A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > New Teachers

Old 09-07-2007, 08:22 PM
Companion

NC
4th Grade Teacher
Holy canoli I'm exhausted

I started yesterday and already I'm exhausted. I was hired to replace a retiring teacher. The kids have been back at school for 2 weeks now. I knew I was going to be exhausted but didn't think it would be this bad. I wake up at 5am and am out the door by 6:15. It's a 30 miles drive to school so depending on traffic I'm there by 7am. Students enter the class at 7:45. Yesterday I was able to leave around 5:30pm. Today, not so lucky. I didn't leave until 7:30pm tonight. Then I come home and basically crash. My DH has been great as he's made dinner (and he rarely makes dinner and barely knows how to cook LOL) and emptied the dishwater etc. Today was the teacher's last day and she needed to show me where everything was (she was NOT organized AT ALL). She's a super nice lady and while we had several opportunities thoughout the school day to show me different things, she didn't. Anyway .. the other same grade teachers have been great! Lesson plans are due Monday morning before 8 am and I just don't know where to start! Ok, so now I'm rambling ... Just needed to 'vent' of sorts. Oh and did I mention I lost 6 lbs this week between anticipation (wasn't officially offered the job until Tuesday), excitement, nervousness and stress.

On a different note .. first year teachers: what fears do you have for the year? What goals have you set for yourself for the year?

Old 09-07-2007, 08:30 PM
Aficionado

Massachusetts
5th Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by smannes View Post
On a different note .. first year teachers: what fears do you have for the year? What goals have you set for yourself for the year?
This is my second year, but my first year at my new school. This school is much more demanding than my last so I feel like it's my first year half the time! My fears are that I'm never going to get the hang of having to write my own curriculum and that I'll be doing a disservice to my students. My goal is to try to get myself ahead at some point so that I'm making copies and getting things ready a few days in advance rather than the morning of like I have been for the past two weeks! It's just so hard with everything else that needs to get done, though.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:08 PM
Enthusiast

California
High School Teacher
I am a first year teacher and have no fears for the year. My credential program prepared me well. I did a two month long term sub assignment at the end of my program. I taught summer school. And I work at a school full of great teachers and administrators. None of this means that I am not exhausted at the end of some days. I work in one of the toughest schools in the area and the kids are a real challenge. But I knew what I was getting into. I didn't expect the whole school (teachers and students) to have their schedules shuffled at the start of the fourth week (next Monday). But I will survive just like everyone else.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:22 PM
Comrade

Virginia
My fear is not being able to come up with a lot of good resources that will help my students learn what they need to know. I teach 1st grade so it's not like a class where you can write stuff and have them take notes. They have to do a lot of hands on activities and I'm finding it hard to find stuff for them. My goal for this year is to teach it my way and run my classroom the way I want to and to not let people intimidate me because I've already had one person that wants to do that.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:42 PM
Aficionado

Texas
Third Grade Teacher
[QUOTE=Malcolm;479772]I am a first year teacher and have no fears for the year. QUOTE]

Wow, I'm impressed. I've been doing this for fifteen years and I still have lots of fears or at least really big concerns about my class.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:17 AM
Novice

Minnesota
Kindergarten Teacher
I am in the same boat as Beth2004. I have to make up my own curriculum too! Its a bit oerwhelming in itself, but I am a first year teacher too. My lesson plans are to be turned in on Friday but I use the WHOLE weekend to figure out what I am going to do so they don't get turned in. My goal is to get ahead! I was so exausted by Friday! Now I am scared all over again trying to figure out the second week of school. I need to find my students reading levels, spelling levels and math levels. YIKES! I cannot wait for all of this to come together!
Old 09-08-2007, 10:18 AM
Novice

Teacher
Fears: 1. Everyone ( administrators and other teachers) will find out I am preparing my lessons 12 hours or less before I give them
2. My boss will notice me working on a powerpoint during 5th period and then notice me presenting it 7th.
2. I will never get a few days ahead and so will never sleep more than 4 hours a night until July
3. Observations by my director and three asst principals (all certified in SS like me)
4. The kid in my AP class who I am pretty sure knows more than me about some things.
5. That I will die before this becomes any easier

Goals: 1. Survival
2. Sleep
3. To be asked back next year and eventually get tenure
4. I would love to get a week ahead so some random Tuesday i can come home and DO NOTHING
5. To get rid of this terrible anxiety about being unprepared

before anyone scolds me for not using the summer to get ahead-- i only got hired 2 weeks ago. Although I must admit I am a procrastinator by nature too.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:43 AM
Enthusiast

California
High School Teacher
Perhaps I should elaborate a bit. It is not that I do not have concerns or problems. I am just not fearful about them. I am confident that I can deal with them as well as most folks. Perhaps this comes from a lifetime of experience. I worked for many years in government and industry basically solving problems. I was pretty good at it. The problems I am faced with as a teacher are different, but the processes for solving them aren't.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:11 PM
Comrade

New York
6th Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth2004 View Post
This is my second year, but my first year at my new school. This school is much more demanding than my last so I feel like it's my first year half the time!
Me too! I taught the same grade before but I only taught English - 5 classes of it, while this year I teach ELA, Math and 2 Science classes. I'm SO busy and feel like there is a ton more work. But I also love it at my new school. I started this past Wed. and each day slowly gets a tiny bit better so I'm sure in a few weeks I'll be settled in and used to the routine.

My biggest fear is that my position will get cut due to budget, enrollment, etc. since that's what happened to me the first time around.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:52 PM
Companion

A Tree
I'm not a first year, but...

My fear is that I won't make it the whole year
My goal is to make it the whole year

Tags
canoli, exhausted, holy