A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > General Education Archives

Old 04-15-2007, 01:49 PM
Rookie

Washington DC
4th Grade Teacher
Student Returning from a suspension

I have a student returning tomorrow from being suspended for 20 days for bringing a knife to school. The student shows little remorse and many of my students are afraid to have him return tomorrow. Several students have emailed me or left mesasges on homework hotline that they feel very very nervous about tomorrow and wonder if the student will try anything. Any suggestions on how to help smooth this transition? While the student was suspended we did a bunch of community building activities to try and re establish that our classroom is a safe place and that we are a community.

Old 04-15-2007, 02:19 PM
Comrade

My Classroom
I would try to carry on as usual and include the child as if nothing happened.
Old 04-15-2007, 03:25 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by newindc
I have a student returning tomorrow from being suspended for 20 days for bringing a knife to school. The student shows little remorse and many of my students are afraid to have him return tomorrow. Several students have emailed me or left mesasges on homework hotline that they feel very very nervous about tomorrow and wonder if the student will try anything. Any suggestions on how to help smooth this transition? While the student was suspended we did a bunch of community building activities to try and re establish that our classroom is a safe place and that we are a community.
What about setting up a metal detector? (Okay, not helpful! ) Seriously, though, do you have an onsite counselor who could talk w/all the students? And counsel them how to be aware of potentially dangerous situations and how to deal with them in ways they won't be harmed? Is there anyone else (administrator, chair teacher,...at your school) who could help you with this?
Do you have an onsite community police officer? I don't blame the other students for feeling afraid, especially since you say the student is not showing remorse. What have the other students' parents said about this? Because if the other students are worried, it sounds like the student is known as a bully, too, and their fears are realistic.
I'm sorry, I wish I could be helpful here, because this is a definite concern. God bless you all.
Old 04-15-2007, 03:43 PM
Rookie

Washington DC
4th Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by eduk8r
What about setting up a metal detector? (Okay, not helpful! ) Seriously, though, do you have an onsite counselor who could talk w/all the students? And counsel them how to be aware of potentially dangerous situations and how to deal with them in ways they won't be harmed? Is there anyone else (administrator, chair teacher,...at your school) who could help you with this?
Do you have an onsite community police officer? I don't blame the other students for feeling afraid, especially since you say the student is not showing remorse. What have the other students' parents said about this? Because if the other students are worried, it sounds like the student is known as a bully, too, and their fears are realistic.
I'm sorry, I wish I could be helpful here, because this is a definite concern. God bless you all.
*sigh* In the time since i posted this i had two more students call my homework hotline to express that they're scared of tomorrow. My administration doesn't seem to think this is anything to be concerned about - I teach in downtown DC and am a first year teacher who relocated from Indiana. Our onsite counselor will be out of the building tomorrow however I fully intend to have a couple kids email her about how the day went. The security at the school consists of 3 adults who are not police officers. The school did nothing to notify parents - I spoke with a handful of them and most express concern at which point I advised them to contact the principal and academy directors. The student is known as a bully and is VERY disruptive (imagine that) even on a daily basis. I think the amount of learning that did occur in the time he was gone will help the other kids but no one wants to sit next to him and no one wants to be his bathroom buddy. My kids want absolutely NOTHING to do with him given the things they're saying and emailing him. There is a man at school who has worked with my class before who I am having sit in for the first two hours tomorrow and kind of assist in my classroom incase anyone needs to take a break from it. My student who is most concerned we talked Friday and at Saturday school about his plan (1. take a deep breath and reassure yourself you will be ok and that school is safe 2.write in his personal journal about how he's feeling 3. move to a different spot of the room where he feels safer 4. take whatever we're working on and go to one of my friends classrooms until he's ifnished with that work).

One of the things most upsetting to me is the lack of response my administration had to all of this. During the childs suspension I tried to talk to my administration about their lack of response and was told as a first year teacher i just dont understand the discipline policy and that i just have to deal with it. BUT that's a whole different conversation
Old 04-15-2007, 03:48 PM
Connoisseur

Southeast
yikes. i will definitely be praying for you! i'm sure everything will be fine tomorrow. i'm curious though.. if the child has been out for 20 days, then who said that he's not showing any remorse?
Old 04-15-2007, 03:56 PM
Rookie

Washington DC
4th Grade Teacher
School psychologist who has to speak with him weekly as part of his suspension education plan.

He and I also talk weekly and emailed a few times. He doesnt understand that the other kids were upset/scared because they didint know why he had it. We talked very early on in the year while reviewing the school handbook about why weapons aren't allowed. And the psychologist and i tried to explain the other kids didnt know why he had it and he had made threats the day bfore about how he was going to hurt 3 kids in my class and me (unbenounced to me) so then when he showed up with a knife the next day.

Also kids from my class and others who have seen him outside of school said he thinks its funny.
Old 04-15-2007, 04:32 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by newindc
....he had made threats the day bfore about how he was going to hurt 3 kids in my class and me (unbenounced to me) so then when he showed up with a knife the next day.

Also kids from my class and others who have seen him outside of school said he thinks its funny.
I'm sorry, I don't get an administration who thinks that is not a serious issue. I feel so bad for you and for your students who have been threatened. One of these days, a teacher or student who has been hurt by such a student is going to sue, and then I think that this sort of thing will turn around. I mean it, the districts (and not just in U.S., from the news clippings my British friend sends) are so afraid of being sued by behavior problems' parents that they forget their duty to provide a safe work and school environment. Que malo, how sad.
Old 04-15-2007, 04:37 PM
Rookie

Washington DC
4th Grade Teacher
I definitely agree "how sad". While he was out we did a persuasive writing unit and I had 7 kids choose for their final project to write letters to the public charter school board about the incident. one kid worked with his mom to find the address and then he and all the kids who did it sent their letters and submitted copies for their final project. talk about being intelligent kids!!!!! i was shocked. they have not gotten a response and many of htem included the many ways i tried to get the administrationt ot ake it seriously as well as finally realizing nothing would be done andbringing in outside resources to talk to my kids about school safety, how to handle their feelings, etc.
Old 04-15-2007, 07:07 PM
Companion

Have any of the parents contacted the principal directly? I think that he/ she may be more apt to do something about the situation if alot of you parents start to complain. Print out all of your emails and type out all of your messages from the students. Document everything that you can. I know that in my local district, if there is documented proof that a child is regularly disrupting the learning in a classroom, the teacher can request to have that child removed permanently. Is the suspended student going to continue to recieve one on one counseling???
Old 04-15-2007, 07:24 PM
Rookie

Washington DC
4th Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherwannaB
Have any of the parents contacted the principal directly? I think that he/ she may be more apt to do something about the situation if alot of you parents start to complain. Print out all of your emails and type out all of your messages from the students. Document everything that you can. I know that in my local district, if there is documented proof that a child is regularly disrupting the learning in a classroom, the teacher can request to have that child removed permanently. Is the suspended student going to continue to recieve one on one counseling???
I have documented everything including every single phone call in which the situation was mentioned and every conversation I have had with the psychologist, principal, academy director. I learned taht lesson during student teaching when it became important in a situation there. This student was on a behavior plan before the incident so i have TONS of documentation of the disruptive behavior as well as documentation of all the behavior plans and strategies that i have implemented since then. Unfortunately we can not request the child being removed permanently. The child will receive counseling still - he sees the school psychologist 1 time per week (she has a MASSIVE caseload). I dont know if any of the parents contacted her directly - I can only hope they did. Tomorrow is definitely going to be interesting.

Tags
returning, student, suspension