A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Middle School / Junior High

Old 08-09-2007, 07:02 PM
Rookie

Tennessee
Middle School Title I
Need a English PreTest for 7th Grade....

I got my first teaching job.... I was hired with less than a week before school started. I cannot find a pretest for Language Arts. I need to know where my students are in relation to the material. Does anyone have a link to one, or can someone send me an electronic file of one??? Help!!!

Old 08-10-2007, 06:30 AM
Comrade

Texas
Grade 8 English & reading
Do you have access to your curriculum guide yet? If so, that's where I would start. See what they are required to know by the end of the year, and create a test based on that material. If you don't know what's required, you can test them over proofreading/editing skills (punctuation, capitalization, spelling, usage...), vocabulary, reading skills (main idea, fact/opinion, cause/effect, summary, inferencing...)
I do have a pretest that I created some years ago, but I won't have access to it until I go back for inservice on the 20th.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:22 AM
Rookie

Tennessee
Middle School Title I
I think that is what I am going to do.... I have been in inservices and meetings all week. I have stayed late every single day. We have students Monday, and I cannot seem to get my classroom ready.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:29 AM
Multitudinous

NEW YORK
Math teacher
I posted a link to a HS entrance exam here... there's some other advice that may help.http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/s...ad.php?t=42826
Old 08-10-2007, 09:37 AM
Rookie

New Jersey
English
Here's a quick idea, why don't you give them a in-class essay on a specific topic and have them write as much as they can in a period. You can then assess them on their writing skills (in all areas) and get a feel for their level of literacy. I would avoid the traditional, "what did you do over summer vacation?" Perhaps take a current event or controversial topic (age appropriate) and have them write on that. This is what I usually do the first day.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:07 AM
Rookie

7th Grade Teacher
Congratulations on your first job. Relax and don't feel the pressure to pre-test. I say ask them to write...anything. Don't feel the need to give them a topic. Just see where they stand in their skills and go from there.

If you haven't already, please pick up a copy of Nancie Atwell's In the Middle. You'll get a unique view of how LA classes can be taught...and should be, in my humble opinion.

Good luck! I hope you love your time with 7th graders as much as I do!
Old 08-12-2007, 04:33 PM
Devotee

Ontario, Canada
Middle School Teacher
If you are aware with CASI and have access to it, you can assess their reading levels using this. Otherwise, give them a short text to read and create your own questions based on that so that you can see how much they are understanding.

Tags
7th, english, grade, pretest