A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Middle School / Junior High

Old 09-05-2007, 06:52 PM
Newcomer

Virginia
Sp.Education
Help with emotionally disturbed students?

Hi,

I am a new member, I teach 6,7,&8th grade self-contained(ED) students.Is there anyone who has some experience dealing with emotionally disturbed(sever behavior problem) students? It is my second day of teaching, two students already got suspended for physical attack, pushing and using inappropriate language.I feel I am in the wrong place!!!!! please help!!!!!!!!

Old 09-05-2007, 07:33 PM
Connoisseur

MI
Special Education/Social Studies
Gee I wish I knew, I have one at home like that....only thing that works is teaching the students they can control their anger and behavior and they cannot control the behavior of others. Maybe a system of rewards will work, not even a day without problems, how about starting at 15 mins without problems? Then they progress to more points, which they can turn in for a prize (candy if your school still allows it)

Try posting this on the special ed board too, someone will give you an answer better than mine

Tags
disturbed, emotionally, students