A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Elementary Education Archives

Old 01-06-2007, 06:45 PM
Comrade

Santa Clarita/CA
K-6
Putting Words in ABC Order

I have 1st graders that have a difficult time putting their spelling words in ABC order. I have been doing this as a whole group, but I feel that they should be able to grasp this skill by now. I thought of making small flash cards with the spelling words that the students can cut out and place in ABC oder before writing down. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Old 01-06-2007, 06:48 PM
Aficionado

Massachusetts
5th Grade Teacher
I think the flash cards are a great idea. My third graders had a very hard time grasping the concept at the beginning of this year (apparently they had never done it before). I found that they got very frustrated with the assignment if they needed to erase because they forgot or misplaced a word. The flash cards would solve that problem.

One of the things I have my students do is write the alphabet down on a sheet of paper and cross out the letters as they go along. This keeps them from skipping letters.
Old 01-06-2007, 06:51 PM
Multitudinous

NEW YORK
Math teacher
I don't know how common this is, but my son's teacher had them number the words before they wrote them in order. If they somehow missed a word, at least all they had to do was re-number, not re-write.
Old 01-06-2007, 06:51 PM
Cohort

Michigan
My son just started doing abc order with his spelling words this year and he is in 5th grade! Personally, I think first grade is too soon.
Old 01-06-2007, 06:59 PM
Aficionado

Massachusetts
5th Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDUK8_ME
My son just started doing abc order with his spelling words this year and he is in 5th grade! Personally, I think first grade is too soon.
I don't think it's too early. They're definitely capable of mastering that skill.
Keep in mind, first graders don't usually have as many spelling words as the kids do in the older grades.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:02 PM
Cohort

Texas
5th Grade Reading
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDUK8_ME

I don't think first grade is too soon either. I do alphabetical order (whole group) with my kindergartners.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:20 PM
Devotee

USA
I teach 2nd grade and do the ABC order with their spelling words together as a class until December. I put the words on magnetic flash cards. I have them in order of their spelling in in their workbook so that it lloks the same. I have them number the words in school and then copy them in order for homework.
After the holiday break, they start doing it for homework.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:20 PM
Novice

California
You can put the week's words on word cards in a pocket chart. Then, you can mix them up and a warm-up activity, have the class help your or take turns putting words them back in order. At the end, mix them up again and let the students work in pairs using the pocket chart as one of your centers.
Old 01-06-2007, 08:13 PM
Habitué

I teach first and we often put our spelling words in ABC order. They have caught on pretty good this year.
Old 01-06-2007, 08:58 PM
Magnifico

Kindergarten Teacher
You could make a spelling dictionary.
Type all their words so far, then add lines under each alphabetical page for more words. Each page is a separate letter. It doesn't have to be ABC order under that letter.

Our kids copy their new words in it every Mon. Finding the letters with so many pages, helps master the skill (w/ practice). We follow up with ABC order homework. You can play games with it later too. "I know a word, starting with an "s" that is an animal." (snail) They can take it home for the summer. Also practice writing neat.

Struggle Prompts: Stop them on that page. Ask them to look at the ABC chart and find the letter from their page. Next, find the letter they need. Is it before or after?

Tags
abc, order, putting, words