A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 07-16-2007, 01:01 PM
Virtuoso

US of A
3/4, Classical Educator
How do you orgnize/use your grade book?

I've taught kinder so I've never had to deal with grade books before. I bought a grade book from Target's dollar spot, but I have no good ideas on how to organize the grade book. I know I need a spot for math, writing, spelling, reading, social studies, science, homework, and PE. I really have no clue on how to use a grade book. HELP!!!

Old 07-16-2007, 01:12 PM
Fanatic

Ohio
3rd Grade Teacher
I keep a paper and an online grade book.

In my paper grade book I use a two-page spread per subject per nine weeks. I keep all of one subject together. For example, I teach Reading first in the morning, so it get the first four sections of my grade book. Then I go to the next subject.

I usually keep spelling with writing. Homework goes with the subject it is for, not a section by itself.

Check the grade book you purchased to make sure it has enough pages for everything you want to document.

In the two-page spread I usually put tests/quizzes/projects on one side and homework/classwork/miscellaneous on the other side.

I record failing grades in a bright color; this helps to see at a glance where there are problems.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:19 PM
Multitudinous

We're not allowed to keep paper gradebooks. Everything has to be done in our online gradebook, EasyGradePro.

I have a lot of special scores set up, and I really like doing it that way. Instead of entering a zero if a student is missing an assignment, I just type in 'M' for missing. When the kid's progress report prints out, it lists all those missing assignments so the parent can immediately see that the kid made no attempt (versus attempting but failing).

The special scores automatically assign a score to the assignment if I want them to. Missing equals zero.

Other special scores I have are:

O for Off-task (for participation points) -- zero points
E for Excused (absent for in-class work where no make-up is required) -- doesn't count
NE for Not enrolled (for students who transfer in--we have a high transiency rate) -- doesn't count
C for Complete -- full credit
I for Incomplete -- 60%
Old 07-16-2007, 01:31 PM
Devotee

Georgia
5th Grade Teacher
I have a different page for the following subjects: reading, math, LA, SS, science, and health. I also have a separate page for attendance. I record hw in whatever subject it was for. I do the same for tests and quizzes. If a student is missing an assignment I usually circle the space where the missing grade should be. That way I can write the grade in when the assignment is completed, or write in a zero. One page/section lasts for nine weeks. I write the assignments across the top, and the date in the date section. I start with the first day of the grading period. Some teachers only write in the dates for when the assignment was given. I fill in all of the dates. When I transfer grades to the electronic gradebook, I put a red check above the grades I've already imputed.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:18 PM
Rookie

Mississippi
3rd Grade Teacher
I am also trying to decide how to set up the grade book. I wasn't sure if to put all of the first 9 weeks subjects together in the grade book (using up the first 5 or 6 pages of the book) then put the 2nd 9 weeks together, etc. But a friend suggested that the first page contain the 1st 9 weeks of Math, then leave 3 blank pages for the
2nd, 3rd, and 4th nine weeks. Do the same for each subject because she said she found herself comparing reading grade from one grading period to the next and it was easier if they were all together. I also like the idea from shasha about putting all the days of the grading period in the grade book and not just the days that assignments were given.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:55 PM
Phenom

Arkansas, USA
2nd Grade All-Boy Teacher
You should figure out what grades will be reported on the report card. We have digital gradebooks, but I always keep a hard copy. I do this in case of any "program failures" and because we are required to turn a hard copy in as well. Since we have a digital gradebook, I don't enter any special class grades. The teachers for those classes do that.
I break my gradebook into several different sections, each with enough space behind them for 4 9 weeks. My first section is Attendance. Then that is followed by Language Arts (which includes our reading, writing, and word study-all one grade). That is then followed by Math. The last section is a behavior section. I keep track of my classroom behavior daily. That's basically it. I have lots of extra room in my current gradebooks.
In the past, we have given more than 2 grades (Language Arts was broken up into 3 separate grades) for our 2nd graders. I have always had enough room for every subject.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:01 AM
Virtuoso

US of A
3/4, Classical Educator
Thank you everyone for sharing how you use grade books. I'm sure using those electronic grade books are much easier, unfortunately, our school doesn't use them. So, I'm stuck with the paper method.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:17 AM
Phenom

Nebraska
ELL
I have sections in my gradebook for English, reading, social studies (2), science, religion, spelling/vocabulary, and art. The other 5th grade teacher does math. I count off four pages for each subject and use paper clips to separate the sections. This saves me from having to write out names at the beginning of every quarter. I don't worry about writing grades and assignments in the "proper" day's column-I write the assignment at the bottom of the column below the kids names and have one row I mark value about 2 rows below where the kids' names end. Grades go where you would expect, and date of each assignment goes at the top of the column.

Did you buy the gradebook that had the name columns along the spiral? I got one of those, but I don't know if I want to use it considering where the name columns are. I don't know how that is supposed to work, but its nice to have the name columns on both sides of the spread and not just the far left of the left side/page.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:45 AM
Aficionado

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachyness
Thank you everyone for sharing how you use grade books. I'm sure using those electronic grade books are much easier, unfortunately, our school doesn't use them. So, I'm stuck with the paper method.
There are electronic grade books that you can buy. I use teacherease which is web based. I didn't have to pay for the 1st year that I used it.

I had a peer use Excel.

If possible, look at the report card & see how it is broken down. Then you can set up your gradebook that way.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:35 AM
Virtuoso

US of A
3/4, Classical Educator
Quote:
Originally Posted by runsw/scissors
Did you buy the gradebook that had the name columns along the spiral?
The grade book I bought has the name going down the sides on both pages.

I like the paper clip idea! I was going to use sticy post it note and write the subject on top. I guess I could do both. Acutally, now that I think about it, I"m color coding my subjects, so I could use paper clips that represent those colors! OOOoooh

Tags
book, grade, orgnize or use