A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Kindergarten

Old 02-20-2007, 08:51 PM
Cohort

USA
Observation Lesson Ideas Needed

Hi Everyone!
I'm being observed by my principal a week from tomorrow (Wed) and need ideas on what to do for my lesson. I either have to do literacy or math lesson. I teach kindergarten. One area we are working on is rhyming.

I was thinking of having students graph jelly beans by color (J letter week). We did this with candy hearts during Valentine's and it was a big success. However, I'm not sure if this is an appropriate lesson to focus on.

I was also thinking of reading a story and having students write their favorite part, but my students struggle with writing.

Any suggestions and ideas would be greatly appreciated as I am completely stuck about what to do.

Old 02-20-2007, 09:16 PM
Phenom

Keep it simple.....

What topics are you working on in Math...?
Old 02-20-2007, 09:33 PM
Cohort

USA
We're focusing on counting by 2s, 5s, and 10s and rote counting. I'm an LST and this is all the teacher wants me to focus on in math. Other than graphing. The other option is to have the children create patterns, but I want to included a formal lesson I teach the students before they go off and do independent practice.

For literacy options is this - Read The Foot book by Dr. Seuss (since it's Read Across America Week next week). Students create a page in a class book entitled "Our Feet Can..." and they write what their feet can do then draw a picture. However, the prinicpal already observed me doing an adjective lesson using a book when I was observed before I got hired.

Please give me SPECIFIC examples of ideas you have in math or literacy for k. I want to teach whole group first, then have children do work independently (not just be observed having children do independent work if that makes sense).
Old 02-20-2007, 09:37 PM
Phenom

I think you can do alot with the counting... Perhaps using a line on the floor and having the kids physically move around..... I'm thinking... I'll be back

But do you get the jist?
Old 02-20-2007, 09:39 PM
Phenom

There is a book called, Cat Up a Tree that talks about counting by 5's I think. I have to find the author.... or you could do a search..
Old 02-20-2007, 09:50 PM
Cohort

USA
The only concern with a lesson on counting by 10s is what the independent practice would be? I could have them cut out hand prints and then make a banner of their handprints and use that for counting by 10s, but I'm not sure if there would be any independent practice.

Any other thoughts? I'm getting nervous thinking about this, and I'll feel more confident once I have my lesson plan thought out.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:55 PM
Phenom

What you really want to illustrate is the patterns.... so why not print out a page with the numbers and then have them color the boxes so they can see the pattern. Have them tell you what they notice about the counting by 5's 10's etc. What do the numbers end with?
Old 02-20-2007, 09:57 PM
Aficionado

California, USA
2nd & 3rd Grade Multiage
For independent practice, you could have them shade in the 10's on a 10x10 squares handout. It would show the pattern visually, so it counts as differentiated (visual) teaching, too.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:58 PM
Phenom

thanks changeofcareer... that's what I was getting at.. but I think I confused Maithal... sorry.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:01 PM
Phenom

something like this

http://www.321know.com/k4b_cox1.htm

Tags
ideas, lesson, needed, observation