A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Elementary Education Archives

Old 06-28-2007, 08:32 AM
Rookie

Texas
Student Teacher
First Grade Community Service Project

Hello everyone,
I need help: As a student teacher next semester I need to come up with a community service project that my first grade students can do. We were given no specific guidelines, but I am having trouble coming up with ideas.

The school where I am placed is in a low SES area and most of my students will probably not have much “extra” to contribute (monetary). I had thought of maybe collecting cans, recycling them and donating the money to a charity that the students vote on. I also thought of collecting canned goods and donating them to the food bank. However, I was wondering if any of you have done anything like this. I would like to do something that the students can enjoy.

My personal goal is that the students in my class will realize that even as first graders they can make a difference.

Any suggestions?

Old 06-28-2007, 11:49 AM
Multitudinous

NEW YORK
Math teacher
I haven't done anything like this with my HS math kids, but as usual I have an opinion.

How about something that little kids are great at: being cute.

Contact a local Senior Center or Nursing home. See if the kids can "adopt a grandparent" to whom they can send letters/pictures/cards. At holiday time you can buy a box of 25 for a few dollars, and have each child sign it and draw a picture... maybe even include a photograph.

Those elderly folks would love it!!
Old 07-07-2007, 08:03 PM
Comrade

we do a school wide recycling newspaper drive. We send out a letter (students genterate ideas for letter) and we collect papers for a month.(around earth day) We walk to the recycling center. You will need help with this. I get the help of my parents, PTA, and staff to get the papers to the recycling center. We make a goal and have a tree (class made)with a goal meter. We set a goal in weight and we weigh the papers before they go to the rec. center. We do a week long study on rec. and we even recycle newspapers in class. Email me privately if you decide to do this and if you need help
Old 07-07-2007, 08:12 PM
Groupie

Pennsylvania
I did an interesting project with the elementary school kids at my church where they decorated bags used to transport food for meals on wheels. I got really great feedback on that. Along the same lines, you could decorate plain white placemats for a local soup kitchen.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:15 PM
Connoisseur

Illinois
1st Grade Teacher
During student teaching my first graders wrote letters to local hospitals, hotels, and doctors offices (including places where kid's parents or relatives worked) asking for donations of hygiene products (like soap, little shampoo bottles, etc) and easy first-aid products (Band-Aids, etc). The kids sorted these into large Ziplocs that they decorated and donated these care packages to a local homeless shelter.

You might want to contact a local AmeriCorps center, or perhaps a volunteer coordination center if you're in a large area. They might have ideas for ways to help!
Old 07-07-2007, 09:35 PM
Companion
MissMcCollum has a birthday It's my birthday! MissMcCollum has a birthday

Nevada
5th Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliceacc
I haven't done anything like this with my HS math kids, but as usual I have an opinion.

How about something that little kids are great at: being cute.

Contact a local Senior Center or Nursing home. See if the kids can "adopt a grandparent" to whom they can send letters/pictures/cards. At holiday time you can buy a box of 25 for a few dollars, and have each child sign it and draw a picture... maybe even include a photograph.

Those elderly folks would love it!!
You posted this before I could get to it! I know that elderly citizens at nursing homes tend to be lonely, often they don't have family nearby, or if they do they may not be able to visit all of the time. Doing something as simple as making cards and sending them to the nursing home, or dropping them off, would make the biggest difference in the world to them.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:51 PM
Companion

The Mountains of North Carolina, US
1st Grade Teacher
How about donating dog/cat food to a local animal shelter?
Old 07-07-2007, 10:08 PM
Cohort

Midwest
homemade dog treats

The class could make homemade doggie treats (check with the shelters first!)

Dog Food Recipe Ingredients:
• 1 3/4 cups flour
• 1/4 cup sesame seeds
• 1/2 cup brown sugar
• 12 tbs. butter
• 1/2 cup ground walnuts
• 1 egg yolk
• 1/2 cup vanilla extract
• 2 tbs. toasted wheat germ
Dog Food Recipe Directions:
Combine ingredients, knead until thoroughly blended. Roll out till 1/2" thick. Cut into shapes or just squares. Bake at 375F on un-greased cookie sheet for 12-15 minutes. Cool. Store in airtight container. Keeps 2 weeks.

google "dog bone cookie cutters" , if needed
Old 07-08-2007, 09:32 AM
Aficionado

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb4pebbles
How about donating dog/cat food to a local animal shelter?
Check before you collect, some centers only want a particular brand. This way if an animal gets sick they know it wasn't because of the food.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:13 PM
Maven

Preschool Teacher
Ditto the Nursing Home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMcCollum
You posted this before I could get to it! I know that elderly citizens at nursing homes tend to be lonely, often they don't have family nearby, or if they do they may not be able to visit all of the time. Doing something as simple as making cards and sending them to the nursing home, or dropping them off, would make the biggest difference in the world to them.
I can truly agree with Alicecc and MissMcCollum! I have brought my Girl Scout troops to nursing homes and senior centers, and they love them! Every senior wants to have a child read to them, sing, dance, and just get a hug. Some may shy away, but usually they come back later, when the big crowd has gone! I know my folks are in a nursing home, and every Sunday I see little children come visit, usually from local churches.

Have you considered teaming up with your local library? You can have your class do a theme and help decorate the children's department. Or you can invite librarian to visit you, and make sure all kids get cards. The kids can in turn visit regularly too, maybe donate gently used crayons to library box, or clean up outside the library (wearing gloves) once a week!

Tags
community, grade, project, service