curriculum to teach it. Take the opportunity to teach them good, modern YA lit and get them hooked on reading.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:40 AM
Cohort

Philadelphia, PA
what's 'ya'? young adult?

sorry for the naivete
Old 10-29-2007, 12:20 PM
Comrade

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstemple05 View Post
what's 'ya'? young adult?
Yep!
Old 11-04-2007, 07:26 AM
Devotee

Ontario, Canada
Middle School Teacher
I teach grade 7. In September, I did a unit on non-fiction; we did some reading of famous people, my students had to research and create a biographical poster of a person who has made a significant impact on the world, they wrote an internal monologue, etc... Now we are doing fiction. I am reading Touching Spirit Bear as a read aloud and they are doing responses and activities based on the story. I will also do poetry and in that I will cover figures of speech. We also did a Remembrance Day mini unit and they wrote poems/essays that will be shared at the ceremony on that day. Last year I was like you. I was hired at the last minute, had no idea where I was going with everything and basically made it up as I went along. That wasn't necessarily a bad thing as I look back, because it gave me the insight to know exactly what direction I want to take this year. Hope some of that helps.

Tags
7th, 8th, arts, english, grade, reading or language