A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Examinations for Teachers > Multiple Subject Tests

WARNING: According to National Evaluation Systems, Inc., the developers of the CSET and other tests, posting of actual test questions by registrants of the CSET and other tests is in violation of a contractual agreement and can result in liability by the poster for monetary damages or other legal remedies. If you have registered to take the CSET and other teacher licensing tests, review the Rules of Test Participation. All messages express the views of the author, and A to Z Teacher Stuff, LLC will not be held responsible for the content of any message.

Old 08-06-2007, 04:40 PM
Rookie

CT
Question about scoring: Praxis II: 0012 Content Area Exercises

Hi All,
I am new to this site and very happy that I found it. There is a wealth of useful information to be had here.

I took Praxis II 0011 and 0012 this past Saturday. I am confident that the multiple choice portion went well, however, I am feeling stressed about the content area portion. I studied till my brain was fried yet still felt uneasy while taking it. If my state passing score is 148, does any know what I would need to score on the essays (for example all 8/12, 6/12, etc.) to pass.

Thanks a Bunch,
Gemini

Old 08-08-2007, 01:16 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
Translating raw scores (8/12 etc. ) into scaled scores is an inexact science, to say the least. This is partly because it's very hard to write two questions of exactly equal difficulty, let alone twelve questions, so the algorithm that turns raw scores into scaled scores contains something like a fudge factor for each question.

But let's look at what we CAN say.

First, Praxis written responses are given raw scores on one of several sliding scales. I believe 0011 (or 0012 - I don't now recall which is which) contains only short answer questions; those would be scored on a scale from 0 to 3 by each of two readers, and your raw score for a question is the sum of your readers' scores for you. The point is that partial credit is perfectly possible.

Second, Praxis exam scaled scores are generally assigned on a scale from 100 to 200. If 148 is passing in Connecticut, then it would seem that you can miss about half of the available raw points and still have hopes of passing. (Never mind how sobering a realization that is.)

Of course, as they say in the automobile ads, Your Mileage May Vary.

Does that help at all?
Old 08-08-2007, 02:01 PM
Rookie

CT
Thanks Teacher Groupie for your insight! The praxis 0012 are the four essay questions (LA, Math, SS and one integrated) which are scored by two readers with the highest score from each reader being a six and the lowest a 0. So for each question one could get 12/12 to 0/12.

If I were to get 3-4s for instance on each essay from each reader, would I have a chance at passing? I am driving myself crazy! I keep referring back to the ETS Content Knowledge 0012 study guide and looking at the sample essays and scores and trying to figure out where my essays might fit in.

This is going to be the longest month! Again, thanks so much for your help.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:03 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
Okay, gemini, let's see a little math here.

First, how many total RAW points are available?

Second, how many raw points would you get if the readers each gave you 3 on all the constructed responses but the next to last, on which one gave you 3 and the other gave you 4?

Third, what percent of the total raw score is that?
Old 08-08-2007, 04:53 PM
Rookie

CT
OK I am going to give this a shot and hope it makes sense.

The total raw points available equals 48. This would be a perfect score of 6 on each of the four essays, because there are two readers- the raw score for each essay would be 12/12.

Each essay is worth 25%.

If one received 3s on three of the essays from both readers, and on the fourth essay received a 3 from one reader and a 4 from another reader, we are looking at 25 raw points. I may be way off here could this possibly be a passing score?

My state requires a scaled score of 148 to pass Praxis 0012 (elementary school content area exercises). My friend received a scaled score of 162, his raw score was 36. This is where I get confused.

Thank you so much Teacher Groupie for your patience and help.

Gemini
Old 08-08-2007, 05:26 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
What percent of the total raw score of 48 is 25? 52%, yes?

Now, then: The typical Praxis scoring scale runs from 100 to 200, which means there are 100 SCALED points available, which turns one's thoughts to percentages - I'm thinking Connecticut may require 48% to pass (148 - 100).

And the scenario I outlined is also the very most minimal case, no?

In the meantime, gemini, please breathe. Being a twin doesn't entitle you to be... beside yourself.

(Sorry. Bad joke. I'll try to behave.)
Old 08-08-2007, 05:36 PM
Rookie

CT
Thanks so much for the help and the laugh! I think I am breathing a bit easier and slower, will keep you posted- only 24 more days (I'm calling the number) to go.

Gemini
Old 08-08-2007, 06:00 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
Good reasoning, by the way. If you proceeded thusly on 0012, and sprinkled technical terminology hither and thither as appropriate, you probably did better than minimum.
Old 09-01-2007, 08:58 AM
Rookie

CT
Yipee!!!!!

Teacher Groupie,
I wanted to let you know that I did pass the Praxis 0012 Content Area Exercises and with room to spare. Thank you so much for your reassurance during those fretful few days after taking the test. I also passed 0012 Curriculum, Assessment, etc. I am so relieved that this is behind me.

Thanks a Bunch,
Gemini
Old 09-01-2007, 08:59 AM
Rookie

CT
Correction to my last post, I also passed the Praxis 0011 Curriculum, Assessment, etc. test

Tags
0012, area, content, exercises, praxis, question, scoring