A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Fifth Grade

Old 06-02-2007, 10:49 AM
Cohort

Oklahoma
Kindergarten Teacher
Class theme for 5th grade

I just got assigned to 5th for next year. I would like to have a theme for the room. Any ideas? I don't want to be to babyish or cutesy. I would like to have a theme that can carry throughout the year.

Old 06-02-2007, 11:14 AM
Virtuoso

US of A
3/4, Classical Educator
I haven't had too much time to think about themes yet. I never really seen themes done in upper grades. But here are some ideas I thought about:
rock 'n roll
ocean
Old 06-02-2007, 11:37 AM
Cohort

Oklahoma
Kindergarten Teacher
I was kinda thinking something like Journey to Success as a classroom theme. Maybe with a road going around the room or something like that.
Hey Peachy, have you thought of joining the postcard exchange? I just did and that's why I was thinking about a theme with roadmaps, roadsigns, etc. I just think it will be a fun way to teach geography and visit different states. 5th grade is going to be so fun!
Old 06-02-2007, 11:45 AM
Virtuoso

US of A
3/4, Classical Educator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoover
I was kinda thinking something like Journey to Success as a classroom theme. Maybe with a road going around the room or something like that.
Hey Peachy, have you thought of joining the postcard exchange? I just did and that's why I was thinking about a theme with roadmaps, roadsigns, etc. I just think it will be a fun way to teach geography and visit different states. 5th grade is going to be so fun!
Yes, I'll have to join! Thanks for that idea. I like your idea of Journey to Sucess as a theme.

Well, I just went there and they already have 2 people for CA. Oh well.
Old 06-02-2007, 12:03 PM

Florida
Character ed themes are great for this age group because they are very conscious of social interaction and peer influences. Have you ever gone to www.teachingtolerance.org ? It has a lot of good free materials.
Old 06-02-2007, 12:17 PM
Cohort

Oklahoma
Kindergarten Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachyness
Yes, I'll have to join! Thanks for that idea. I like your idea of Journey to Sucess as a theme.

Well, I just went there and they already have 2 people for CA. Oh well.
Man, that stinks. I think your class would be great to exchange postcards with. If you get into another exchange, let me know, I would love to work with your class. You seem very enthusiastic and I think it's contagious because I caught it. Thanks for that.
There are also Flat Stanley projects that I thought would be fun. You might look into those.
Old 06-02-2007, 12:23 PM
Cohort

Oklahoma
Kindergarten Teacher
I definitely want to teach Character Ed in my class. Maybe use a character word of the week. Thanks for the Char. Ed. website, I will definitely use it to get ideas.
Old 06-02-2007, 12:25 PM
Companion

Arizona
5th Grade Teacher
I am going to teach 5th next year too and I am going to have a similar theme. Kind of a USA based theme. Not so much patriotic but more about road maps. I am going to have a HUGE map of the US and a medium map of AZ (where I'll be teaching).

I have been an avid post card collector for several years and by having the very large map I can put the post cards on it. I have also heard of a program called Trucker Budies International that pairs truck drivers with classrooms.

I really favor the use of maps because you can tie so much of the curriculum and lessons tot he overall theme. By the 5th grade, maps can be used in math, writing, reading, art, social studies, science (enrgy and green ways to travel and transport goods)

This is probably not the direction you are headed but because I am leaning towards a USA theme and I want to introduce students to American institutions I may label the classroom library the "Library of Congress", the science center "the Smithsonian" - Maybe not so much label the centers as coincidentally have a picture of theose buildings near those centers. I think I will also have a time line that includes when each state joined the union and then incorporate student birthdays by having a board that reads "these students joined the union..."

I keep a 3x5 spiral notebook and whenever I have an idea or read a good idea I write it in my notebook. Eventually I will weed out the ideas I do not want but it helps me to create a cohesive idea about how will organize my classroom and how it will look. This of course is ironic since I will not see my classroom until the week befor school starts. Which, I guess is all the more reason to really be thinking ahead.

After reading your post I am thinking it would be cool to include street/road signs into my theme.

Also with a "Journey to Success" theme you can talk about different kinds of transportation and travel... ships, horse and wagon, space, motorized vehicles, transportation over time etc..

Good luck! Have great year!
Old 06-02-2007, 12:41 PM
Cohort

Oklahoma
Kindergarten Teacher
Thanks, I am really getting excited. My school sits on old route 66 and this year is Oklahoma's centenial year. There is so much that I think that I can pull into this theme. My mind is spinning with ideas.
Old 06-02-2007, 04:18 PM
Phenom

Nebraska
ELL
I did a theme last year with Put Your Best Foot Forward. Could you use shoes with the kids names and include the quote about "A journey of a thousnd miles begins with a single step."?

Tags
5th, class, grade, theme