A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Debate & Marathon Threads Archive

Old 06-24-2007, 01:28 AM
Multitudinous

What makes a bad teacher?

There are lots of qualities which good teachers share: concern for students, knowledge of subject area, enthusiasm, blah blah blah.

But what makes a bad teacher? Do you remember your worst teacher? What was he or she like? Did you do anything to let them know how much you didn't like them?

I had an Algebra II teacher in the 10th grade who was a real gem. She wasn't mean, exactly, but she was...something. She would just go through her problems on the overhead projector, never stopping to ask us if we understood it. She never answered our questions, opting instead to answer some unrelated, unasked question.

One time she gave us a quiz and half the class got Ds or Fs on it--I got a D. She announced our names in front of the whole class and made us do a retake right then. I was super embarrassed and angry that she said my name in front of everyone. To get even with her and to show her that I wasn't stupid, I decided to do my test using Roman numerals. Later when she handed back our quizzes, she wrote "See me" on mine. When I did, she informed me that I had gotten an F because I was being mean and disrespectful. I then opened my textbook to the lesson where we learned about...Roman numerals! I said that the quiz never specified that our answers needed to be in Arabic format, and if that's what she wanted then she should have asked for it.

I ended up bringing the whole matter to the principal who told her that as long as my Roman numerals were correct, she had to give me the points. I won.

Cassie: 1
Mrs. Vandenburg: 0

Old 06-24-2007, 02:14 AM
Aficionado

MA, USA
Prinicpal 7-12 Private School & SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie753
There are lots of qualities which good teachers share: concern for students, knowledge of subject area, enthusiasm, blah blah blah.

But what makes a bad teacher? Do you remember your worst teacher? What was he or she like? Did you do anything to let them know how much you didn't like them?

I had an Algebra II teacher in the 10th grade who was a real gem. She wasn't mean, exactly, but she was...something. She would just go through her problems on the overhead projector, never stopping to ask us if we understood it. She never answered our questions, opting instead to answer some unrelated, unasked question.

One time she gave us a quiz and half the class got Ds or Fs on it--I got a D. She announced our names in front of the whole class and made us do a retake right then. I was super embarrassed and angry that she said my name in front of everyone. To get even with her and to show her that I wasn't stupid, I decided to do my test using Roman numerals. Later when she handed back our quizzes, she wrote "See me" on mine. When I did, she informed me that I had gotten an F because I was being mean and disrespectful. I then opened my textbook to the lesson where we learned about...Roman numerals! I said that the quiz never specified that our answers needed to be in Arabic format, and if that's what she wanted then she should have asked for it.

I ended up bringing the whole matter to the principal who told her that as long as my Roman numerals were correct, she had to give me the points. I won.

Cassie: 1
Mrs. Vandenburg: 0
I love that!

First, about 90% of all math teachers in the WORLD are just horrible teachers. The ones on here (Alice and others)and one at my school are an exception. I can remembering having 2 good math teachers from grades 6-12. Two good math teachers and 6 good social studies teachers!

My worse teacher had to be my 9th grade English Teacher, we will call her Ms. M. She frequently harassed me about my poor spelling, but offered no real help on how to improve it. She would write on all my essays: C+, you must improve your spelling, with out any comments on how to improve my actual writing. She once took off 7 points becuase I was doing a quiz at the end of class and did not have alot of time, and noticed that I forgot to cpatalize something. So instead of going back and crossing it off I put three lines under it which I always knew meant to unerline. But she did not know this and took off seven points. I got a 91 instead of a 98. I was flamming at the mouth. After being told not to slack off by her, I went straight to her department head (my future English 10 teacher) and showed her the quiz. Guess what I got my 7 points. This teacher also told us that grades do not matter, so we should no worry about those journals that were due to months ago and she did not grade. Guess what she is still teaching!
Old 06-24-2007, 05:13 AM
Multitudinous

NEW YORK
Math teacher
Sorry Brendan, I have to disagree publically with that one.

It may be your experience; it certainly hasn't been mine. I had some awful math teachers in HS. But in the 2 schools in which I've worked, as well as my husbands's school I would say that the math departments are both strong. They're filled with caring compassionate teachers who try to make the material interesting and understandable. They spend their time on task, using every available moment for teaching and explaining.

Now, from what you've said about the math department in your school, I can see that your experience has been a bit different.
Old 06-24-2007, 08:37 AM
Magnifico

Kindergarten Teacher
I didn't like any of my math teachers either until 10th grade. From then on, even in college they were great.

I had some doozies. My worst teacher though was my 2nd year Spanish teacher. Unlike the first Spanish teacher, this one actually had an accent. That's fine except that I'm REALLY hard of hearing and rely a lot on lipreading. I couldn't understand the woman even when she was talking in English. SO when I would tell her this on a DAILY basis she would claim that she picked people randomly, BUT in fact she started the class out calling on me EVERYDAY to answer sometimes a very simple first year question that I had no problems answering if I knew what she said. She would spend a good 15 min of class waiting for me to answer before she would move on. One girl behind me took pity on me and would wait until she was destracted and ask me the question (not give me the answer). I would answer and then the spotlight would move on. The teacher got wind of it and about half way through the year moved this girl to the other side of the room! I could pass the tests and read and write the material but I couldn't converse because I couldn't hear or lipread the woman. She was hateful about it. Then at the end of the year I got a special hearing aide that looks like a microphone for the teacher and a box and she says, "Why didn't you tell me." DUH!!!!

P.S. I can't speak, read or write Spanish. I will never take another class. I'm bilingual in sign language and English and that's enough for me.
Old 06-24-2007, 09:06 AM
Groupie

California
My worst teacher was in 4th grade. She made fun of my handwriting in front of the whole class. She did this by doing a demonstration of bad penmanship by putting examples of my handwriting on the chalkboard and telling the class it was MY handwriting. Other things that make bad teachers: not giving grades on time, not reteaching material, refusing to modify assignments for special education students, teaching material the same way, humliating students in public, humliating teacher's aides in public, acting like a prima donna.

I had a wonderful math teacher in high school.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:54 AM
Multitudinous

Ontario, Canada
Grade 7/8
In my view, a bad teacher is one who doesn't respect the students they teach, one who "controls" their students through intimidation, ridicule, and bullying. These teachers do so much harm to their students.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:26 AM
Comrade

Texas
The worst teacher's that I have had do the following

- Have no structure
- Teacher does not care or take an interest in students
- Teacher does not try to relate with students
- Teach to the test (tons of TAKS practice ugg)
- Do not understand their subject
- Do not relate subject to student's
- Are not fair to all students in the classroom

I hate to say it but in 17 years of being educated in a public school classroom I can count the number of good ones on one hand.
Old 06-24-2007, 02:05 PM
Guru

Even as a student, I would get so aggravated at teachers who were unorganized. Why would you want to search through three piles on your desk and two on the floor to find our assignment or graded tests? Most teachers nag students about organization, yet they are embarrassingly unorganized themselves.

As an adult, I subbed for a man my husband and I both know...it was so bad I had to take a couple pictures to show my husband. Sorry, but I just had to. It was a fire hazard, first of all, but the most cluttered, filthy room I'd ever been in. He had a mini-fridge which had bit the dust I assume, but the door was cracked and a McDonald's yogurt was turned upside down, had oozed onto the floor, "caramelized", and trapped numerous bugs. I could go on, but...

So, my point is, I don't believe that being unorganized necessarily makes you a bad teacher, because I know good teachers who are disgusting. But being organized is a skill students should learn, and teachers should be the example.
Old 06-24-2007, 02:13 PM
Groupie

USA
PK-5
I have been blessed with fantastic teachers the whole way through with only a few exceptions and only one that I feel was horrible.

When I was in middle school I had this French teacher who gave me a C. I was a straight A student all the way, so naturally my mom asked for a conference to see what was going on. The teacher told my mom that I talked to my friends the whole time she was teaching and talked back and didn't do my homework. (!!) My mom had the feeling the teacher didn't know who I was so she asked the teacher simple questions like about where I sat, what color hair I had, etc. The teacher couldn't answer them. She had no clue.

As a teacher, the same pet peeve about teachers still rings true. I worked with a teacher who just made up his grades. It was obvious in a number of ways. It bothers me that he hurt the students by not evaluating their needs. He, too, didn't know the names of his 4th graders at the end of the year (80 of them). In addition, he was the science teacher and the kids did silent reading about half the time ????
Old 06-24-2007, 02:14 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
Bad teachers:

have no connection to their students
lack management skills
are not flexible
are not reflective
are not proactive
think the problem is 'them' not 'me'

Tags