A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Elementary Education Archives

Old 07-12-2007, 01:20 PM
Habitué

USA
Special Education Teacher
Sending intro letter to principal for student teaching?

I will be student teaching in a 1st grade class this September. I was thinking about sending an introduction letter of myself to the principal. It will be short and sweet and just state that I will be student teaching in so and so's classroom and I look forward to meeting him/her.

What do you think? I would like to stand out and I thought this would make a great first impression.

Old 07-12-2007, 01:56 PM
Habitué

PA
Kindergarten Teacher
I was able to meet with my principal before I student taught. There were 6 studnet teachers and I was the only one who met with her. We just chatted for about 5 minutes. It must have been good, because she get me my job with only one interview (with her!) None of the others got jobs in the district.
So, I say go ahead and send a letter or try to meet with him/her.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:01 PM
Companion

Early Childhood Teacher
Great idea! You could also go ahead and write your letter to the parents introducing yourself and why you are in their child's classroom.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:13 PM
Habitué

USA
Does anyone have an idea of what I should write and when I should send it? I was thinking about 2-3 weeks before the first day of school. I already planned on sending an introduction letter home to the parents (or even making a monthly classroom newsletter for the teacher and including my intro in the first newsletter).

Anyway, what should I write to the principal? I'm planning on also writing a thank you letter towards the end of my student teaching and mentioning how I'm looking for a teaching position and highlight certain skills I learned, certain responsibilities I had, etc.

For this letter, I'm thinking about writing something like.
Dear _____,
I would like to take this opportunity to introduce myself. My name is ____ and I am a full-time graduate student at ________. This September, I will be student teaching in ______'s 1st grade class.

I look forward to student teaching in your school and meeting with you.

What do you think? Thanks!
Old 07-12-2007, 02:41 PM
Enthusiast

Starting to get Stressed!, CO
2nd Grade Teacher
I think it's a great idea and would suggest doing it. It'll really set you apart from the others.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:57 PM
Companion

5th Grade Teacher
Sounds like a good idea. I would make it very short and sweet though as most principals I have talked to "joke" about having too much to read anyway and they can just add stuff like that to their pile.

Still, it would set you apart and he'd remember your name.

I just finished student teaching and did a thank you letter too. Just about how I appreciate all of the support we were given, etc. (And added that I would LOVE to be a part of the team at that school!)

edited to add that my supervising teacher also suggested I send a short email if he had a seminar or meeting with us stating how much I enjoyed it and pointing out something that I learned. (She said she could write a book about sucking up! HA!)
Old 07-12-2007, 04:41 PM
Habitué

USA
I figured that any little bit helps because I live in NJ and the job market here is very competitive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCTCHR
Sounds like a good idea. I would make it very short and sweet though as most principals I have talked to "joke" about having too much to read anyway and they can just add stuff like that to their pile.

Still, it would set you apart and he'd remember your name.

I just finished student teaching and did a thank you letter too. Just about how I appreciate all of the support we were given, etc. (And added that I would LOVE to be a part of the team at that school!)

edited to add that my supervising teacher also suggested I send a short email if he had a seminar or meeting with us stating how much I enjoyed it and pointing out something that I learned. (She said she could write a book about sucking up! HA!)

Tags
intro, letter, principal, sending, student, teaching