A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Preschool

Old 06-04-2007, 04:33 PM
Rookie

New Jersey
Pre-K Teacher
Pre-K Daily Reports

Hi, I'm just curious what other Pre-K teachers include in their daily reports.

Thanks in advance!
Annie

Old 06-04-2007, 05:24 PM
Fanatic

PA
Middle School FACS
Do you mean a daily report that is given to parents? If so, we don't do them for the Pre-K kids. We do them in the infant, toddler and Young Pre School (the 2s) room but not in our 3-5 Pre School age room. We do have a one page sheet for the week where for each day we write down one thing we did in the morning with the kids and one thing in the afternoon. This sheet hangs on our "parent board" and when the parents pick up the kids they see it. Also, our weekly lesson plans are posted in a place where the parents can see them so anyone who wants to is welcome to read them if they want a bit more info about our week. We do daily art projects and they get sent home with the kids the following day. And any type of writing we do with the kids gets sent home as well.
Having said that, if I were to suddenly have to start sending home daily reports to the parents I would include the following:
what the art project was
what books were read at circle time
what science activity we did
and a space for any additional info I'd want to write - for something special that happened that day (like today our cacoons hatched and the moths came out - I would write that on it).
Old 06-04-2007, 05:33 PM
Rookie

New Jersey
Pre-K Teacher
Thank you for sharing that information.

Right now we're currently sending out a daily sheet that includes what we did during morning meeting (basically who the calendar helper & weather person were), the stories we read throughout the day, math, literacy, science, fine motor, gross motor, small group, and large group activities. It really seems like a lot of information, so I was hoping to get an idea of what types of information other classrooms are sending out. I am new to this class, and mostly curious if this is typical.

Thank you!
Old 06-04-2007, 07:34 PM
Phenom

Texas
Kindergarten Teacher
This is based on a center i worked in several years ago. The last place I worked in only had reports for infants - two's class.
Name
teacher/s name/s
Circle One:
I ate all of my lunch today/I ate half of my lunch/I did not like my lunch
Circle One:
I had a good day/I was in time-out for_____
My favorite thing today was: (fill in 1-2 activities)

Additionally, the lunch and lesson plans are posted in the hall and in the classroom.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:35 PM
Fanatic

PA
Middle School FACS
One tip I can give to make your life easier with this type of a form is that as much as possible make up your form and have options to circle. So let's say for fine motor you have always one of the following: legos, puzzles, Lincoln Logs, Tinker Toys or Pegs. On the paper have those 5 things written and then each day just circle whichever one you did that day. Or if 4 are pretty common but there are a few other things you do then write out the 4 and have a blank space for the days you do something different. Make sense?

I did this when I was the 2s teacher and it made filling out the forms so much quicker b/c most days I could do a circle for most of the activities and just have to handwrite a few things. We always do a tactile which is either rice, water or playdoh. So on my sheet I have written:
Tactile: rice water playdoh
then I just circle the one we did that day. Much quicker then having to write the word "playdoh: or "water."

So I would suggest to take 2 hours or so to make up a computer form with as much pre-filled as possible and only write what you can't do as an easy circle. Like the name of the child of the day you'd write in.

In my personal experience most parents give the daily sheet such a quick glance that anything you can do to make it quicker to fill out is really worth it. They still get to find out what happened during the day but hopefully you can spend less time writing it out.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:01 PM
Novice

I do not send home a daily report. I send home a Weekly Newsletter. It tells that parents the basic activities we are going to do that week, Important Dates and anything else I want them to know for the week. I know only about half my parents read these so if I sent them every day it would be a waste of time.

I do send home daily reports for a few children with behavior issues. These are much more specific for these children however.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:17 PM
Maven

U.S.A.
Retired Preschool Teacher
I send home a weekly newsletter and it lists the basic art/story for the day and anything special that we are doing. Daily, I write on a white board and it is very brief, basically a repeat of the activity and I add anything else that might be of interest. Honestly, not many parents take the time to read it so I could write that we blew our noses all day and no one would know the difference!! They are in such a hurry to pick up their child and go home that they almost have nervous break down every night!!!
Old 06-05-2007, 06:56 AM
Comrade

We have our daily reports prewritten out with some spaces to write in what changes. Eg. Our special kid for the week is always blank or the the theme line is always blank so we just write that in.

we have a spots too circle as well. how long they napped.

We have space at the bottom where we write in and personalize it. Eg.
Emily loved playing with blocks this morning. She did hit another child today while playing and we talked about that. She loved to help her other friend with a puzzle.This afternoon she enjoyed playing with a friend in the dress up area.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:58 AM
Rookie

New Jersey
Pre-K Teacher
I was under the same impression - that parents appreciated receiving the information, but didn't pay too much attention to it.

I got word today that shortly before I started in the classroom (I have worked summers at this center, just graduated from college and took a head teacher position, so I'm new to the classroom, not the center), parents were raising concerns with the director about the type of activities that were related to math specifically.

I like the idea of creating a sheet in which I circle the activities that we did. Since I am new to the room, I am still going through closets and shelves discovering all of the different games and activities we have. By creating a form like this, even if I didn't use it to give to the parents, it would help me get a better idea of the options that I have for each 'subject area'.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:59 AM
Rookie

New Jersey
Pre-K Teacher
And THANKS! to everyone for their ideas! I appreciate it

Tags
daily, prek, reports