A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Elementary Education Archives

Old 07-02-2007, 04:58 AM
Novice

Virginia
2nd Grade Teacher
morning meeting greetings

I am reading the Morning Meeting book and I really like it. For anyone who does a morning meeting what types of greetings do you do? I've been reading all the different kinds but some seem so long. Anyone have some good ones that don't take forever?
Jen

Old 07-02-2007, 05:04 AM

USA
Kindergarten Teacher
Quicky lefty righty (turn and shake hands with the person on either side of you)

Hand shake (start on one side of the circle and go around)

Hello my name is (good for start of school yr or if you have a new person in the room, start on one side f the circle and go around one at a time)

Baseball greeting ( students pick a single, double, triple or homerun, than move to that person in circle and high five them.and take their seat, than it's that person's turn).

E.T. greeting: around circle one at a time or quicky lefty righty idea, just using your finger tip.

My name is Ms. B and I can do this, the rest repeat her name is Ms B and she can do this ( any movement I do).

That is all I can think of before my morning tea. My morning meeting took about 25 minutes. But at the start of the school yr it did take me closer to 35 mins.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:13 AM
Devotee

ME
One that my kids just BEGGED to do was the 'shoe game' - everyone puts 1 shoe in the center and then the kids have to pick out a shoe and try to guess who the shoe belongs to... they get 3 guesses and then the owner confesses ownership... this takes about 10 minutes so we only did it on days when we had a little more time.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:15 AM
Companion

WI
1st Grade Teacher
I can write back later with more ideas, but when we were short on time, I would have the kids say good morning to eachother, but in different voices (mouse, squeaky, giant, robot, etc.). Or, instead of shaking hands, we would use pinkies, elbows, touch feet, etc. THey were just saying a quick good morning, but the variation made it more fun.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:40 AM
Novice

New York
in my morning meeting (3rd), we shake hands with the person on the left and the person on the right. i like the idea of greeting, because my kids tend to look at the floor when they shake your hand......i'm big on a good firm handshake!
however, while greeting the person to our left and right, we say something.....in a different language...what we say is limited, but we throw in french, german, spanish, howdy, top of the mornin' to you on st. patricks day, good day mate.....just saying good morning for 184 days got old....so we do the best we can.

some kids get pretty creative...but i like other ideas that were posted on this sight.....now i can really change it up!

Old 07-02-2007, 07:51 AM
Companion

New Jersey
One of kids favorites last year was "I never" or "A River Runs Through it" - it was fun and you could stop as soon as everyone has been greeted. Usually 4-5 quick rounds.

Snowball greeting - everybody write your name on a piece of paper (once you've done this you can save the paper and reuse for a really quick greeting), crumple it up, toss it in the middle. Then find one and greet that person.

The longest greeting are definitely the round the circle ones - just don't do that everyday. Also, don't always use the left/right greetings as students will end up always greeting their friends.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:10 AM
Devotee

1st and 2nd grade teacher
How does the "A River Runs Through It" greeting work? I am pressed for time in the mornings (well all day really) but would like to use these. I think they are a great way to build community.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:33 AM
Companion

New Jersey
Sorry, movies on the brain... mean "A River Rises". A description is on the link below, and I think it's in the morning mtg. book.

I made it into a greeting by me (or a designated student) the caller and students with designated commonalities go to the middle and greet each other.

Heres a great link with some greetings and activities: http://www.originsonline.org/res_classroom.php
Old 07-02-2007, 10:59 AM
Habitué

WA
3rd Grade Teacher
Wow, that is a great website!
Old 07-02-2007, 11:26 AM
Fanatic

Arizona
2nd Grade Teacher
I use a lot of what the other posters have said...
Handshake greeting
Quicky lefty righty (I only use this when the morning work ran long for some reason or we have someplace to go in the morning! I don't like it because it gets loud, lol)
St. Patricks Day greeting
Spanish greeting
French greeting
Butterfly greeting
High Five greeting
Pinky Shake greeting
Elbow Shake greeting
Ball greeting
Based on what we are studying we'll try to make up greetings for that, kids come up with them!

We also do Hickety Pickety Bumblee Bee the first day of school or when we get a new student. We also sing Hello Neighbor by Dr. Jean sometimes.

Tags
meeting, morning