A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Preschool

Old 05-16-2007, 06:35 PM
Newcomer

NZ
Bored 4 year old need ideas

My daughter who has just turned 4 can read most basic level one readers, write and spell 3 letter words, her name and some other big words. The problem is I want to extend her as she is getting bored with the basic stuff I am giving her but I dont want to extend her too much before she starts school next year. In terms of the rest of her development she is a normal 4 year old, loves singing, playing games, running around and asking heaps of questions and has a brilliant memory.
Any ideas would be great.
Thanks

Old 05-16-2007, 08:23 PM
Devotee

California
Early Childhood Teacher
Have her start journaling. Get a "Mead Composition" type book and have her draw with colored pencils, crayons, or markers. Then have her write beneath her drawings. You can begin with phonetic words of items in her pictures, then progress to phonetic sentences. She can write about stories you have just read, things you do, places you go, etc.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:46 PM
Comrade

CT
Kindergarten
I agree with journal writing. Have her practice writing. She can help write items for your grocery or "to do" list. Writing to relatives or friends (especially those who are likely to write back) can be fun and rewarding.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:56 AM
Newcomer

Hello,

Have you ever thought of your daughter learning a musical instrument? There are keyboards that can be purchased inexpensively and there is a new theory book that uses symbols instead of notes to teach kids how to play mother goose songs. You put tabs that match on the keys and they have their own sheet music. It is good for memory, reading and attention building skills.

-pianoteacher, mother of a four-year old girl as well
Old 05-21-2007, 09:13 AM
Groupie

Arizona
Homeschool teacher
try
www.learningpage.com
its free.
They have some neat units and monthly pages for up to 3rd grade plus animal & planet facts.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:13 AM
Groupie

Arizona
Homeschool teacher
learning page is free.

also try
www.familyfun.com
for some fun projects
Old 05-23-2007, 12:53 PM
Cohort

Alaska
Kindergarten Teacher
Let her be a kid! Dont push her too much. Kids this age learn best through play. She'll learn mathematical concepts through building blocks, develop her hand muscles for writing through activities like playing with sand, water, shaving cream, and play dough. She'll develop gross motor skills through running around outside, climbing trees, etc..

Let her explore her world and make discoveries on her own. And if you are looking to foster creativity (which will lead to developing problem solving skills), give her some big paper and high quality art materials (paints, markers, crayons) and let her go nuts!

Remember socialization with peers is also VERY important during this age as well as emotional growth. Make sure to teach her conflict management and to use her words.

Go to the library and read everything by Alfie Kohn and Bev Bos.

I know this probably wasn't the answer you were looking for, but I hope it helps!
Old 06-12-2007, 09:54 PM
Newcomer

NZ
I dont push my daughter into anything, she can read because she decided that she wanted to, i provide her with books and the ability to create her own books and she loves reading and being read to. She writes because she sees her name in print and can figure out how other simple words are spelt.
She loves playing with bubbles, plays running races on the way to kindy as we walk there, counts cows and sheep and adds them together and then delights in telling me exactly how many there are.

Quote:
Let her explore her world and make discoveries on her own
. she makes pretty much all her discoveries on her own, she decided that she can count by tens and hundreds and thousands now and is a very self praising child, she always congratulates herself. I just find that it is vital to keep one step ahead of her even though it would be lovely to expand her sideways instead of up so she isint to far ahead as I had bad experiences of the same thing.

She loves drawing, thanks to a previous idea she has also started to draw pictures and write under them which she adores and always begs me to help her do.

Quote:
socialization with peers is also VERY important during this age
she dances into kindy every morning greets all the teachers (there are 5 of them) and all the children by name (there are about (40) of them. She learnt all their names by the time she had been there a week. She has conversations with everyone and all animals that she passes on her travels and is very polite (has been using please and thank you etc since 1 1/2). She doesn't have any emotional and social problems and doesn't mind that not all other children can remember her name, she knows how to solve problems by going to the teacher and only uses her words.

She is a very happy grounded child, she just gets bored and frustrated sometimes because i do not want her to get to far ahead, she can quite happy sit for 1/2 hour and ask me math problems, or how to spell 20 or so words.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:09 PM
Maven

Preschool Teacher
ditto to puff!

I agree with other posters, but especially Puff! Let her take it easy over the summer! She has more growing and exploring to do...on her own.

I was like her some many moons ago. Back then,they promoted kids who were 'smart'. Called it a 'making a double', or skipping a grade. When I started kindergarten, I was reading the teacher's lessons plans! I clearly remember the meeting with my parents, teacher and principal, and I was tossed in 1st grade the next day!

I guess it was good to a certain extent..I just don't remember why. All I remember was having an inferiority complex because the other kids always teased me, called me the baby, and were always jealous of me. Even my family labeled me, "you're supposed to be the smart one!"

This followed me all the way to high school, when a driver's ed teacher found out I was not 16, and told the whole class! The teasing started all over again!

Now they have gifted and talent programs, where kids have pull-out class time. The also have gifted/talent specialty arts schools. (good ideas Piano teacher!) The smart ones are challenged with extra work, but they are not removed from their peers. I think kids need to be kids, and stay with their own age group.

How do you know she is bored? What does she say? What does Dad say? What do her playmates say? Make sure you are not speaking for her, and maybe a little worried that she is not 'keeping up with the Jones' if you have nieces/neighbors speaking 3 languages!

just my opinion

My parents just went along with the school. But I don't feel they realized my social life was affected.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:51 AM
Newcomer

NZ
I had a terrible time at school as well with bullying which is why as ive already stated i don't want her to get to far ahead. I had a reading age of 16 before I went to school, i was my teachers teacher aide, i taught children reading and maths when i was nine. I didn't really mind doing it but i got a lot of hell in the playground for it. My parents tried holding me back three classes, so that I was the same age as children in my class but by then I was so bored I had lost interest in school and i knew the stuff already.

I don't see where you get that im the one pushing her into stuff, shes the one who wants to do it. Her playmates adore her, they run up to her and greet her, play etc. I worry that shes getting too far ahead , not that she isint far enough, i don't particularly want her to know 3 three languages or all the countries of the world at 4 which is why i don't go and write on some of the forums which expect you to be trained your child to do this. She tends to be the child that other children are judged against rather than me looking at someone else and thinking my daughter isint adequate.

She loves reading and writing but she loves learning new things, she always asks how to spell new words and whilst I want to encourage in it. I don't force her to learn things, she loves doing it. I try and encourage her to do other things instead of reading and writing but she is the one initiating it. If I let her be and let her do what she wants she will be onto chapter books before school

She doesn't know her father but both her grandparents encourage her to be her which I think is wonderful. I have already told one of the who is a remedial teacher for all school levels not to label her as gifted or bright as I feel this puts to much pressure on her and I dont see her as this, to be she is just her.

Oh and how did asking for ideas on how to extend a child who you can tell them something once and they know it change into a conversation on pushing children to hard??

Tags
bored, ideas, year