A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Job Seekers

Old 05-05-2007, 06:47 AM
Comrade

Florida
Cover Letter Example

Many people here have read Jimmy Sweeney's Top 10 Secrets of the World’s Greatest Cover Letters

However, I am not sure how many have seen his tips in action...

Just last week one of my college students took my advice to heart and wrote a cover letter using some of the tips discussed in Jimmy Sweeney’s report.

I was quite impressed. I cannot post the teacher cover letter here as it is too difficult to get the format just right…and it is the format that is so important.

I did post the example cover letter for my newsletter subscribers on one of my web pages so if you are interested and want to read it you can do so here:
http://www.teaching-tips-machine.com...ver_letter.htm

--Adam

Old 05-05-2007, 07:45 AM

USA
Kindergarten Teacher
Hi Adam,
I used some of Jim Sweeny's advice on a cover letter. I just couldn't bring myself to do the bullets. I did get an interview from this letter.

I would love the opportunity to be interviewed
for the grade one teacher position.

Dear Ms. So and So,

I have spent the past year teaching ten students in kindergarten through eighth grade. My experience has shaped me into an observant, flexible teacher dedicated to guiding students toward ongoing success. My lessons are differentiated to meet the needs of each individual student. I simultaneously taught the alphabet to a five year old and multiplication facts to a ten year old, while also keeping the other students on task. I am a master planner, and I can readily adapt my plans to accommodate a variety of educational backgrounds. Also, this year I have incorporated the Responsive Classroom model in my school. The students have responded wonderfully to it. This has reinforced empathy, cooperation, and communication within and between the classrooms.

With these unique strengths, I write because I am moving to Southern Maine in June, and I seek a position as an elementary school teacher within the ABC Community School.

I hold a Bachelors degree from University of Maine-Orono in Elementary Education with a concentration in Early Childhood/Human Development, and I have met the Maine State requirements for a highly qualified teacher.

I am excited about the possibility of a personal interview to further discuss my qualifications with you. I can be reached at (my number). Enclosed is a copy of my resume, application, teaching certificate, three letters of reference and transcripts. Thank you for taking the time to review my credentials and to consider me for employment with your district.

Best Regards,
Old 05-05-2007, 08:50 AM
Comrade

On an island
K-1 Multiage Teacher
Great letter Jaime!
Old 05-05-2007, 06:11 PM
Comrade

Florida
Great job Jamie!!!

The point is not to do everything that Jimmy says to do in his report...the point is to make your cover letter stand out!

Your cover letter got noticed. You made a few simple adjustments to the traditional cover letter and yours stood out!

Good for you!

--Adam
Old 05-05-2007, 06:22 PM

USA
Kindergarten Teacher
To bad half the jobs I applied to were online applications.
For those I went with a more traditional. Do you have an suggestions on how to change it to make it stand out in an online application?

Dear Mr. So and So,

I would love the opportunity to be interviewed for the grade three teacher position. With my degree in Elementary Education and teaching certificate, I am extremely interested in teaching at ABC School.

For the past year I have been teaching in a small school in Wesley Maine, with ten students in kindergarten through eighth grade. My experience has shaped me into an observant, flexible teacher dedicated to guiding students toward ongoing success. Due to the wide age range of students, my lessons are differentiated to meet the individual student needs. It is common for me to simultaneously teach basic addition skills to a kindergartner and multiplication facts to third and fourth graders, while also keeping the older students on task as they independently work on their math assignment. Also, this year I have incorporated the Responsive Classroom model in my school. The students have responded wonderfully to it. This has reinforced empathy, cooperation, and communication within and between the classrooms. This experience has taught me to readily adapt my plans to accommodate a variety of educational needs backgrounds.

Due to family obligations, I plan to return to Southern Maine upon completion of the school year. It is my hope to be able to acquire an elementary teaching position within the ABC School Department. The combination of my educational background and the unique skills I have acquired by teaching in this challenging environment has shaped me into a diverse teacher who would be an asset to your school system.

I am excited about the possibility of a personal interview to further discuss my qualifications with you. I can be reached at (my number). Thank you for taking the time to review my credentials and to consider me for employment with your school department.

Best Regards,
Old 05-05-2007, 06:51 PM
Comrade

MI
Music Teacher
I'd make sure to be clear and highlight things that you can't highlight on your resume.

Last edited by meatball77; 05-05-2007 at 06:55 PM. Reason: content
Old 05-05-2007, 08:36 PM
Cohort

Glendale, AZ
I took your letter with bold text and rearranged two sentences...deleted the enclosure sentence...and made sure it could be readable in an online application text document... it still works....
-------------------------

Dear Ms. So and So,

I would love the opportunity to be interviewed for the grade one teacher position. I hold a Bachelors degree from University of Maine-Orono in Elementary Education with a concentration in Early Childhood/Human Development, and I have met the Maine State requirements for a highly qualified teacher.

I have spent the past year teaching ten students in kindergarten through eighth grade. My experience has shaped me into an observant, flexible teacher dedicated to guiding students toward ongoing success. My lessons are differentiated to meet the needs of each individual student. I simultaneously taught the alphabet to a five year old and multiplication facts to a ten year old, while also keeping the other students on task. I am a master planner, and I can readily adapt my plans to accommodate a variety of educational backgrounds. Also, this year I have incorporated the Responsive Classroom model in my school. The students have responded wonderfully to it. This has reinforced empathy, cooperation, and communication within and between the classrooms.

With these unique strengths, I write because I am moving to Southern Maine in June, and I seek a position as an elementary school teacher within the ABC Community School.

I am excited about the possibility of a personal interview to further discuss my qualifications with you. I can be reached at (my number). Thank you for taking the time to review my credentials and to consider me for employment with your district.

Best Regards,
Old 12-12-2008, 04:54 PM
Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaimeMarie View Post
To bad half the jobs I applied to were online applications.
For those I went with a more traditional. Do you have an suggestions on how to change it to make it stand out in an online application?
How does cover letters work when it comes to online applications. Do you just fill out the application first and wait for them to ask for a cover letter/resume?
Old 12-12-2008, 05:04 PM
Devotee

Also, I am only truly interested in 2nd through 5th grade. SHall I put this in the cover letter, or shall I remain open to all positions?
Old 01-18-2009, 08:49 PM
Devotee

1st Grade Teacher
Does anyone know if there is a rule of thumb about pictures on coverletters?

I saw a cover letter online that had the name and address of the person centered with pics on the side corners.

Tags
cover, letter