A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 09-11-2007, 11:51 AM
Rookie

Michigan
2nd Grade Teacher
desk height?

What is an appropriate height for the children's desks? I moved to 2nd grade this year and all of my desks are at the lowest height one of the other 2nd grade teachers has her kids desks, but it is armpit height for most of my kids and that seems way too high. What is appropriate for a desk in terms of body-health (good posture, comfortable on their back, etc.)
Thanks!

Old 09-11-2007, 05:02 PM
Maven

USA
3rd Grade Teacher
I think (if I remember this correctly, that they should be able to comfortably rest their forearms on the desktops, but still have some room between the bottom of the desk and the tops of their thighs. I am student teaching 3rd grade right now, and we have a wide range of student sizes (from about 3 ft. tall (no kidding) to over 5 ft. tall!). Our desks are therefore "multi-sized," so that each student's desk suits his/her physical needs. Hope I was helpful!

The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.
― Dr. Seuss
Old 09-11-2007, 06:08 PM
Companion

Midwest
Jr. High Special Ed
I teach K-6 special ed. My custodian had a fit the other day when I asked her to come in and help me adjust the height of my desks. I wasn't being really picky, but it's simply unrealistic for the school to provide me with one size of desk for 7 grades. I ended up doing it on my own after school (I didn't want to listen to her complain...she's not really fond of me at the moment as it is.) I agree with the poster above that it's easier to have several different sizes of desks so that each student is comfortable. For example, I have a first grader who is very tall using the same size of desk as my tiny fourth grader. Depending on your class, I would either try to adjust the desks to two or three different levels and then assign them as needed.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:15 AM
Rookie

Michigan
2nd Grade Teacher
My desks are adjustable, I was just trying to figure out what level to adjust them to.

Tags
desk, height