A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Kindergarten

Old 02-11-2007, 01:31 PM
Comrade

So. California
Teaching numbers 11-20

I am looking for some new activities to teach the numbers 11-20. Our math program doesn't cover these numbers well, and we are required to teach them. I would also love some worksheets that I could send home for homework. Here are some activities I use:

1. make necklaces with that number of beads
2. write the number then stamp it on the page (they do it 6 times on the same page)
3. write and count out that number of erasers onto a laminated page (they can do it six times on a page)
4. cut out and glue that number of items to a page
5. using number cards (like flashcards) and a laminated number page, match the numbers 1-20 then copy them onto another piece of paper.

Old 02-11-2007, 01:58 PM
Multitudinous

NEW YORK
Math teacher
Hi Sue,

Is there anything here you can use?
http://www.edhelper.com/math_preschool_counting.htm
Old 02-19-2007, 03:57 PM
Comrade

Georgia
Kindergarten Teacher
I play a game (and the children love it) I have signs around the classroom with numbers 11-20, the number words, and that number of pictures on the page. Then they choose a sign and stand by it. They have to tell me what number they are standing by (if they don't know the number or number word, they count the number of objects on the page) (If a group of three or four is by the same sign, then I pick a certain one to tell me the answer) Then after everybody tells me what number they are standing by, I pick a number out of a bucket and those by that number sit down on the carpet until the last person is standing.
Old 02-19-2007, 04:09 PM
Groupie

Texas
I'm bringing this back to the top because I am looking for exactly the same thing as Sue Hue. I googled "11-20 math activities" and came across this thread! LOL Anyway, my kids have mastered 1-10, and now we're going to hit 11-20 hard next week. Thanks in advance for any fun, independent, math center ideas for numbers 11-20 you are willing to share
Old 02-19-2007, 05:17 PM
Enthusiast

NJ
We spent a lot of time working on identifying numbers 11-20.

We worked on identifying the numbers 11-20 by identifying the numbers on the calendar.

We practiced making groups of numbers on the felt board.

I made number puzzles with paper plates. I wrote the number on one side and put stickers on the other side. I cut them in half and the children had to match the number to the correct set.

We would practice making numbers out of playdough.

We would look around the room for different numbers.

I also took an egg carton and wrote different numbers inside each section. I then put a penny inside and let the kids each have a turn to shake it. They would open up the carton and they would have to tell me what number the penny was on. They loved that activity!

I have a number line from 1-20 and each child will have a turn to jump to a number I gave them.

I turned out the lights and we used a flashlight to find the number I gave them. I would say "Where is 18, Where is 18." The student would shine the flashlight on the number and say "Here I am , Here I am." They loved it!

Hope these help
Old 02-19-2007, 05:34 PM
Maven

U.S.A.
Preschool Teacher
Those are really great ideas AMK. I teach Preschool kids so we are working on the 1-10 numbers right now, but I have a feeling we'll be moving onto the 11-20 on up real soon. We have been counting to 100 on our number chart and they just love it!
Old 02-19-2007, 05:55 PM
Enthusiast

NJ
Sometimes we would make the numbers out of bodies. They enjoyed that too!
Old 02-19-2007, 05:56 PM
Devotee

California
Kindergarten Teacher
My students are making number lines during centers, coordinatiig with the current theme. For example, last week for "Wheels Go Around," we photocopied pages of little cars with numbers (1-30) inside. Students cut them out, and glue them in order onto the strip of paper. This week, we're using pics of roller skates. It also provides for "fun" and easy practice at home.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:00 PM
Newcomer

Tennessee
Kindergarten Teacher
for numbers 11-20

Here are two suggestions that I use that could be altered to suit any teacher. When we line up to leave the classroom I have a container of large craft sticks numbered from 1-20 (more if there are more students in your classroom). Each students draws a stick and lines up in numerical order. They learn number sequence along with number identification and other math skills.

I also lamenated construction paper each labeled with numbers 0-9. I used two different colors and of paper and divide the class into teams. I give verbal clues as to the number i am thinking of. The team has to respond by running to a designated spot. I begin simple and as we progress I make the problems harder. ex. How many legs does an octopus have? How many fingers do we have? What is one more than 12? What is one less than 19? ect.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:48 PM
Companion

Wisconsin
Kindergarten Teacher
These are great ideas! Today my kids played a game where they rolled 2 or three foam dice (from Oriental Trading) then have to count the number they get and write it on a sheet of paper. They took turns with a partner, and even though there is no objective to win the game, they still got excited to see how many times they got a "9" or an "11".

Tags
1120, numbers, teaching