A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > General Education Archives

Old 01-31-2007, 06:14 PM
Rookie

Maryland
Black History Month door decorating

Hello All

For Black History Month at my school, we participate in a variety of activities. One of these is a mandatory door decorating. The theme is "African Americans - From Bondage to Freedom." After a bulletin board, essay contest, books, etc etc I am OUT of ideas. Can anyone get me started? I'm usually pretty creative, I think that all my juice has dried up from so many activities (plus I'm a first year! )

Thank you thank you thank you for any help!

Old 02-01-2007, 04:19 PM
Groupie

Pennsylvania
The Underground Railroad springs to mind. There were various signals that runaways looked for among them are quilts hung on clotheslines, the North Star, and lawn jockeys. A quick search will give you more information. Kids could make quilt patches to cover the door. There are some historians who don't believe these stories are valid though. The significance of lawn jockeys is widely believed but a quilt would be easier to use to decorate. you could teach songs like Follow the Drinking Gourd if you're using the star information. Sounds like fun!
Old 02-01-2007, 04:51 PM
Rookie

Maryland
You are fabulous! Thank you soooo much!
Old 02-03-2007, 10:33 AM
Phenom

Nebraska
ELL
Building on the Underground Railroad theme-have the starting point be slavery and include important milestones with dates/events on each. Use cutouts of stones, treetrunks, etc. that slaves would pass. Maybe there is no end since we are still working on the equality issue today. Have the path go over the horizon.

Tags
black, decorating, door, history, month