A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Elementary Education Archives

Old 04-13-2007, 03:14 PM
Connoisseur

Illinois
1st Grade Teacher
How do you set up your class library?

I'm preparing to (hopefully) have an elementary classroom next year, and I was wondering how you set up your library (organization, check out, displays of books you've read or author studies, etc.).

Any ideas?

Old 04-13-2007, 03:20 PM
Novice

Connecticut
3rd Grade Teacher
I have mine organized by reading level and then fiction and non-fiction...we are lucky enough to have recieved 12,000 worth of classroom libraries per classroom this year which made this a much easier task!!
Old 04-13-2007, 03:31 PM
Connoisseur

Illinois
1st Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink
I have mine organized by reading level and then fiction and non-fiction...we are lucky enough to have recieved 12,000 worth of classroom libraries per classroom this year which made this a much easier task!!

Whoa..... $12,000 of books per room???
Old 04-13-2007, 04:06 PM
Virtuoso

US of A
3/4, Classical Educator
I plan to orgnize my books similar to how this teacher. She has a lot of great ideas.

http://hill.troy.k12.mi.us/staff/bne...ganization.htm

You can also download the book basket lables.
Old 04-13-2007, 04:08 PM
Novice

Connecticut
3rd Grade Teacher
yea we have an amazing community partner with St. Paul Travelers!
Old 04-13-2007, 04:52 PM
Companion

I love Mrs. Newingham's classroom library! She has over 2,000 books in her library catalog. I downloaded her book basket labels, and her genre posters, as well as her thumbs up and thumbs down sign, and her thick and thin question posters. Even if I don't end up using them all, they are nice to have.

I have started my own book collection, and I have about 50 books for grades 2-6. When I see deals I can't pass up, I can't help myself. I've got several Magic Tree House books at Walmart for $2.50 each, and a hand full of bargains at Books-A-Million each for a dollar or two each. Then there is a used book store where I live that will accept trades, and she has a good selection of kids books, but I only get the ones that are in really good condition. There is going to be a used book sale at the library at the end of the month that I am looking forward to. I am very interested in childhood literacy and literacy across the curriculum- and I plan on getting a masters in reading instruction.
So I figure that I need to start building a stash now. Plus its fun! :-)
Old 04-13-2007, 04:54 PM
Rookie

Texas
Technology Teacher (K-4)
I use an adapted version of Newingham's organization. A large majority of my books are leveled and they have different dot combinations so my first graders can easily choose "just right" books for their browsing bags. The unleveled books are sorted into fiction/nonfiction categories.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:36 PM
Virtuoso

US of A
3/4, Classical Educator
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariah
I use an adapted version of Newingham's organization. A large majority of my books are leveled and they have different dot combinations so my first graders can easily choose "just right" books for their browsing bags. The unleveled books are sorted into fiction/nonfiction categories.
This works great for the lower grades. I don't plan on leveling my books because I want my 5th graders to know how to find books that are just right for them. I found a poster somewhere online. I know I bookmarked it. But, this poster explains how to find a book that's just right. I only plan to put my books in order by genres.
Old 04-14-2007, 07:48 AM
Connoisseur

Illinois
1st Grade Teacher
So, what kind of range of books do you purchase in terms of reading level? (For example, if you teach second grade, you have kindy through fourth grade, etc.) As a teacher starting out (not yet knowing what grade I'd teach in the el ed years), what would be a good starting point?
Old 04-14-2007, 08:31 AM

Florida
Me, too, peachy. My library is ordered like a real library. Fiction by author, separate section for fantasy, historical fiction. Biography and non-fiction are by subject. Reference books are in another section. I keep class sets of books out of reach, except for one or two on the shelves.

Tags
class, library, set