A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Elementary Education Archives

Old 07-13-2003, 05:08 PM
A to Z Teacher Stuff Owner

Missouri
Former K/1 Teacher
[ROOM THEME] Decorating the Classroom for a Year-Long Solar System Theme

I am going to decorate my room with a solar system theme this year. I have a few ideas, but I would like to compile as many ideas for this as possible. I'm sure there are tons of things I could do that I probably won't think about.

Old 07-13-2003, 06:07 PM

Illinois
Preschool Teacher
Fairly standard, but to get you started...

*Glow-in-the-dark stars on the ceilings (maybe you can actually put them into constellations, that would be pretty cool)

*Space fabric for bulletin-board backgrounds

*Maybe you can find some way to put part of a rocket in your room? Your kids would love that (OK, there's the idea, up to the rest of you to figure out how to make it work)

*The stars in ___'s room (b-board)

*use a rocket picture on the wall with stars when your kids reach individual or class goals (This is one idea I'm taking with me from my stay in England...it the school I was in, they had each kid pick a personal goal for the specified time period...6 weeks or whatever, they set it themselves... "I am not going to call out during carpet time. I'm not going to fight on the playground" "I'm going to play nice games" "I'm going to use more adjectives in my writing." "I'm going to write my letters and numbers the right way around" etc... when they reach it, they get a star to add to the rocket... when the rocket is "filled" they get a reward of some sort.)

Hope that helps.
Old 07-13-2003, 06:19 PM

Missouri
Former K/1 Teacher
Thanks, clarnet73!! (Are you feeling better today?)

Here's what I have so far...

Maybe this would work for the rocket idea you had clarnet73... Hang a space shuttle kite from the ceiling. Here it is at amazon.com:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/re...rowse/-/589132
(I think it would be so cool... It's really big!)

let's see if the image will display...

I have also seen a classroom that had a rocket (teepee style) where the kids could go in and read. I don't know if it was made from cardboard or what.

All the kindergarten teachers hang something outside their door as "landmarks" for the kids. I have ordered a small inflatable space shuttle to hang outside our door.

I like the constellation idea... I already have glow in the dark stars I can use.

I saw a saying on a banner at a teacher store... "If you shoot for the moon, you'll land among the stars..." I could use that somewhere.

What can I do with planets? I have some 2 sided cutouts that I can hang.

What about nametags? We start the year with nametags for the first week. I usually make them out of fun foam or some other durable material. I can't do a star because another teacher uses a star. (There are 12 kindergartens, and we all have to do something different so people can see whose class they are in at a glance.)
Old 07-13-2003, 06:49 PM

Louisiana
4th Grade Teacher
During my methods classes we taught a lesson on space. To create the stars we used black fabric with Christmas lights underneath. I have used the same idea in our Planet Elections and added poster board. I poke holes in the shapes of constellations and stick the lights through, then cover with the fabric.
Another idea is not so much decorating, but just a fun thing to do. When we watched the launch of one of the shuttles the kids were intrigued by how the astronauts were sitting so during one of our lessons they all layed on the floor with their feet up in their chairs. They loved it!

Christy

PS ~ Of course for snacks there should be Milky Ways involved!
Old 07-13-2003, 09:15 PM
Cohort

Southwest Missouri
Hi Amanda! A solar system theme will be fun!

The Space Capsule Craft on this site would be fun to do:
http://www.dltk-kids.com/crafts/space/space.html
You could hang the capsules from the ceiling with the kids pictures above their desks/tables so they would always know where to sit.

This site has fun crafts, activities, dramatic play ideas, snacks, etc. There were cute ideas for making space helmets, space suits, rocket ships, etc. Many of the ideas you could use throughout the year.
http://www.childfun.com/modules.php?...rticle&sid=143

I think it would be really neat to have a pointer with a star on it. If you use a glow in the dark star, you could turn the lights on during overhead time (if you use yours) and it would be neat for the kids to see.

ebay: Package of 700 Solar System Stickers for $1.25 plus .60 cents shipping.
There is also a solar system shower curtain (cute backdrop for reading corner/center), solar system floor puzzle, Blue's Clues solar system game (super cute), miniature NASA astronaut, etc. I'm a cheapskate, so I LOVE ebay!

Foam rubber pieces to walk on. Feels like you are walking on the moon. (At least my brothers and I use to think so!) They have lots of foam rubber at Surplus City, if you know where that is. It might be fun to have in the reading corner to sit on. Nice and comfy!

You might look for an astronaut costume for your dramatic play center.

I'll keep thinking about this. You already have a lot of great ideas and others have given some great suggestions.
Old 07-13-2003, 09:21 PM

Missouri
Former K/1 Teacher
Lanie, I have to stay away from ebay, or I'll waste all my time browsing. I have been watching for a solar system floor puzzle that is going cheap... Waiting patiently... I'll have to check for those other items you mentioned!
Old 07-13-2003, 09:29 PM
Cohort

Southwest Missouri
I found this site for the NASA Educators Resource Center for Missouri. It is located in Cape Girardeau. http://www2.semo.edu/nasaerc/home.htm
The site indicates there are lots of things you can get for free like posters, bookmarks, etc.

You have to do something with the Hubble Space Telescope since you teach in the astronomer's hometown!!!
Old 07-13-2003, 10:31 PM

Missouri
Former K/1 Teacher
We can go visit the replica Hubble telescope, can't we? I don't think I have even done that yet... and I used to live 2 blocks from the square.

Now you've got me looking at ebay again, and I've found so many cool things... I am also a Curious George fan, and there are a ton of things with Curious George as an astronaut. Good thing I am taking my last Master's class this week, because I won't have time to look.

Thanks, Lanie!
Old 07-14-2003, 08:44 AM

Illinois
Preschool Teacher
Could you use small rockets for your nametags?

P.S. Yes, Amanda, I'm feeling MUCH better today.
Old 07-14-2003, 10:07 AM

Louisiana
4th Grade Teacher
Amanda, I forgot to mention. I took parti n a wonderful program called "Science is Out of this World". It is sponsored by LPB and I went through a local university. They send you tons of resources for teaching space and a set of video on lessons. The same organization sponsors a space camp for kids during the summer at the same university. I know in 4th grade I can use a lot of the information, the lessons are designed as experiments and activities done during a space flight.

Christy

Tags
classroom, decorating, room, solar, system, theme, yearlong