A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Job Seekers

Old 06-20-2007, 08:10 PM
Devotee

Loving life and daring to live it!
Upper Elementary Teacher
How many interviews before a job offer

Good evening! Like all of you, I am a highly qualified teacher applying for and searching for jobs like crazy! I was lucky enough to student teach at a great school (Southwest Ohio/Cincinnati area) and was lucky enough to do a long term sub from Feb. to the end of the year in the same building. Due to decreased enrollment however, I was not offered the position I was subbing for. I subbed for enough days to qualify for benefits under the teacher association's contract and I now have to be interviewed for any job I apply for within the district. It's a high in, which I'm very grateful for. The principal where I worked helped me draft my resume and cover letter, and both have been well reviewed.

I have interviewed for four positions, two in district and two out of district. I know that the market is VERY tight in my area and I should be grateful for my interviews but every phone call I get expresses that "you are a highly qualified, passionate professional..." but yet no job offer. I was just wondering how many interviews some of you went on before you recieved an offer? The principal where I subbed and student taught is even calling principals in district on my behalf for me when I post for jobs internally. Reading some of your posts have made me feel better, but I would just like some feedback on how many interviews some of you went on before being offered a job?

Thanks and keep trucking along!

Old 06-20-2007, 08:14 PM
Aficionado

Massachusetts
5th Grade Teacher
I graduated in May of 2005 and have had 13 interviews in public schools and one in a private school since then. I have not been offered any positions in the public schools, but did get the one in the private school, so I went on 14 interviews before my first offer. I'm searching once again in the public schools, though!
Old 06-20-2007, 08:21 PM
Cohort

That's a good turnover. I think I've gotten about 7 interviews or so. How many applications did you send out?
Old 06-20-2007, 08:36 PM
Devotee

Loving life and daring to live it!
Upper Elementary Teacher
The school districts around here are very picky out sending out applications/resumes. They pretty much insist you do it online and then take the gallop/teaching style polls when finished. I've done that for countless districts and sent about fifty packets with a cover letter, resume, references, and my electronic portfolio with my business card in a red folder.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:16 PM
Companion

California
2.1 interviews. The .1 interview was simply a "get to know you" conversation with the principal. There were really no formal interview questions. HR called me 15 minutes after I left her office with an offer. I'll be teaching 1st grade there in August.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:37 PM
Cohort

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveF
2.1 interviews. The .1 interview was simply a "get to know you" conversation with the principal. There were really no formal interview questions. HR called me 15 minutes after I left her office with an offer. I'll be teaching 1st grade there in August.
That's insane! How did you land that one?
Old 06-21-2007, 05:23 AM
Companion

A Tree
I went on 4 interviews so far this summer and received 1 offer. Luckily it was at my favorite school so I signed a contract.

Good luck!
Old 06-21-2007, 05:44 AM
Rookie

Massachusetts
5th Grade Teacher
Beth2004 where do you teach?
Old 06-21-2007, 11:29 AM
Comrade

Florida
3rd Grade ELA
One. I dropped off my resume at 8 am, got a call from the principal at lunch time, and was interviewed & offered the position at 9:30 the next morning.

That being said, the area that I live in has a shortage of teachers. It sounds like you have a lot of people in your corner... and I'm sure that you'll get a great offer soon.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:04 PM
Comrade

New York
6th Grade Teacher
I had 2 interviews before I got my first job. Then my position was cut due to enrollment. Since last May ('06) I've had 7 interviews and finally got offered a position.

Tags
interviews, job, offer