A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Secondary Education Archives

Old 05-29-2007, 06:22 PM
Companion

Indiana
How to decorate high school classroom?

I was a traveling teacher this year, but I'm getting my own classroom next year. I teach high school English. Does anyone have any ideas? How can I creatively and cheaply decorate my classroom? If anyone has pictures of their classrooms, please PM me and I'll send you my e-mail! Thanks!

Old 05-29-2007, 09:57 PM
Comrade

Texas
Official Bio Teacher!
I've been wondering the same thing!
I want my room to be fun but not too cluttered or childish.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:57 PM
Novice

Colorado
English Teacher
As a first year teacher next year, I'll get to decorate my room here in the next few weeks. (The department head is letting me start early!) My plan is to choose my favorite quotes from literary works or literary figures in history and post them all around the room. I'll layer one piece of colored paper on top of another (to create a border) and write one word of the quote on it. Then I'll do it again and again until each word creates the whole quote. I plan to choose a BUNCH of different quotes until I think the room has my own personal charisma. And, I'm partial to stars, so I think I'll do something with stars in our school colors, too.

Oh! And I also want to find some 6-trait posters to hang up too, but I want some freebies. Anyone know where you can get those "cheasy" posters that teachers have around their rooms all the time?
Old 05-30-2007, 12:14 PM
Novice

Texas
High School Spanish Intern
www.teachersdiscovery.com has lots of great stuff for decorating.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:37 PM
Companion

SW Wisconsin
To begin the year, you might want to start with some simple things like quotes an inspirational/motivational posters. I also like maps (state, county, country or world) because kids like to look at them during down time (before or after class).

As you go into the year, it might be worth considering a "Word Wall" where students pick vocab words to put up in large letters then either a definition or helpful way to remember it written smaller. You could also put up projects around the room. In English you could assign time lines, Venn Diagrams for comparison/contrast, or some type of art work that depicts the literature. It is a nice way to have the students take pride in their work.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:03 AM
Companion

Wyoming
Get some plants that are hard to kill. I went through a bunch of flowers this year- but my bushy plants lasted....
Old 06-01-2007, 08:24 AM
Companion

High School English Teacher
Go to www.allposters.com
This website has some good educational posters and, if you check back, you can find some good sales.
I also make sure that I have bright bulliten boards and, throughout the year, I do post students work around the room. I know that sounds childish but they do love coming into the classroom and seeing their work displayed.
Another thing I do is I make sure that I have inspirational quotes posted around the room and I decorate my door with my name and some boarder of some sort.
Old 06-01-2007, 05:33 PM
Comrade

Arizona
Biology Teacher
I just got a huge poster at Bryce Canyon National Park that I intend to hang in my room. checkout places that you visit for intersting things to decorate with. It adds personality to your room.
Old 06-01-2007, 05:42 PM
Comrade

PA
High School Learning Support
Artwork is great, as well. I am not currently teaching (but actively job hunting!), but have two posters with artwork from Greek mythology. One is a Salvadore Dali (I believe) print of "Narcissus" and another is the "Lament of Icarus." Art related to literature is fun, and adds pictures rather than words.

Of course, as everyone else said--quotes, especially inspirational!

Bulletin boards are, of course, helpful. I know many high school teachers don't like bulletin boards, but they can be very helpful. While student teaching, I taught Romeo and Juliet to a tenth grade learning support class, so I posted the whole plot on a bulletin board, color-coding each major event by Act.

I also use "Arts Corners"--for any grade. It's an interactive bulletin board, where each day you focus on a different "art" (literature, drama/acting, dance/movement, visual art, music). I usually make a sign for each art, and place the focus in the center for that day. The rest of the board can be decorated any way. My last one was framed by a pre-made/store-bought Stage bulletin board cut-out. Although this goes into pedagogy more than decoration (but it's all connected anyway, right?), the kids actually enjoyed the "corner"/board. They'd look each day to see what ridiculous thing I'd make them do. It was just meant to be a 5-10 minute activity that related the content to art. I used this with Shakespeare, and it's probably best with theatre/drama, but can be used for anything (again, mythology comes to mind).

As a final suggestion (for now), don't forget to include things you like--sports, music, places, etc. Show the students that you're an individual, too!

Tags
classroom, decorate, high, school