A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Early Childhood Education Archives

Old 11-11-2003, 06:56 PM
Companion

Fun ways to teach preschoolers to write their name

Any ideas on making writing names "fun"? My parents are really pushing for their kids to be able to write their name. While I do understand that for some kids it may not be physically possible due to lack of fine motor development (they are 3 and 4s) -- my parents don't seem to get that. There are some that can write their name but quite a few cannot.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Old 11-11-2003, 09:02 PM
czardoust

Really? that is like riding a bike without training wheels at age 3-4 it just doesn't happen. Preschoolers are drawings swoopy circles and coloring in scribble, just beginning to learn to cut with safety scissors and go potty unassisted! Can they just....be patient with their children?
Old 11-11-2003, 10:14 PM
Cohort

Collingswood, NJ
Assistant Principal
I agree that it's a bit much to expect them to write their names but I know the pressure parents can put on teachers too!! One of the things I did with some of my Kinders that were having trouble is to fold a piece of copy paper into thirds. In the middle section I wrote their names in a thick black marker. Then the kids fold the top flap down and traced their names. Then fold the bottom part up and trace their names again. Here's a great site with lots of name activities and there may be some ideas you could use.

http://www.thevirtualvine.com/Names.html
Old 11-12-2003, 05:21 AM
Phenom

Midwest
What about shaving cream, salt or sand trays. Tracing over sand paper or textile type activity....
Old 11-12-2003, 04:28 PM
Devotee

Florida
Rainbow writing- You write their name with a wide bright highlighter. They trace over their name with a crayon. Each time they trace they choose a different color crayon. The end effect is a colorful rainbow. Just make sure they are writing each letter in order before changing colors.

Soap crayons - they can practice writing their names at home during bath time on the shower wall. (and it helps mom clean the tub)
Old 11-12-2003, 05:15 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
On the rainbow writing idea:
Read "Chrysanthemum" by Kevin Henkes. In this book, the main character loves her name- she loves eriting it over and over with orange crayon. Write the kids' names on tagboard- Have them 'rainbow' trace over the names with several colors of crayon.

Another idea is to write the name on sentence strips. Laminate or slide the strips into 'strip protectors'. Kids trace over and over with wipe off markers.
Old 11-12-2003, 06:06 PM
Novice

Trace Names

I know this is not as fun as some of the other peoples ideas but this is what we use for our four year olds.

http://www.kidzone.ws/tracers/none/index.asp

This web site lets you put in their names, and you can print out 4 dotted names. Our kids are getting much better at writing thier names now, and we have been using these once a week for about two months. Many of them are now ready to start writing on their own.
Old 11-15-2003, 08:25 AM
Comrade

Washington
I don't know how fun it is, but I do the highlighter tracing with my kinder's. It really works. One little guy that's been struggling to learn how to write his name is really coming along with it. I've also used the salt trays and shaving cream before. Those are fun!
Old 11-16-2003, 12:33 AM

Way down south in Dixie!
Was PreK SPE, now HS SPE.
Maybe get some plastic stencils. My kids love those... letters, numbers, animals and other shapes. THey just get a kick out of them.

Lori
Old 06-23-2004, 08:50 PM
Patty A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijansmom
Any ideas on making writing names "fun"? My parents are really pushing for their kids to be able to write their name. While I do understand that for some kids it may not be physically possible due to lack of fine motor development (they are 3 and 4s) -- my parents don't seem to get that. There are some that can write their name but quite a few cannot.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
Oh yes, there is a fun way, a little messy though. We made a "Rainy Day Name" First you have to write each child's name on sturdy poster board, at least 3 inches big, then use small glue bottles, with guidance if needed, have the children "write" their name using the glue, then put the name card in a tray, the size of a cat litter tray,and sprinkle powdered tempra paint on top, shake it so the name is covered, then let the children spray their names with water, very lightly and their name might look drippy, that is why it's a rainy day name. You can also do that with glitter. I always use the large cat litter trays, they come in handy for anything that is messy, I bought 2 at the pet store.

Tags
fun, preschoolers, teach, ways, write