A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 09-19-2007, 07:55 PM
Cohort

6th Grade Language Arts
good ideas for after school club/activity/enrichment....

i am an aide in a fourth grade classroom since i could not get a teaching job for this school year. i was thinking of starting up some kind of after school activity to boost my resume. i spoke with the principal and she said she was going to contact teachers etc. this week regarding starting such programs. i don't know any details or logistics about starting one within the school as yet, but right now i am trying to think of some ideas. the main reason for this is so that, if i don't hear anything by the end of the week, i'd like to go to the principal and come to her with some ideas i have. there are generic things like arts and crafts and what not, but i would like to think of something fun and educational, but not TOO crazy. any ideas? right now i'm thinking of suggesting doing something with comic books. any other ideas? thanks!

Old 09-19-2007, 08:00 PM
Magnifico

Kindergarten Teacher
It depends on what you have a skill in. I'm teaching sign language to my son's after school program.

Cooking Club
Respect Club (One Marine is doing this. It involves role playing, crafts, reading, discussions, etc).
Drama Club (students brainstorm ways to include more drama to inform or entertain such as before the morning assembly, etc)
Sewing Club
Protect the Environment Club
Old 09-22-2007, 09:07 AM
Companion

AR/USA
2nd Grade Teacher
What about something like coaching an Odyssey of the Mind team? The only "problem" would be that it would limit you to only 7 members (unless you enlist the help of others to coach, and then you could have more teams)
Old 09-30-2007, 08:21 PM
Cohort

6th Grade Language Arts
what exactly is odyssey of the mind? thanks!

any other ideas out there? from what i heard i don't have a budget at all for this. i am an aide, too, so i literally have no supplies to begin with.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:57 PM
Comrade

Kentucky
I like the idea of a respect club-each week focus on a specific character trait (such as honesty, etc.) it not only creates respect for others, but self-respect.

If you want to incorporate comic books into a club -
Reading: The students can find character development, plot, rising action, climax and resolution.
Drama: Act out scenes from the book.
Art: Students can create a comic strip. The will have to create a character (personification?), they have to come up with a plot.
Grammar: Identify parts of speech in the "bubble".
Sounds like fun to me!
Old 10-01-2007, 03:46 AM
Multitudinous

NEW YORK
Math teacher
Take a look at a high school website or yearbook. Our school has something like 80 teams and 60 activities... everything from Culinary club to Anime (where I think they draw those comic book figures with the art teacher.) But start with what YOU'RE comfortable with, and go from there.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:25 PM
Fanatic

Oklahoma
Kindergarten Teacher
Chess team, book club, how about a community service club (makes decoration for nursing homes, cards for the hospital, wraps presents for charity, etc.)
Old 10-01-2007, 07:56 PM
Rookie

Ohio
3rd Grade Teacher
Last year another teacher and I did a Book Club once a month during recess time. It was easy for us and the kids loved it. It could probably be expanded to meet every week too. We would have the children read a selected chapter book over the course of a month. When we got together, we would discuss the book and do some sort of activity that went with the discussion or book. For example, we read one of the Judy Blume Fudge books where Fudge is obsessed with money. As we discussed the book, the kids colored a bill bookmark and then we took their pictures to glue in the middle of the bill. For Reindeer Don't Wear Striped Underwear, the kids made candy cane reindeers while we discussed. If we met more often, I think I would assign certain chapters to read before each week's meeting or even read some together, more like a literature circle.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:10 PM
Novice

3rd Grade Teacher
On the comic book idea...there is a neat website I used with my grade 3 kids

Apparently I can't post the link because i haven't been a member for long enough (?) but go to readwritethink.org and then "student materials" on the left hand side, and then comic creator

You can quickly and easily create a comic strip with a program on the site. My kids used it to practice creative writing (taking a comic strip that we made and describing setting, using speech marks etc. to convert the pictures into a story or vice versa)
Old 10-06-2007, 10:14 PM
Companion

AR/USA
2nd Grade Teacher
OM is a creative thinking competition for kids in K-College. Teams consist of 7 members, and they work together to solve one of 5 problems created by Odyssey of the Mind. For more information, you can go to www.odysseyofthemind.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by HufflePuff View Post
what exactly is odyssey of the mind? thanks!

any other ideas out there? from what i heard i don't have a budget at all for this. i am an aide, too, so i literally have no supplies to begin with.

Tags
good, ideas, school