A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Preschool

Old 10-09-2007, 05:54 PM
Rookie

michigan
Organizing Assessments

I've been having a difficult time organizing assessments/ancedotal notes. For instance the progress report that is used has at least 30 "bubbles". How do I organize each assessments so I'm not flipping through zillions of pages of ancedotal notes?????????

Old 10-10-2007, 05:07 AM
Groupie

Texas
I don't know if this is what you are looking for or not, but here is a link to my organizational page: vanna's organizational page If you scroll down that page there is a section about organizing assessment.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:43 AM

Illinois
Preschool Teacher
I missed this post last night.... but here's my system. My assessments are a bit different than yours (a list of skills, we write progress level for each one and then have a larger space for comments about the area in general) but here's what I do.

My portfolios are in a hanging file box, and each kid has their own hanging folder. Within that folder, we'll put samples (or copies of) work from different domains. Also in that folder, I have a piece of color-coded construction paper. I do a different color for each of our 3 assessment periods. I put each child's sticky anecdotal notes on the paper in their file. So when I'm doing assessments, it's easy to pull out their file and have all their notes right there. I've been using the teeny-tiny postits, so they all fit on one side of the paper, lol.

You might find it easier to color-code a page inside each file for math, reading, social, etc, but I don't always take enough notes to warrant that.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:55 AM
Enthusiast

California
Preschool/Adult School Teacher
I made an excel chart with the skill sets from the report card along the top and the kids down the side. I use the code from the progress report (fully mastered, almost mastered, etc.). I put it on a clipboard and always have it nearby. I also have sticky notes, etc. for anecdotal records.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:13 PM
Companion

A Tree
I have a 3 inch binder with file folders (3 hole punched) as my dividers. and then I can write names on the tabs and then I put all assessments inside each file folder in the binder.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:31 PM
Rookie

michigan
Thank you!
Old 10-21-2007, 02:20 PM
Devotee

Florida
combo K/1st
I just purchased Scholatics Easy Assessments for Pre-Kinderten by Laurie b. Fyke. I've been looking for something as well and I think this will help me.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:06 PM
Rookie

michigan
Thank you!!!
Old 02-09-2008, 01:31 PM
Companion

Indiana
Early Childhood Teacher
I was reading this and it's starting to scare me a little. Like I have said in other posts that I have posted I am a new teacher for young preschool. I graduated in April with my Associates in Early Childhood Education and I got hired at this daycare in August. I started off with toddlers and then in December I moved up to teaching 24 to 36 months or until they are potty trained.

The other day at work all of us young preschool teachers had a meeting with our director just to catch up on things. One of the things that was said was that we do parent teacher conferences twice a year. I am scared to death to do parent teacher conferences because i'm afraid I won't be prepared. Are there any assessments or charts or just advice that I can use throughout the year to prepare me for the parent teacher conferences so when they come I don't have to panic.

Would love some suggestions!
Old 02-12-2008, 11:22 AM
Cohort

Iowa
Inculsion PK special education
I use the High/Scope COR curriculum as my assessment. I write down notes on post it notes and just started using a notebook. I also have a binder with all the COR information typed out on it. Each child has their own area with their name on a file folder. I have 3 periods that I have to score on. Period 1 was pink highlighter, period 2 was orange marker, and period 3 is blue marker. I write the dates on the sheet when I highlight them. I am lucky to have the computer program that goes with the curriculum. I type the notes in daily, so I am able to see which areas I need to focus on.

Before I had the computer program, I just typed the notes up on my computer and saved them in a folder on my USB drive. Each child had their own folder.

For other assessments like colors, shapes, ABCs, and etc. I just use a word document and save it in my sub/important stuff binder. I do this scoring after each quarter is done.

Tags
assessments, organizing