A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Middle School / Junior High

Old 08-22-2007, 04:51 PM
Rookie

Massachusetts
Middle School Science and Math
Need ideas for reward system for 7th and 8th graders

During my student teaching experience I used a reward system with my fifth graders, it seemed to work well for discouraging bad behavior and the students really enjoyed it. But, I was just hired for my first teaching job as a 7th & 8th grade math/science teacher.

I would like to use a reward system for my upper middle school kids, but I'm afraid the kids will think its too babyish. Does anyone use a reward system for 7th and 8th graders that have worked in the past? Please help! I need some ideas for my more grown up audience.

Old 08-22-2007, 06:01 PM
Rookie

East Texas
6th Grade Reading and English
They wont think it is baby-ish at all. They are all big kids anyway! Homework passes work well, as well as cute pencils and erasers. Some even love the smelly stickers.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:56 PM
Rookie

Ohio
Middle School Teacher
I choose a "student of the week" each week for my classes. Students know that they must have turned in all their work and completed all class assignments. They also know that they must have good behavior. They earn a certificate and I fill paper bags full of fun stuff like pens, pencils, lip gloss, playing cards, knee socks (our girls wear skirts/uniforms), watches, homework passes, restroom passes... I change the bags up all the time and the kids have a fresh chance every week. I also take their pictures and create fun cartoon characters out of them and hang them on the board.

Immediate rewards are always a good thing, too. If half the class is ready- I give them pencils or tootsie rolls or 'now and laters'. They will respond to anything positive. Even the worst of kids
Old 08-22-2007, 07:05 PM
Groupie

Ohio
Middle School Music Teacher
I used tickets (roll from wallmart) with 7th. There were different tiers (5 tickets= toy/ trinket/ tootsie roll, 10=sit by a friend pass, 15= candy bar, 20= homework pass, 25=5% on a test ). They got tickets for keeping desks clean, completing work, etc...
Old 08-22-2007, 07:14 PM
Rookie

Massachusetts
Middle School Science and Math
Thanks for all the great ideas.....I knew they secretly liked stickers
Old 08-22-2007, 07:14 PM
Rookie

East Texas
I wish we could still give candy! We have to steer away from that here in Texas because it is "Minimal Nutritional Value" Food - aka jolly rangers, starbursts, etc. But, hey, we can still give chocolate!
Old 08-22-2007, 08:04 PM
Groupie

Ohio
Middle School Music Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhitg
I wish we could still give candy! We have to steer away from that here in Texas because it is "Minimal Nutritional Value" Food - aka jolly rangers, starbursts, etc. But, hey, we can still give chocolate!

What about fruit snacks?
Old 08-22-2007, 08:09 PM
Companion

Social Studies
when i was student teaching 7th and 8th grade, i would give a mini candy to students who earned A's and B's on their tests. This made some students want to get the good grades more, but some students could care less. i gave them to both A's and B's because i wanted to make the grades reachable for students who felt that they couldn't get something as high as an A.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:59 AM
Rookie

East Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmw
What about fruit snacks?
Fruit snack would be okay. For us, they have take away anything that doesn't have any nutritional value - aka hard candy, soft drinks, things like that.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:09 AM
Multitudinous

NEW YORK
Math teacher
There's nothing "secret" about their love for stickers

I've taught HS Seniors who would sell their kid sister for a cool sticker!!!

I taught math 7 last year... is there anything I can send you??

Tags
7th, 8th, graders, ideas, reward, system