A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > General Education Archives

Old 07-09-2007, 10:49 AM
Comrade

Alabama
I want to make a tree and I need your help!

Our grade level theme is "Tree House" and I don't have time/resources to build a tree house so I want to make a tree in a corner in my room to put green outdoor carpet around and have a reading center. I need ideas of how to make this tree. I'm thinking that it won't be an entire tree just one side of the trunk and some branches going up into the ceiling. I could make it flat but I want it to be 3-D. Have any of you done this or know someone who has? Do you have any ideas? Thanks in advance for your help!

Old 07-09-2007, 11:07 AM
Newcomer

Texas
3rd Grade Teacher
tree help

Hello!

I had a friend who made a tree for her classroom using bulletin board paper. It was really cool! She kind of crumbled brown paper and either hot glued or taped (we had cinder block walls) the tree to one corner of the room. She used several pieces of bulletin board paper so it puffed out and was 3D looking. (She might have even twisted it a little) She then crumbled big pieces of green paper and paper clipped them to the ceiling. (we had accoustical ceiling tiles). She made the green paper really long to where it looks like branches of leaves hanging from the ceiling. It was very big and stretched over the classroom. The kids loved it and the parents did too! I hope this helps! I love the green carpet idea too! She also used her tree to put animals in it (paper ones) with sight words on them or other words the kids needed to know.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:22 AM
Fanatic

Kansas
Google Chicka Chicka Boom Boom Make a Palm tree. You will get lots of ideas for a Chicka Chicka Boom Boom tree.

Make your trunk and use an umbrella spokes for the leaves.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:49 PM
Maven

Florida
Fifth Grade QUEST (Gifted) Teacher
Use tissue paper for the leaves, and perhaps crumble a little bit of newspaper underneath the tissue paper or whatever you use to bring out the tree. Make sure the leaves are a little higher so the kids aren't able to grasp at them.

If I taught K-2, I'd DEFINITELY have a tree.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:19 PM

Florida
We did it and used butcher paper. You could fill the trunk with anything though, then wrap in butcher paper. You could also have several long tubes from gift wrap in the middle. Twist the paper for the branches and staple to the ceiling and wall.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:50 PM
Devotee

Georgia
4th Grade Teacher
If you have a carpet store near you, ask for the cardboard roll from a roll of carpet. They are very heavy and make a great tree trunk.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:39 PM
Novice

Illinois
I, too, am trying to make a palm tree (we have a jungle theme this year) and I have the long rolls, but I am trying to find a way to secure them in the coffee cans that I am going to use as a base. Does anyone have any ideas?? I have tried using plaster of paris, but that doesn't seem to be heavy enough to withstand the weight from the top of the tree. My fiance' suggested using cement in the bottom of the cans, but I would be worried that a child would trip and the thing would come toppling down on the their foot.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:22 PM
Comrade

Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by preschoolgal
I, too, am trying to make a palm tree (we have a jungle theme this year) and I have the long rolls, but I am trying to find a way to secure them in the coffee cans that I am going to use as a base. Does anyone have any ideas?? I have tried using plaster of paris, but that doesn't seem to be heavy enough to withstand the weight from the top of the tree. My fiance' suggested using cement in the bottom of the cans, but I would be worried that a child would trip and the thing would come toppling down on the their foot.
I know how to do this! Instead of securing them at the floor hang them from the ceiling with fishing line! Make sure the line is long enough where the bottom is just on the floor. You can even make them lean like real palm trees!

Really I'm looking for ideas more like an apple or oak tree.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:12 PM
Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPatten
Our grade level theme is "Tree House" and I don't have time/resources to build a tree house so I want to make a tree in a corner in my room to put green outdoor carpet around and have a reading center. I need ideas of how to make this tree. I'm thinking that it won't be an entire tree just one side of the trunk and some branches going up into the ceiling. I could make it flat but I want it to be 3-D. Have any of you done this or know someone who has? Do you have any ideas? Thanks in advance for your help!

You can check out my school website. I had a tree setting last year. I bought a green rug at Home Depot for less than 20 dollars. Here's a photo of it.

http://209.18.101.213/berlin/JFK/Cla...27%20Classroom
Old 08-24-2007, 02:21 PM
Novice

Kansas
children's ministry 2-12
Just wondering if you were able to get your tree done before classes started.

Tags
make, tree