A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Elementary Education Archives

Old 05-21-2007, 08:02 PM
Novice

What is your definition of "citizenship" award?

I am required to give a Citizenship Award to a boy and a girl from my room. I have 6 boys, and well, it's hard to choose. They've all been in trouble. Some are very smart.
So, since I'm a new first grade teacher, what qualities would you look for when choosing a student for this particular awar?

Old 05-21-2007, 08:21 PM
Connoisseur

Midwest
1st Grade Teacher
We give a citizenship award to one boy and one girl in each classroom. We give it to the boy and girl who always went above and beyond in helping others.

Personally, I wish we did not have awards at the end of the year.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:31 PM

Florida
To me, being a good citizen means following the rules, being willing to work hard, helping others, being responsible for one's own property, being respectful of other people and their property.

We don't do awards like these, either.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:31 PM
Companion

Alabama
I don't have anyone to give this type of award to. They won't let me give out The Biggest Baby Award, The Diva Award, The Bratz Award, The Energizer Bunny Award, and my favorite The I Don't Know How To Stop Talking Award!
Old 05-22-2007, 07:33 PM
Multitudinous

Ontario, Canada
Grade 7/8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momzoid
I don't have anyone to give this type of award to. They won't let me give out The Biggest Baby Award, The Diva Award, The Bratz Award, The Energizer Bunny Award, and my favorite The I Don't Know How To Stop Talking Award!
I have candidates for all of these as well!
Old 05-22-2007, 07:51 PM
Companion

Alabama
Isn't it sad. I am having a hard time giving out awards. At my school everyone gets an award. I had three that I could not think of what to give them so they will get a friendship award. they do not deserve this one but I have to give something.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:07 PM
Connoisseur

Midwest
1st Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momzoid
Isn't it sad. I am having a hard time giving out awards. At my school everyone gets an award. I had three that I could not think of what to give them so they will get a friendship award. they do not deserve this one but I have to give something.
That is how we feel too! This is why I hate giving out awards!
Old 05-22-2007, 09:20 PM

Illinois
Preschool Teacher
At sumer camp that my church runs every year, EVERY kid gets an award at the end of the week, and we DON'T duplicate awards... some are similar, but never exactly the same. We typically have over 75 kids, so we have to get REALLY creative (lots of the youth/adult conuselors have come several years, so, when possible, we try not to give a lid the same award they won the previous year... you remember the memorable ones!).

Some were SUPER easy, but other kids stump you until the last minute. They wouldn't let me give the Paranah Award to the kid who had to be in control of every situation, dominated every activity, and never stopped talking. I can't remember what we ended up giving her. But we would sometimes go with "coolest shoes" or something when we couldn't come up with anything else.

My favorites:
Longest shorts/shortest pants award (a boy who practically wore highwaters... we couldn't tell if they were too-short pants or too-long shorts)
Watermelon and American Cheese award (a VERY picky eater, this is about all she ate all week!)
The "Houston, we have a problem" fishing award (guess what he kept announcing while they were fishing?)
Old 05-23-2007, 03:27 PM
Rookie

South Texas
2nd Grade Teacher
I am having the worst problem coming up with awards too. The awards that I came up with were, "Loudest Whiner," "Slowest Worker," "Most Likely to Start a Fight," "Most Absences," "Tattler Award." Too bad that I can't give these ones out! If nothing else I made my partner teacher laugh!
Old 05-23-2007, 04:25 PM

USA
Kindergarten Teacher
I am giving out 22 trophies for many different things, 2 perfect attendence, and a t-shirt to all the students and staff.

Tags
award, citizenship, definition