A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Secondary Education

Old 06-19-2007, 06:33 AM
Rookie

Ohio
Middle School Teacher
Middle School Classroom jobs?

I was just hired for an 8th grade position and I am thinking about having a "jobs list" for my students. It would just be maybe six jobs, that I would select random students to do each week. I noticed during my student teaching that there are lots of little things that my teachers were constantly asking students to do, like water plants, pick up the floor, shut down computers, erase the board. The students in the last class always got stuck doing everything and they complained the whole time. This is all stuff I would like my students to do, and I thought a randomly chosen job chart would be a fairer way to do this. Is this to childish for middle school? Does anyone have a system that they use that works well? Thanks!

Old 06-19-2007, 09:13 AM
Aficionado

MA, USA
Prinicpal 7-12 Private School & SS
I use student helpers. I usually have two to three of them per class. Their main responsiblity is collecting work, alphabetizing it (it is easy all the students have numbers), clipping it together, and then putting a stick note on top noting the #s that were not turned in. I do not assign them to a paticular job, one day I might ask them to write up the table of conents, organize the absence or sample binder, clean the board, hang up posters, clean, or anything else. My kids enjoy doing it and it allows me to focus a little bit less on the houskeeping aspect of things.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:06 AM
Rookie

Ohio
Middle School Teacher
Thanks Brendan! Thats a good idea. I think I will try that!
Old 06-19-2007, 07:30 PM
Comrade

Canada
Middle School Teacher
I teach a 7/8 split, and we have jobs. At the first of the year, I have a class meeting and we decide together what needs to get done. Then they created nametags and signs that I laminated and hung up. I (or a kid if I forget!!) change them on Mondays.

This years jobs are: floors, orders, gardener (plants and fish), boards, homework, and smiles! I liked their idea of smiles - one person is responsible for being happy that week - and they take it pretty seriously!!

I don't think that they are too old to have jobs, as long as it is presented in a "mature" way. Have fun!
Old 06-19-2007, 07:47 PM
Companion

Houston, Texas
7th Grade Teacher
My 7th graders have jobs. Each class period two students are responsible for passing out the folders and spirals at the beginning of the class. Someone else collects them at the end of the period. Another pair of students distribute/collect the current novels. Someone else passes back graded papers with me. They complain, not because it's babyish, but because they don't want to. I explain to them that it will take much longer and be much more chaotic if they are all trying to get their folders from the same basket at the beginning of class. So then I suggest that they just take their folders with them and bring them to class each day and if they don't I will issue a detention for not having their supplies. The grumbles usually stop then! I try to change names each month.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:09 AM
Rookie

Hawaii
Middle School Teacher
I know of teachers who assign "jobs" by rows. Every week, a certain row is in charge of passign out texts, clossing windows if its the end of the day, etc...

The job stays w/ the row of students for the whole week/for every period....makes it easier to keep track. She even writes on the board, This week, row so-and-so is in charge. Gives them a sense of responsibility, and ownership. Also, the other rows anticipate their turn to "be in charge"
Old 06-20-2007, 04:59 PM
Fanatic

Northwest
Preschool Teacher
They definitely need jobs. They are really little kids inside, but they want to be treated like grown ups. I think they get a secret thrill when some of the neat parts of elementary school are carried into jr. high. Plus, you don't need to be wasting your energy on anything they can do for you or themselves.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:21 PM
Comrade

California
I use classroom jobs to save my sanity! I only had two this year, but will be adding next year. I follow the alphabetical order of the students so they can be ready for the next week.

I love the idea of having the students decide what needs to be done!
Old 06-22-2007, 08:59 PM
Companion

IL
I've seen teachers who have jobs--and job applications. Students who want to do a particular job (for a month or a quarter) "apply" for the job and then get excited to earn it! Of course, this was in a 6th grade classroom, but it might work for 8th grade, too.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:12 PM
Aficionado

MA, USA
Prinicpal 7-12 Private School & SS
Personally, I have never restricted mys tudents to a certian amount of bathroom vists per term, semester, year, etc. I allow one kid out at a time, for a maximum of 10 minutes, to the nurse, or bathroom. Think about it, I do not know about you, but I hated teachers who would not let you go to the bathroom. I am also completely against rewarding those who do not use their hall passes with extra credit.

I do not start restricting kids on this untill it becomes a problem. If I notice that it is, first they get a warning, and then dention. Its that simple. To me its too much work for such a small issue.

My restrictions to bathroom time include notes only. During any other time they can go if they do not abuse it. Also, I have no probelm with students going for a walk, occasioanly, if they have something on their mind and cannot focus.

Tags
classroom, jobs, middle, school