A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > New Teachers Archives

Old 12-10-2006, 10:16 AM
Newcomer

Good Idea to Send a Card To Principal?

I completed my pre-student teaching fieldwork. This is the fieldwork that takes place the semester before a person student teaches. We taught two periods per day for six weeks at a local school. Would it be appropriate to send a Thank You card to the principal of the school thanking her for having me and letting me teach at her school? If so, how can I do it without sounding or appearing "corny?"

Old 12-10-2006, 10:34 AM
Cohort

USA
I sent a thank you card to the principal when I student taught. I don't remember what I said b/c it was a few years ago, but I felt it was best to do it. I would probably say something like this....

Thank you very much for the opportunity to student teach in your school with ______(teacher, grade). I learned a lot and enjoyed my experience. (Perhaps add one thing that you truly enjoyed about working in the school such as-the diverse student population, a particular program run in the school, etc.).

This is just a start as I can't think of what else you could say, but in any case, I think it's a nice gesture to write something to the principal.

Let me know how your letter goes and i you want you can PM it to me if you'd like before giving it to the principal.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:51 PM
Comrade

Minnesota
Absolutely send a thank you card. You are trying to make an impression to a potential future employer.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:35 PM
Cohort

Mississippi
8th Grade Science Teacher
I never thought about sending a letter to the principal. I did give the teacher a happy and a card for letting me take over her class. But, giving to the prinicpal is a good idea.

Michelle
Old 12-18-2006, 09:06 PM
Rookie

Pennsylvania
When I was in college the professors said a thank you card is a MUST for cooperating teachers and principals. This looks good for you and also for the college. They reminded us constantly at the end of each placement.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:18 PM
Cohort

Mississippi
8th Grade Science Teacher
I wish we was instructed to do this. I would have already taken care of it. I will send prinicpal one anyways since it has not been that long. Thanks for the advice.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:46 PM
Multitudinous

NEW YORK
Math teacher
I don't think it's corny, I think it's courteous.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:59 PM
Fanatic

Kansas
By all means send a Thank You note. You can write it on a Christmas card, if you like.

I would buy a cheap glass plate or bowl at the dollar store for a dollar and put oranges in it. I would hand deliver the plate of oranges and thank you note. Dress nice like for the interview. This is a wonderful time to make a lasting impression. Give it your all.

I give my principal a gift of oranges each Christmas.
Old 12-19-2006, 04:04 PM
Rookie

Pennsylvania
Hescollin, that is a very good idea!
Old 12-19-2006, 04:04 PM
Multitudinous

NEW YORK
Math teacher
What a nice idea!

Tags
card, good, idea, principal, send