A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 07-30-2007, 02:51 PM
Newcomer

Missouri
2nd Grade Teacher
How to build a tree for my classroom?

I am starting a new job in a couple of weeks and my husband and I really want to build a life-like tree in my classroom. The problem is that we don't even know where to begin!!! I think it needs to be about 7 feet tall and fairly light weight so that it can be moved if/when necessary! Any ideas? I am desperate for help!
, Beth

Old 07-30-2007, 03:08 PM
Comrade

Washington
Primary Elementary Teacher
In the past our K teachers have had a "tree" in their room. It was not mobile though.

They took several lengths, of brown butcher paper. Each end, of each length, was twisted. One end for roots and the other, longer, for branches. Cutting a branch before reaching the twist to the end allows you to make a branch "v."

All lengths, with roots and branches, are gathered and twisted together, to form the trunk. The tree was then stapled to the bulletin board or cork wall. Branches were either stapled to the bb or cork wall and/or hole punched on the tips and secured to the ceiling with paperclips or string.

A canopy of green tissue/crepe paper is added, draped and stapled over branches. Student made leaves were stapled to branches and the canopy. Sorry, no picture as they are prohibited, by the fire dept., from building trees...it's a fire hazard. Good luck!
Old 07-30-2007, 03:47 PM
Cohort

Go to a fabric store. Ask them for their discarded fabric rolls(the ones that are about 5" in length. Sometimes the upholstery rolls are longer. This will make your "trunk" base. Use the brown bulletin board paper, krinkle it up marking the "bark" with black marker, draw Knot holes randomly. Wrap your Fabric tube loosely . Follow gabs directions for the branches. Leaves can be made of green paper that is glued on to pieces of coat hangers that are Hung by fishing line from the ceiling. or your branches can be the paper wrapped around the length of a coathanger that is drilled into the "trunk".
Another way is to use a support pole that is in the center of your room. Die a sheet brown, draw your tree bark just like on the paper, drape it around your support beam to make a tree trunk. From there you can hang green sheets from the ceiling in a loose parachute fashion, or use an (Army/navy old parachute) and stuff them with pillow filler to make the boughs of the tree full. This one is definitely not moveable, but it looks really really good. The advantage to this one is that it is made out of flame retardant fabric. The disavantage was it is pretty expensive.
I also saw where a teacher used 3 fridge boxes and fashioned her own reading "tree" that the kids could climb inside and read. Her branches were the twisted paper kind and fabric that hung from the portable classroom's ceiling. She had to slice up the sides quite abit to make roots, and "crunched it in the middle some... Truthfully it looked more like a tree HOUSE than a real tree, but the kids LOVED it

A fourth idea... make a tree house. Use 4 "poles" cover with fake ivy wrapped around the poles, cover the "roof" with fake palm fronds , Fill the "house" with pillows, book baskets ... watcha think? .
Old 07-30-2007, 04:34 PM
Newcomer

Missouri
2nd Grade Teacher
I really like that fridge box idea!! I am trying to talk my husband into a tree fort (minus the tree), but he has his mind set on building some sort of tree!! I will share these ideas with him!! Thank you so much"!
Old 07-30-2007, 05:59 PM

Louisiana
4th Grade Teacher
I made my tree out of a carpet tube. It's about 7 feet tall (I have a high ceiling). I used paint to make it look like a cypress tree and drilled holes in it to hold a few limbs and draped Spanish moss from them. I added a bird nest that our custodian brought me and a stuffed black bear (for the Louisiana black bear). I thought my kids would think it was silly, but my 5th graders loved it!
Old 08-03-2007, 07:39 PM
Devotee

Florida
combo K/1st
I have a "tree" in my room. If your husband is handy with a jigsaw it should be pretty simple. Using light weight plywood/paneling, cut out a solid tree top shape, paint it green, attach a few pieces of 1'x2' boards over a door, then attach the tree top to those (so it's not flat to the wall), the door is the trunk. Mine is cut straight across at the top so it fits flush against the ceiling, then curves around here and there on each side, with the sides coming down a little lower than the top of the door , then cut straight around the door frame itself. Sorry, I wish I could send a picture, it really is easier than it sounds and looks good. You can then use it as a seasonal tree adding children made autumn leaves, Christmas ornaments, snowflakes, etc. On the door, at the bottom a paper basket with child made apples, etc. I've also used it to: display birthdays on birds decorated to represent each month, display our Bible verses, even the letter of the week.....
If you're wanting something the children can sit around/under, I've seen some free standing, as well as some that hang from the ceiling at party supply stores.
Old 08-04-2007, 01:38 PM
Rookie

Upper Elementary Teacher
Easy Tree

Hi There,

I made a tree, also out of brown poster paper rolls. First I took about a 10 foot piece and crumpled it up. Then have a helper hold it flat against the wall. Staple it up one side (make sure it is about 2 inches inside from the edge). Now fold it over to hide the staples and staple the other side. VOILA! Super easy! For twigs, use the twisted paper idea on the other post!
Old 08-14-2007, 03:19 AM
Newcomer

florida
Kindergarten Teacher
Easy Tree to build

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlybeanie
I am starting a new job in a couple of weeks and my husband and I really want to build a life-like tree in my classroom. The problem is that we don't even know where to begin!!! I think it needs to be about 7 feet tall and fairly light weight so that it can be moved if/when necessary! Any ideas? I am desperate for help!
, Beth
Hi Beth, I have a great easy tree for you that can be done in about an hour.

you will need:
2'x2' flat, round piece of wood
dowel 4-6" thick 4 feet long
screws
old umbrella
cardboard rug roll
quilt padding
brown material
green stretch material

Go to lowes/home depot and get a precut wooden round peice about 2' x2'. Usually near the wood accsories.

then get a DOWEL ABOUT 4-6 inches thick and at least 4 feet tall

ask if they have any cardboard carpet rolls (if not try a carpet store)

cut carpet roll to desired height

At a fabric store get enough quilt padding and brown material to cover the "trunk" of the tree.
get enough stretchy green facric to cover the umbrella twice.

AT HOME:
screw dowel into wooden round
cover rug roll with padding.
cover padding with brown cloth
take the fabric off your umbrella so only the wire remain
drape you greeen fabric around the spokes to create leaves
place covered rug roll on top of dowel so dowel is in the middle for support
place handle of the umbrella into the top of the tree trunk.

Nylons filled with cotton can be used to make coconuts.

Home this helps

Nikki

Tags
build, classroom, tree