A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Elementary Education Archives

Old 07-12-2007, 11:49 PM
Cohort

texas
5th Grade Bilingual
my behavior chart is on the far left side here: http://www.aquemarropa.com/images/fu...skillboxes.jpg I used cartoon graphics (SpongeBob, Powerpuff Girls, Curious George, Scooby Doo) and had the following areas for students to move their clothespins:
(TOP)
Fantastic Day! (Get a letter written to parent + sticker)
Great Work (Get a sticker)
Good Day (All students start here each morning)
1st Warning (-5 minutes of recess)
2nd Warning (-10 min of recess, move to another area/room)
3rd Warning (-15 min of recess, write letter to parent/teacher)
Go to Office
(BOTTOM)

This system was EXTREMELY effective for me in 1st & 2nd grades, and I created it after modifying several other teachers' charts to meet my students' needs. I firmly believe students should be able to show improvement during the course of the day, even if they're on task and well-behaved. I wasn't so happy with the recess deductions but it worked well for those groups of kids. This system was mirrored with a paper chart that students filled out daily reporting their behavior, which was to be signed nightly by a parent/guardian. I have the chart available as a Word document if anyone wants it... and it's bilingual!

Old 07-13-2007, 12:05 AM
Novice

Indiana
behavior

I realize this plan is a little different than what you are using but some readers may find it helpful. I use a conduct and work habits folder. On one side are all the rules and work habits with a letter. (Example: A. Following morning procedures.) I list every area that could be a problem. Last year, I went to the letter Q! At the bottom, I have a grading scale. (Example: 0-3 letters = E, etc.). On the other side of the manilla folder is a calendar. When there is a problem, I write the letter on that particular day. Students take the folders home on Friday and they are signed by the parent and returned on Monday. Mom & Dad know exactly what the citizenship grade will be on the report card. I found this to be a very effective behavior plan.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:03 AM
Devotee

TN
1st Grade Teacher
[QUOTE=noreenk]my behavior chart is on the far left side here: http://www.aquemarropa.com/images/fu...skillboxes.jpg I used cartoon graphics (SpongeBob, Powerpuff Girls, Curious George, Scooby Doo) and had the following areas for students to move their clothespins:
(TOP)
Fantastic Day! (Get a letter written to parent + sticker)
Great Work (Get a sticker)
Good Day (All students start here each morning)
1st Warning (-5 minutes of recess)
2nd Warning (-10 min of recess, move to another area/room)
3rd Warning (-15 min of recess, write letter to parent/teacher)
Go to Office
(BOTTOM)

This is GREAT!!! I love the idea that they can improve and move their clip up! I would love to see the chart you mentioned and the letter you send for a fantastic day. Could you post them or PM me with them?
Old 07-13-2007, 10:42 AM
Companion

Missouri
Kindergarten Teacher
I have the ocean theme in my classroom. On a BB I divided it into 3 sections with ocean boarder. I have a fish with each child's name on it at the top of the BB next to a bigger fish with a smiling face. The second or middle section I have a big fish with a strait face and on the third section I have a big fish with a frown face.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:01 PM
Companion

California
Kindergarten Teacher
Mine is a cut out of bears (big die cut). I have 5 colors. 1st is Pink "super;" 2nd is green "good" and everyone starts on a good day; 3rd is orange "uh-oh" (warning), 4th is red "time out" and last is black notify home/send to anther class/principal (depending on what the child did). I put ther name on clothes pins and the kids move their clips up or down (thoughout the day... even the last minute of school).
Old 07-14-2007, 11:54 AM
Cohort

texas
5th Grade Bilingual
arrgh, I have no idea how to attach files to private messages! so if you go to this link you can download the behavior chart I described for 1st/2nd grade that allows students to move up and down and uses cartoon graphics. It is bilingual since I had a dual language class, and is color-coded by language. Everyone had a clothespin that started on Good Day each morning.

The behavior chart was used in conjunction with our weekly behavior sheet. I shrunk down the image and had a column with it for each day of the week. At the end of the day, students had to circle their behavior and write down any comments about it below. Their parents had to sign this sheet each night and I checked signatures each morning. It was rare for more than a couple students to get to Fantastic Day or 2nd/3rd warning, so it made both extremes more significant. The Fantastic Day letter home was a template that I made that said, "Today ______ had a FANTASTIC day! He/She was respectful, hard working and a super 2nd grader! Congratulations! Ms. N"
Old 07-15-2007, 12:18 PM
Rookie

CA
For the traffic light idea -What grade do you teach? I like the idea but I have an issue with publicly displaying everyones behavior as kids will label each other as well as themselves. If they go to yellow can they earn there way back to green? How does it work throughout the day?
Old 07-15-2007, 12:23 PM
Connoisseur

New York
Reading Interventionist
I teach 2nd grade. I do personally think that it is okay to display behaviors throughout the day because how else will a child know what direction their day is going withouth any reinforcement or something to look at for reference? I'm not one to just keep repeating myself, "Well, John, you know you are not having a good day." Or "This is my third time talking to you, get your act together!" I post what each color means right next to the chart so it is self explainatory. No questions or explanations needed. The parents are informed on the procedure as well.
But yes, if a child gets to yellow or any other color, they can "work" their way back to green before the end of the day. In other words, they are in charge of their own day. They are responsible for their own behaviors, not the teacher.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:51 PM
Rookie

CA
I will be teaching a K/1 this year coming from 3 year in Pre-K. How has your experience been with children that struggle with impulsiveness? Do you have those students that are always seemingly in the yellow or red? If so is there anything you do to help that child in addition to the stop light? I know my age group just from a developmental standpoint are learning the skills we want them to exhibit in the classroom (especially those that are in school for the first time) and I want to positively reinforce their successes. I guess I want a way to make it a positive as opposed to a punishment or negative. Does that make sense?
Old 07-15-2007, 01:47 PM
Devotee

Georgia USA
since my school is doing stars as a theme i am planning to make a vertical chart and a star or maybe a rocket cutout for each child. My theme is "reach for the stars" so on my chart there will be earth at the bottom, then clouds (stratosphere), moon, U.F.O./space ship, solar system, milky way galaxy. Everyone starts as a U.F.O, and if they make it to the milky way three times they get a mini milky way candy at the end of the week.

i haven't figured out a creative u.f.o acronmyn yet....but i want it to mean someting like present and ready for take off.

hth

Tags
behavior, chart, creative, fun, ideas