A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Examinations for Teachers > Basic Skills Tests

WARNING: According to National Evaluation Systems, Inc., the developers of the CSET and other tests, posting of actual test questions by registrants of the CSET and other tests is in violation of a contractual agreement and can result in liability by the poster for monetary damages or other legal remedies. If you have registered to take the CSET and other teacher licensing tests, review the Rules of Test Participation. All messages express the views of the author, and A to Z Teacher Stuff, LLC will not be held responsible for the content of any message.

Old 04-01-2007, 01:18 PM
Rookie

fl
That darn math gk test!

Help!
I am mathmatically challenged!. I have taken the math portion of the gk test three times and cannot pass! I have gotten a tutor. I purchased the Cliffs Test Prep ,did not work for me!!taken a class and yet still no pass. I have trouble with word problems ( algebra, and geometry) in particular. This test is so hard for me and the study guides and information I have gotten so far has not helped. Is any one aware of any good websites for word problems much appreciation!

Old 04-01-2007, 01:24 PM
Multitudinous

NEW YORK
Math teacher
I'm not, sorry.

But a LOT of word problems are so much easier if you can break down the information into a chart. Could you give me some idea of the content-- the types of word problems? I'll see if I can help.
Old 04-01-2007, 01:41 PM
Rookie

fl
thanks I have tried to organize the info to better solve the problem, I get scrambled up with what to do first. problems involving area and conversions from ft to yards, also the ones for geometry where you have to find the angle when about 5 are intersecting? Also scale problems where you have to go from inches to feet. Thannks!
Old 04-01-2007, 01:49 PM
Multitudinous

NEW YORK
Math teacher
How about this for both sets of conversion problems:

make a chart (my favorite phrase in verbal problems.) On one line, list the first unit, on the other the second, along with the conversion scale.

For example, let's say you want to convert 17 feet into yards.
Here's your chart:

Feet: 17 3
Yards: x 1

(the 3 over the 1 represents the fact that 3 feet equal one yard.)
Then make them into a proportion and cross multipliy:
17/ x = 3/1 3x=1(17) divide both sides by 3. x=5 2/3

Is that kind of what you mean?

Exactly which test are we talking about? Is there a website I could take a look at?
Old 04-01-2007, 05:33 PM
Rookie

fl
yes thats helpful. The test I am trying to pass is the General Knowledge Math Test. It has four parts , Language Arts , Reading , Writing and Math. I believe it used to be called the CLAST test.
Thanks
Old 04-01-2007, 06:54 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
FTCE General Knowledge is more nearly a basic skills test than it is a multiple subjects test.

The Competencies document for this test, http://www.firn.edu/doe/sas/ftce/pdf/ftcomp82.pdf, sketches out an exam that looks a good deal like PPST/Praxis I and CBEST; threads on this Basic Skills Tests subforum discuss these exams, and you may find some of the resources here helpful.

Proportions are wonderful tools for solving conversion problems, distance problems, and what my students call "flagpole-and-tree problems", after a certain notorious example. These are all rate problems - " 30 miles per hour" and "30 miles per gallon" are two fairly famous sorts of rate, and both can be written 30/1. Other rates include "feet in every yard", "gallons of paint to cover 10 square feet", "number of M&Ms per handful", "gold stars for each child", "2 minutes to chop three carrots", "10 boxes of Girl Scout cookies eaten in two days", and "a flagpole 20 feet tall casts a shadow 15 feet long".
Old 05-22-2007, 06:09 PM
Rookie

Covington Georgia
Middle School Teacher
Did you pass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mviera
Help!
I am mathmatically challenged!. I have taken the math portion of the gk test three times and cannot pass! I have gotten a tutor. I purchased the Cliffs Test Prep ,did not work for me!!taken a class and yet still no pass. I have trouble with word problems ( algebra, and geometry) in particular. This test is so hard for me and the study guides and information I have gotten so far has not helped. Is any one aware of any good websites for word problems much appreciation!
Hi- I am new to the forum and have been frantically trying to find help with the GK Math portion of the FTCE. Ive taken it 2 written and 3 computer!! I see you had the same feelings as I back in 2006. Did you finally pass...what did you do to prepare. Please pass on any usefull info.

Thanks for your time.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:56 PM
Newcomer

Can anyone help me or have any useful tips with the math section of the GK? I've taken it so many times and am having a hard time passing.I plan on trying again this summer. PLEASE HELP!
Old 07-05-2007, 04:47 PM
Newcomer

Florida
Middle School Teacher
I just got my score and have taken it on the computer three times. I made 195 two times in a row. I have to take it again on July 27 to be able to teach this school year. I went to my local college to get a tutor...How about you?

Tags
darn, math, test