A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Elementary Education Archives

Old 12-25-2006, 08:29 PM
Comrade

California
4th Grade Teacher
Constellation Art or Solar System Art Projects

I am going to be starting the unit on the solar system and I was wondering if anyone has any ideas for constellation or solar system art projects. I am looking for something that can be accomplished in class as they just finished their state reports before the winter break.

Old 12-26-2006, 06:10 PM
Companion

Georgia
Last year I attended a science workshop they sell glow in the dark paint and you can have the kids model the constellations and etc. Just idea it was really cool!
Old 12-26-2006, 10:53 PM
Cohort

Glendale, AZ
I personally like students to use thumbtacks and black contruction paper to make constellations.

The website below has the 88 modern constellations...
http://www.dibonsmith.com/graphics.htm

I like the site because it gives the sky coordinates and the other major stars in the sky as well.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:20 AM
Multitudinous

Calif.
In memory of Jon Hodge, director of the Santa Monica College Planetarium and science educator extraordinaire, let me share this link to the planetarium's Web site: http://www.smc.edu/planetarium/. The Astro-links link at the left side of the page will connect you to a number of cool astronomy Web sites.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:49 AM
Comrade

California
4th Grade Teacher
Those are both great websites!! I am definitely going to use the Santa Monica College Planetarium site, my students will love it, especially the sky report.

Research_Parent - Do you print out a copy of the constellation from that website you posted for each student, and how do your students judge where to punch the holes? Do you use a template? This sounds fun and easy to do.

Thanks again!!
Old 12-28-2006, 11:11 PM
Cohort

Glendale, AZ
I personally like to pick a constellation...
related to some other story or topic the students are studying at the time...I've used the Phoenix, Pegasus, Scorpion, Great Bear, Fish, Hercules, Orion, Lion, Hare...

I copy the constellation picture from the website into a Microsoft PowerPoint...enlarge the image to fit the slide (squarely in the middle), then, print off slides per page I want. (Handouts)

These (Handouts) miniatures become my templates. I'm extremely cheap so the templates are pasted onto empty cereal box/lunch entree cardboard for templates.

Students just press the pins in the actual constellation points and connect like on the template.

I use the images this way so I can use whatever I have at the time to make viewers with...paper rolls, cereal boxes, coffee can lids, various black construction paper sizes, etc. (and depending on the age group...larger images for younger groups)

I try to make items CHEAPLY so I use what's available to me...
Old 12-30-2006, 03:47 PM
Comrade

Victoria, Australia
Grade 5/6 teacher
My kids use balloons to make papier mache planets, painted to look like the actual planet. They look fantastic hanging from the ceiling. For Saturn I laminate yellow cellophane and draw black lines on it, then stick wire through the ball to make supportive struts for the rings to sit on.
We have also make planetary icosahedra (Google "planetary icosahedron" for that one) and wallpaper the windows (windowpaper?) with black card that we have punctured with knitting needles in the shape of the constellations.
Then we head out to the asphalt and draw a scale model of the solar system using chalk and strings.
I love the Earth and Space unit! :-)
Old 01-01-2007, 03:42 PM
Comrade

California
4th Grade Teacher
Mrs LC

On the planetary icosahedron, do you print them out in color for your students or do you print them in black and white and have the students color them in? That web site is really great!!
Old 01-04-2007, 05:54 PM
Phenom

Nebraska
ELL
Cover one end of a toiet paper tube with a square of paper. Then use a push pin to punch holes in pattern of a constellation. When you turn off the lights and shine a small flashlight in the tube you see the constellation as light shines through the holes.

Tags
art, constellation, projects, solar, system