A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Elementary Education Archives

Old 06-01-2003, 04:01 PM
Rookie

3rd grade reading

I am developing a 3rd grade reading curriculum based on themes and using trade books. I have finished the 2nd grade one and it is based on 9 themes (some cross curricular with social studies and science)and each one has 4 books. I realize 3rd grade will need to have fewer because they are capable of reading longer passages, but I need suggestions. I thought one could be an author study of Beverly Cleary, one a comparative study of fairy tales (ie Cinderella), and one an ocean theme. Any ideas for additional themes or great books for 3rd graders to fit into a theme? Thanks

Old 06-01-2003, 04:28 PM

Illinois
Preschool Teacher
Going with the Cinderella theme, Ella Enchanted is a good one, and I think most kids around 3rd grade can read it if they're at grade level... the 3rd graders (I think) at the school I student taught at were reading it... great story.
Old 06-01-2003, 06:29 PM

I teach 3rd grade, and we use Amelia Bedilia. It's great for teching idioms, and theme. The kids really love it.
Old 06-01-2003, 08:45 PM
Novice

3rd reading

I know our school uses the 'Julian' books with our 3rd grades. 'The stories Julian Tells' is one of them, I know there are several other ones.
Old 06-01-2003, 08:53 PM

Florida
Ella Enchanted is more for late fourth/fifth grades. Some kids love Beverly Cleary, but some find her writing dated. The Bunnicula books are really funny (James Howe) and there are several sequels. The Secret Garden is a great one for good readers.
Old 06-02-2003, 08:10 PM

We do The True Story of the Three Little Pigs and other variations of The Three Little Pigs such as The Three Little Wolves and The Three Javelinas. We've also done variations of Cinderella such as Cinder Ella, Dinorella, and The Rough Face Girl, and then the children wrote their own version. They were surprisingly good! Oh, yes, and we performed a play called Spiderella. Another fun one to do is The Emperor's New Clothes and The Principal's New Clothes.

At Thanksgiving we always do a Pilgrim unit starting with If You Sailed on the Mayflower in 1621 and then reading Samuel Eaton and Sarah Morton, two books that use photographs showing reenacters from Plymouth as the characters. Then we read How Many Days to America and Molly's Pilgrim about more modern pilgrims. We compare and contrast the 1621 Pilgrims to the modern pilgrims and to us! The children learn a lot about the value of freedom.
Old 06-03-2003, 12:27 PM

third grade theme books--long

I am REALLY into books and themes! Some of the below books are probably reading level 5-6 (the classics 160-180 pages). We read them as a class, taking turns reading out loud or I read them to the class.

The Big Balloon Race by Eleanor Coeer (I can Read, level 3). It is historically based and could work into a theme on transportation, flight, balloons, racing, or female pilots (or male for that matter!). In that same line (level 2?), is Angela's Airplane by Robert Munsch.

I just bought these books and am going to work them into themes (each about 180p): The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, The Adventures of Robin Hood, and Oliver Twist. I don't have anything in mind yet to go with them.

For Feb-March, when the Iditarod is going have planned The True Story of Balto or Balto (level 2 or 3). I can't think of the author right now. It is a true story about a sled dog. And along with that The Call of The Wild by Jack London. Will include with that Snowshoe Thompson (level 3) by Levinson. Dogteam by Gary Paulson (level 3).
LOTS of information at this site for study of the Iditarod, even some file folder games for the Balto book I think: http://www2.grand-forks.k12.nd.us/ms.../iditarod.html

For a western or wagon train days theme we are reading The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (about 180p), and these others level 3 books: The Golly Sisters Go West by Betsy Byars, Wagon Wheels by Brenner, Buffalo Bill and the Pony Express by Eleanor Coerr, and the Josefina Story Quilt by Eleanor Coerr.

A series of books the kids love is the Captain Underpants books by Dav Pilkey. I am trying to work that into.. something! A theme about heroes or about underwear?! Anyone have some ideas on books to go with this?

Polar Bears Past Bedtime by Mary Pope Osborne (level 3) The Polar Bear Son by ? or maybe igloo theme: The Igloo by David Yue (level 4?), Building an Igloo by Ulli Steltzer (level 2).

For a pirate theme, we read a couple of short books about pirates, one was Maggie and the Pirate by Ezra Jack Keats, and then we Read Treasure Island. We are just about to read Robinson Crusoe (184p).

Tags
3rd, grade, reading