A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Middle School / Junior High

Old 07-30-2007, 01:55 PM
Companion

8th grade poetry

Hi, Just wondering what poems you have taught for 8th grade? Last year, I had 7th grade students and made a packet of about 10 poems that we discussed in class. I am planning to make another packet of poems (and have activities and discussion questions for each one).

Old 08-03-2007, 08:05 AM
Rookie

Spokane, Washington
8th Grade Teacher
In brief, here are some of the poems I teach:

"The Raven" by Poe - My students love studying this, even if they’ve read it before. I use Poe’s “Philosophy of Composition” to help them understand one poet’s view of his craft.

“The Seven Ages of Man” from As You Like It by William Shakespeare - I pair this dramatic monologue with the song “100 Years” by Five for Fighting. They complement each other well, and using the modern song helps to engage the students.

“George Gray” by Edgar Lee Masters - This is a great poem to use to get students talking about their fears and ambitions. If you use my Dead Poets Society Teaching Unit, “George Gray” would fit right into it.

“The Lady of Shallot” and “The Highwayman” - I play Loreena McKennit’s versions of these poems before we read them, and I use Waterhouse’s painting of the Lady of Shalott to enhance their experience.

I liked this question so much I posted a longer answer on my Teen Literacy Tips blog, complete with links (which I can't post here yet, because I just joined). You can get there by clicking on my profile or by typing nicksenger.com in your browser.

Tags
8th, grade, poetry