A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Fourth Grade

Old 10-14-2007, 01:47 PM
Companion

Louisiana
sequence of events

I am teaching a low level 4th grade class, and we're working on finding sequence of events in a story with the help of signal words (first, next, last, etc.) and dates. I am getting observed and I am trying to find a book that I could do a lesson for this on. Any suggestions? I would like it to be a picture book too. Thanks!

Old 10-14-2007, 01:56 PM
Companion

4th Grade Teacher
I did a lesson on this using the book "The Day Jimmy's Boa Ate the Wash." http://www.amazon.com/Day-Jimmys-Boa.../dp/0140546235 It's a really cute book, and it's good for cause and effect and the sequence of events.

If you haven't read it before, it's basically a kid telling his mom about all the crazy things that happened during his field trip that day, and he goes in reverse order. He starts with "It was great, until the cow started crying," and Mom asks why the cow was crying, and he tells her the haystack fell over, and she asks why the haystack fell over, and it turns out that the farmer crashed into the haystack because of something else, and on and on. That part makes it challenging because the sequences goes backwards... so part of your lesson could be having the kids sort out the chronological order everything happened in.
Old 10-14-2007, 02:27 PM
Companion

Louisiana
I saw this book online, but I didn't know if it was too easy for the 4th grade. If you taught in 4th grade though, Im sure I can use it! Thanks so much! Ive been searching forever to find a book!
Old 10-14-2007, 03:49 PM
Fanatic

Ohio
3rd Grade Teacher
All of the "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" books are also good for this.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:52 PM
Companion

4th Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by LATechTeacher View Post
I saw this book online, but I didn't know if it was too easy for the 4th grade. If you taught in 4th grade though, Im sure I can use it! Thanks so much! Ive been searching forever to find a book!
I actually did it with a 3rd grader I was tutoring in college... but he struggled with it. So if you have a low 4th grade class, I think it would probably be okay. And if it is easy, at least your lesson will go well for your observation.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:52 PM
Companion

4th Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy View Post
All of the "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" books are also good for this.
Those would be good too!

Tags
events, sequence