A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Debate & Marathon Threads Archive

Old 06-07-2007, 02:42 PM
Rookie

Columbia, SC
Student Teacher
Building a Teacher's Wardrobe

I seriously need to build my professional wardrobe. Since I have begun my practica, I have found myself struggling to get dressed on the mornings that I have to attend a school. I have some dress pants and shirts, but I always feel overdressed. On the other hand, I cannot even consider wearing my jeans and Rainbow flip flops, but that is mostly what I have (I am a college student). I want to look nice and I want the teachers that I work with to respect me and think highly of me. How do I find that inbetween? How do teachers expect/want their student teachers and practicum students to dress? What are some good basics for an Elementary Education major who is in the process of building a professional wardrobe?

Old 06-07-2007, 03:55 PM
Devotee

Nevada
2nd Grade Teacher
I would suggest seperates. Skirts (around knee length) and blouses usually work well.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:12 PM
Companion

You want to look your age while still looking professional. Ann Taylor Loft has some nice pieces you can mix. They also have awesome sales if you go at the right time!
Old 06-07-2007, 04:19 PM
Multitudinous

NEW YORK
Math teacher
Kohls also has a lot of stuff in a variety of styles. Their website is great, and shipping is frequently $5, no matter what you buy. Sign up and they'll send you notices about sales.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:34 PM
Connoisseur

Illinois
1st Grade Teacher
I like New York and Company for nice pants, and they have some nice basic tops, too. You can typically find coupons in magazines like Cosmo, and they have frequent sales, too.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:10 PM
Rookie

Florida
Special Education Teacher
If you have a tight budget - try consignment shops. I've found excellent things there. Be prepared to find nothing, also. It just depends on your size and what's in the store at the time you shop.

I think anything tasteful is fine. Be comfortable, however, because you never know what you are going to be doing. I had one class where I was asked to sit in the floor with students and help with a project. Khaki's and a cotton top are no-fail teacher-duds.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:37 PM
Enthusiast

New York
Resource room
Whatever it looks like... you want something WASHABLE with POCKETS. Trust me.

Unfortunately, I haven't found much that fits both. I have some nice washable skirts and tops, but mostly no pockets and I wish I had more.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:54 AM
Companion

It depends on the dress code and atmosphere at the school. Look around at the teachers. Do they wear professional dress? My first school was very casual. Jeans and flip flops were allowed (no t-shirts). The school I am at now has a younger staff that tries to push the envelope, so the dress code is more strict. Check out the attire of the teachers around you, and try to stay with that. Khaki pants and black pants are always good to have. You can wear them with anything, just switch out the tops. Ross and TJ Max have good deals.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:40 AM
Companion

Special Education Teacher
When I was doing my practicas, we were always told that it was better to overdress than underdress. However, I remember that I wanted to dress the way that the other teaching staff did so that I didn't stick out anymore than I already felt I did! I was fortunate to find a ton of clothes during student teaching at Old Navy, but that was in the Fall. I have since had no luck there because they think everyone can wear those long shorts to work I did find some nice pieces at Target, JC Penney, J.Jill(a bit on the pricer side), and Kohls. Good Luck!
Old 06-08-2007, 08:41 AM
Enthusiast

Starting to get Stressed!, CO
2nd Grade Teacher
I have black and khaki pants from Kohl's that I interchange with button up shirts, sweaters, and blazers. I invested in some nice black and khaki loafters as well as 2 pairs of Dansko clogs ( a must for anyone on their feet everyday-worth the money). Then, you can accessorize. Boring, but it's professional and when you're on a budget, it works.

Tags
building, teacher, wardrobe