A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Secondary Education Archives

Old 02-11-2007, 08:27 PM
Novice

North Carolina
language arts
ISS/OSS

I am so frustrated with our school policy of ISS/OSS. I feel as though the six or so students who do everything they can to get into ISS/OSS are running the sixth grade hall. Any kind of suspension is a joke to these students. They're out of class for a few days, classes run smoothly in their absence, and then they're back, only to start the whole process all over again.

Admin. is not addressing the ineffectiveness of ISS/OSS. Does anyone else out there have this frustration or is this just something at our school?

I have a student returning tomorrow...and I'm dreading it. I hate to admit that, but there it is. I'm dreading her return.

Old 02-11-2007, 08:36 PM
Devotee

California
Kindergarten Teacher
Will you identify what ISS and OSS are??
Old 02-11-2007, 08:44 PM
Comrade

ISS = In School Suspension
OSS = Out of School Suspension

My school uses them, too. For some students, neither is effective, in which case I am not sure what they do. We have Monday After School Detention, because students get out an hour early. For those students who have to have that detention, they are not allowed to leave until 3:00 -- typically they have to be picked up by parents. That works for some.

I had one this year that NOTHING worked for. He ended up moving. I don't know how he is doing now, but I hope someone found something that worked for him.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:45 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
Unless I'm mistaken, they are "in-school suspension" and "out-of-school suspension", respectively.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:59 PM
Novice

North Carolina
language arts
Yes, they are in-school suspension and out of school suspension.
I my head and in my heart, I know these children (and yes, they are children) are simply doing what gets them attention at home or are modeling what they've learned. But I have 30 or so other students in each block who are NOT doing their darndest (which isn't the word I wanted to say) to get out of class to see all of the other kids in ISS.

Admin. is doing its best, I think, but our students who are sent to ISS/OSS show up in our homerooms in the morning saying, "I need work for three days." We do so much in-class work, having an ISS regular show up for three days worth of work is a joke. And most of the students who end up in ISS/OSS don't do the work they're given to do when they've been removed from classes.

The thing is... I ache for these kids. I can see them throwing so much away, and I can't stop them from doing that. SIGH
Old 02-11-2007, 09:12 PM
Novice

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by srh
Will you identify what ISS and OSS are??
ISS = In-School Suspension
OSS = Out-of-School Suspension

I've yet to work in or hear of a school where ISS and OSS were anything more than a brief respite from chronically disruptive students. Every teacher I've ever met has lamented that ISS is no deterrent to students. So, what is to be done?

We could start by making the ISS room physically uncomfortable--bright and cold would probably be the most unpleasant. Preferably, the room would have its own toilet facilities-a small, attached bathroom...unisex. A simple brown-bag lunch delivered to the room with either water or white milk. The music of Mel Torme, Pat Boone, maybe a little Tom Jones thrown in for variety. Perhaps an ISS uniform, even.

But the sad truth is that even these measures would be meaningless. The real problem is that the ISS frequent flyers are often the most revered and adored among their peers and receive heroes' welcomes when they return from suspension. Until we can figure that one out, ISS and OSS will continue to be a joke.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:35 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
b-rad, that's the teacher's heartache. You have my sympathy.

CmsTigerGuy, I knew I liked you... For discomfort, Mel Torme's not the apt choice: I vote for Lawrence Welk - once saw a big bookstore, still full of people at closing time, that emptied within two minutes once that ol' Champagne Music started playing.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:53 PM
Aficionado

Kentucky
Middle School Teacher
We had a really good ISS teacher who made them work and it was not a fun place to be. He could actually get work out of some kids when nobody else could.

Our ISS this year is held off-site, at the alternative school.
Old 02-12-2007, 03:26 PM
Enthusiast

California
High School Teacher
In school suspension and out of school suspension usually do nothing to change the real problem kids. They would rather be there than in your classroom. Using such consequences can actually cause them to act worse, not better.

What kids do not like, and are therefore willing to change their behavior to avoid, are lunch detention, after school detention and Saturday school.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:02 PM
Novice

North Carolina
language arts
Here's another of the dilemmas we face at our school re: ISS/OSS:

The half dozen ISS regulars on our team go out of their way to get ISS. They'll admit to it and laugh about it. As a team, we don't want to be reeled in on that one, but the reality is, when 25-30 other students get cheated out of class time because of one or two peers, it's frankly easier to get the culprit out of the classroom and move on.

We had a conference today with one student, his mother, his social worker/therapist, anadmin. and all four core teachers. He point blank said that ISS is a joke. We all acknowledge this at our school, but so far, no one has come up with a solution.

I very much appreciate your reflections on this unfortunate revolving door. And I LOVE the idea of Lawrence Welk!

Tags
iss or oss