A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > Job Hunting & Interviews

Old 03-07-2007, 05:12 PM
Newcomer

Iowa
Family and Consumer Science
Help with these application questions!!!!!!

I am a first time user of this site. I am getting back into teaching (believe it or not) after 20 years. I was busy raising children and have been subbing for the last 10 years. I am using an on-line REAP application. It has the following questions-
1.)What are your 3 most important reasons for wanting to be a teacher?
2.)How much do you want to know about your students in order to be helpful.
3.)What 3 things do you most want to know about your students.
4.)What do you need to know in order to begin your lesson planning for a class?

(I think the questions 2-4 are very similar, BUT how could I answer them different enough since they are all required to be answered)

5.)What 4 key components do you believe you must include in your plan?
6.)List and describe 2 core teaching strategies you most utilized in your classroom?
7.) When you think about your students, in what major ways do you most want to influence their lives?

I have been looking through the site and for all the interesting and helpful ideas. I need to send the info. in by March 11, so any help would be appreciated soooooooo much!

Old 03-07-2007, 05:15 PM
Phenom

Hey congratulations on re entering the field. Welcome to A to Z too.

Before I get to the questions, I just thought I'd redirect you to another thread on here that may help you once you get interviews. It is called, Let's start some interview practice...
Old 03-08-2007, 05:16 AM
Phenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by willsgirl3
I am a first time user of this site. I am getting back into teaching (believe it or not) after 20 years. I was busy raising children and have been subbing for the last 10 years. I am using an on-line REAP application. It has the following questions-
1.)What are your 3 most important reasons for wanting to be a teacher?
2.)How much do you want to know about your students in order to be helpful.
a lot

3.)What 3 things do you most want to know about your students.
Off the top of my head---
prior knowledge
what motivates them
what is their learning style

4.)What do you need to know in order to begin your lesson planning for a class?
-the goal
-does what you teach meet the state mandated education requirements
-Prior knowledge

(I think the questions 2-4 are very similar, BUT how could I answer them different enough since they are all required to be answered)

5.)What 4 key components do you believe you must include in your plan? Sounds like a trick question do they mean written plan? If so I would say these things
Anticipatory Set:
Lesson Objective(s)
Mandated requirements met?
Explanation/Modeling:
Guided Practice:
Check for Understanding:
Independent Practice:
Closure:
Assessment:
Or do they mean in your actual teaching?- then I would say that you are hitting the learning styles, using manipulatives, engaging the student etc

6.)List and describe 2 core teaching strategies you most utilized in your classroom?
7.) When you think about your students, in what major ways do you most want to influence their lives?

I have been looking through the site and for all the interesting and helpful ideas. I need to send the info. in by March 11, so any help would be appreciated soooooooo much!
l
Old 03-08-2007, 09:45 PM
Newcomer

Iowa
A little more info.......

This is a position that the current, but retiring teacher has been asking me about over the years. It is only about 6 miles from where we live(Though this is not the school district that our sons attend)I have subbed for her over the years both by the day and also for a 10+ day stint several years back. I have also subbed several other long term assignments for 3 middle school teachers plus days for numerous other teachers in the high school and middle school there. I have also subbed at other schools besides scout leader, Sunday School teacher,plus other leadership roles. It is known to many people that my husband and I have 4 active,well-behaved, smart sons. Mentioning this could express something about my(our) ability to handle discipline,train and balance life's events. I think my cover letter should briefly focus on this part of the last 20 years in addition to the 5 years I initially taught. I started a middle school program and also a FCS dept. sponsored student organization. How much of this should I mention and how would I put into words????
Old 03-08-2007, 09:53 PM
Newcomer

Iowa
Thank you Miss Frizzle.

Thank you so much for the kind words of welcome and your initial advice!! It looks like from the other threads that you have helped a lot of people needing advice. I appreciate your promptness.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:59 PM
Newcomer

Iowa
Also thank you lemonhead!!!!! You had excellent thoughts of what to say. I felt unsure of the correct terms and phrases to express the answers to the questions on the application.

Tags
application, questions