A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 07-27-2007, 12:37 AM
Novice

Texas
1st Grade Teacher
Pointer Sticks?

Anyone know where I could find pointer sticks? You know the kind that have cute cutouts of wood like animals or some cute little character on a dowel stick. The pointers teachers use to point out words in big books or the alphabet on the wall, etc. Do teachers make these or can you order them from a specific teacher catalog or a specialty catalog?

Old 07-27-2007, 01:26 AM
Fanatic

Arizona
2nd Grade Teacher
Try your local teacher store. I got two large ones and one small one there. I also got some free from Highlights magazine. I also use a lot of fly swatters. I also make my own with wooden dowels and glitter, antennae balls, etc.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:06 AM
Rookie

Arkansas
1st Grade Teacher
I've also used paint stirrers as pointers. When using the stirrer on the overhead you can "pull" the words out. What I mean is that when you are using an overhead, put the paint pointer overshadowing the word you are emphasizing and pull it away from the wall. The word will become larger for the audience. Does that make sense?
Old 07-27-2007, 04:26 AM
Connoisseur

Ohio
I've never bought one specifically made for teachers. I've made one by stuffing a glove, stitching or gluing down all but the pointer finger, and attaching it to a dowel rod. I've used magic wands from the dollar store, flyswatters, and a funny plush flower with a long stem that I got at a thrift store. Someone gave me once that they had made with a styrofoam apple stuck on the end of a dowel. I like to put pencil erasers (the kind you buy to stick on the end of a pencil) on the pointer end so they are softer in the event of an accidental poking (the children use them sometimes). I've also made a class set of pointers by spray painting paint stirrers bright colors. I got those for free at a local home improvement store. They have really long ones you can get for stirring the 5-gallon buckets of paint, too.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:21 AM
Phenom

Midwest
When I did my pre internship my mentor teacher had a basket with those fingers you get at Halloween...these looked like witch's fingers. The students would slip it over their pointer finger & have this "finger" pointer. It was really cute.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:37 AM
Comrade

Kindergarten
I bought a pointer stick that has a hand at the end of it with the pointer finger pointing. They cost $6.95 (Australian dollars).

I use a flyswat with a rectangle cut out in the middle. It is big enough to highlight parts of words or words that are of interest. They're really cheap.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:38 AM
Comrade

Kindergarten
what about using a giant pencil?
Old 07-27-2007, 07:29 AM
Aficionado

I just have one from the teacher store. It has a wooden dolphin on it. We actually use it as a talking stick. Sometimes we point to maps... how are you using these? To read around the room? What grade?
Old 07-27-2007, 07:50 AM
Comrade

California
6th Grade Language Arts
For pointing around the room, I used fly swatters, back scratchers, "wands" (like fairy wands), and a foam "we're #1" hand that you get at baseball games. For pointing in Big Books (to circle words, punctuation) I used bubble blowers (large & small), wiki stix (that wax stuff), and colorful crazy straws. For pointing in their individual readers, students used popsicle sticks that they decorated or the slip on monster fingers (mentioned above by Diznee).
I taught kinder for 4 years.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:54 AM
Connoisseur

Midwest
1st Grade Teacher
http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/IWC...7s%3A563ms%3A+

they have others also.

Tags
pointer, sticks