A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 08-07-2007, 07:23 AM
Novice

TX
4th Grade Teacher
"Running Record" suggestions

I am moving from 5th to 3rd, where I will need to be doing guided reading, and keeping a running record of each student. Are there any suggestions as to what I definitely need to be keeping track of, or any tips of stuff I should? Thanks for any info!

Old 08-07-2007, 10:00 AM
Aficionado

Sometimes I do quick running records on post it notes. I have them read and I just make a check for each word they get, and a dash when a word is missed. This is a really quick way for me to do it. Other times, I will just write down the words they miss, and how they missed it. This is not formal at all. I will do it every once in awhile as a check in, when I am concerned about the level of their SSR book, but don't have it in my plans to actually do a real running record on them. I can tabulate the general fluency rate with the formula on the webpage. I just divide the number of words read by the number of errors.

Be sure that if the child self corrects, that does not count as an error. Either does repeating a word. Sometimes kids will skip a whole line, and that really does them in!! I will give them another shot, because sometimes I think they are nervous and trying to read quickly to impress me and end up skipping lines. These are my poorest readers though, generally.

I look for replacing words, skipped words, repeating a word (this is ok in my book if it is only once or so, they are usually just reminding themselves of what they read, but if can affect fluency) if they have to stop and sound it out, do they need me to tell them the word a few moments, all of these are things I look for. My school doesn't do the DRA or any formal assessment, so I need to make up a good deal of this stuff on my own.

I choose a passage of 100 words generally, or I use a book from Scholastic called 3 minute reading assessments.

I found this link:

http://www.readinga-z.com/newfiles/l...rd/runrec.html
Old 08-07-2007, 10:27 AM
Guru

Southern NJ
2nd Grade Teacher
I try to test my kids with running records every few weeks. To save time down the road, I've actually started to type out the passages in Microsoft Word so I can access them easily in the future. I have a binder where I keep all of the DRA's and running records for each student so I can chart their progress as we go throughout the year. Also, Reading A to Z provides running record assessments for their benchmark books.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:05 AM
Novice

TX
4th Grade Teacher
I just found this! Thanks for the info, that A-Z site looks really great!
Old 08-10-2007, 08:50 AM
Groupie

Arkansas
Upper Elementary Teacher
I do a running record on each child each week. I keep them in a notebook behind a divider for each student--this way I can keep them all in one place and look back if a particular student is having difficulty to see if it is a trend or not. I always write down the book title as well as the level of the book. I try to take running records out of their independent books, and I let the student choose which page they want to read.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:36 AM
Guru

Southern NJ
2nd Grade Teacher
A-Z is pretty great. I give paper copies of the books to my kids to keep and use as homework reading assignments and just to keep in their bags for familiar reads. You need to pay for it if your district doesn't subscribe, but it can be part of your educator expenses on your taxes They also have reader's theater and other activities too! Its grown a lot since I first joined a few years ago.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:09 PM
Aficionado

Nebraska
To Be Determined
It took some work (and space) but I made photo copies of the different passages, marked the level on the upper left corner, and created a file folder for each passage with many copies. Then I can just mark on the photocopy while the child reads from the same passage on another sheet. I also had a stamp made at one of the office supply places with separate lines for total word count, accuracy rate, # self corrections, %miscuses self corrected. This alone cut down calculation times. I wrote the equation for figuring each on a sheet of paper and put it under contact paper on a clipboard for easy reference.

Tags
running record, suggestions